Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Brake Parts

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by breakdown, Nov 6, 2013.

1. breakdown

breakdown

I was just looking for an opinion on the best place to get 40s Ford brake parts and drums. Thanks, breakdown

2. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Most of the aftermarket places sell rebuild parts....shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, that sort of stuff.
    Why '40 brakes, though? If you go for '46/7/8 Brakes you'll avoid the hassle of having to center the shoes.

3. Christom

Christom

If you need to start from scratch I'd look to C&G Ford in Escondido to get everything from the one place. New shoes can be the most tricky item to get from others without an exchange core. If you can afford the additional expense it would be worth going to the Bendix kits that Macs & Speedway sell - expensive though. Cheapest way is to rebuild an old original brake set up if you can.

4. Dick Spadaro,,,he's got what you want,,he's a Hamber and a great guy to deal with. HRP

www.dickspadaro.com

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

New wheel cylinders are always but they are 42-48 which makes no difference in function, just bigger cups. New drums are available. New springs are available. New shoe retainer springs are available. New shoes appear to be iffy but you can always redo your old shoes. Cams and shoe inserts are findable, new or used. Safety first.

6. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

7. Also try Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282, or Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202.

Charlie Stephens

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Sacramento Vintage Ford has brake parts for 40. I'm with what Rich said, re; centering and adjusting. Ford had a specific proceedure for doing a "Major Brake Adjustment", and the early shop manual is still being reproduced.

If I was doing it again with drum brakes, I would buy the complete Bendix style bolt on brake assemblies. Well worth the investment. I know that Speedway sells them, and possibly other vendors as well.

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK