Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1940 Ford Coupe, 1960’s mild custom, look familiar to anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theloosecannon707, Jun 3, 2019.

1. 284A4493-58E4-4C42-A9EA-193B5E47E244.png howdy,

I saw this 1940 Ford Coupe on ebay. I spoke with the seller and he said he bought the car and put in a warehouse in 1971 and hadn’t touched it since. From the San Fernando Valley area in SoCal.

Obviously tons of old customs out there and most are made by no one you’ll ever hear of; but just thought I would share and see if anyone has any ideas? Ild love to track down some history on it or find someone that knew it way back then. If the original owner is still alive he’s probably on here.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Stogy, Gasser 57 and BigO like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The car looks fairly stock with the exception of the headlights.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That's a good looking custom. Sure will look
    great restored. Looks like the higher light is located where the original light was.
    Glad it wasn't radically customized
    as was done to so many cars during the 60's.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Since little else was done to customize it other than the de-chroming (de-stainlessing!), the canted quad headlights and bumper removal, I would be sorely tempted to return it to a more stock look, but that's just me.

5. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Don't know anything about its history, but I kept lusting over those pictures on ebay. Most '40 guys seem to like Henry's headlight doors best, but I like the canted quads on your car. Hope you do a build thread. That thing screams early '60s.

6. Headlights, small block, and also they leaded up the vent just in front of the windshield. Pretty tame.

Stogy likes this.
  7. I think I will do a thread and keep it a 60’s era custom.

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I like the car there is so much potential.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Not a canted headlight fan with that car in particular , but if it does not have any real provenance , it is a perfect canvas to either go back to stock, hot rod or your ideas to make it a custom. Very cool.

OLSKOOL57 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

On second thought, the canted headlights may work depending how you trim it out around the headlights.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It would be great if you could keep the headlight bezels 'tight" and slim in the fenders so that the
    canted lights don't over power the front end as is so often done. You don't want to give it the "Space Ship Look". In this case, "Less is More".
    Will be very tasteful if done right. You could even make your own bezels.
    Here's a few photos.
    https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-history/canted-quad-lights/#.XPV4yhZKjcs

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can’t help you on the history, but I really like the looks of her. I’d do a hot overhead and a 4spd, then run her as is!

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  13. williebill

williebill

Love the look. Keep the quads, please

Stogy, Peanut 1959 and BigO like this.
  14. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

One of the biggest clues is the blue paint in the door jams. Surely there couldn't be two '40 Ford Deluxe coupes with quad headlights and teal/green paint and blue jams. Now, we just need someone familiar with the car to see this thread!

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations @theloosecannon707...ya done good and finishing it as the mild custom it was meant to be is admirable...Maybe it was done maybe not but if you can't find any reference material you can be the Pablo to put in the finishing Picasso...Get her down low and get some skirts going and perhaps some complimentary suitable non 40 Bumpers or nerf style Bars and some tinted glass...Chromed reverse or suitable caps...and on and on....

Look forward to your journey...;)

40FORDPU likes this.