Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford Bob Drake Running Boards

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MrPhat40, May 4, 2017.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

H.A.M.B'rs Have any of you 40 Ford lovers had experience with the Drake running boards?
    I have the opportunity to obtain a pair in exchange for my well used set. Just wanted to know of fitment issues and the like. As always I appreciate the vast knowledge and experience you folks possess.
    MrPhat40

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. Used a set last year, fit was great.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. I put a set on my coupe a little over a year ago. Great fit and a great product. I would recommend new bolts when ya do it, just because that makes the job easier.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. b-bob

b-bob

I put a set on my 39 deluxe a few years ago and they were perfect.

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I put a set on my coupe in 2015. Fit great. Holding fine.

6. Candfury

Candfury

A quality product.
    I've had mine for about seven years and they still look great.

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Very nice boards.

8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I used them on my coupe and delivery when I retired and very happy with the fit and finish... SIEBERT 2014 016.JPG

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used maybe 7-8 sets. They are very nice boards. Only issue was at front where they turn down on fender there can be a gap at the bottom--easy to tweak to fit. New bolts help and look right when looking in the back wheel well.

lothiandon1940 and LOU WELLS like this.
  10. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Bringing up an old post but I have been getting emails from Drake advertising his "new" running boards with vulcanized rubber pads. For those of you who have responded to this post...are your running boards "vulcanized" or are the pads glued in place? Thanks...
    (My running boards are in fairly good shape and I have a new set of pads/covers but if the "new" Drake boards are really that much better I may have to consider shelling out the $$$ and buying a set)

11. They are all vulcanized if they are from Drake.

12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Have them on mine also,quality fit and finish.

13. The Vulcanized boards is the only way to go, the after market glue on covers never look or fit correctly. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  14. If you want them to look good avoid the cheap replacement caps.

64-20002.jpg

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Yes on vulcanized.

16. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

OK...so I get the message, vulcanized is better. Now here is my situation, I have OEM running boards that are in great shape and have been sandblasted and epoxy primed. The car came with a set of covers that I believe are about 10 years old. I mention the age since there may be a difference in quality over the years. As seen in the photo the replacement cover is sitting on the running board...this is just a pre-fit mockup. I was concerned about whether the covers would clean up after all these years...I think that they look good even without silicone sprays or other coatings. Fit seems to be perfect. I bought some 3M Windo-Weld to glue these covers in place, I saw a video of a guy using this adhesive and it looked like a much better technique than contact cement. The Mac's covers that HRP posted a pic of cost over $311...doesn't seem "cheap" to me but maybe there is something about them once they are installed that makes them look cheaper than they cost. I would love to have a set of the new Drake boards but $1275 + shipping is a lot of cash to spend on what I see as only a nominal improvement. Am I missing anything?
    40 Ford Running Board.jpg

MIKE STEWART and olscrounger like this.
  17. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Look good to me, use em.

18. Wait for one of Bob's annual sells if you want the vulcanized boards, if not use what you got. HRP

19. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I'm in the use'em bunch. They look good, you can always spend more money and buy the others.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. if it's not on Back order... seems like everything I inquire about on the web sites seems "out of stock"
    The running boards they make are really nice and worth the bucks spent for sure... like hotrodprimer
    said wait for the annual sale.

21. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I've used the window weld in the past. Here's a tutorial on using it

22. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

They look fine,I suppose the trick is in the installation Good luck.

23. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

enjenjo...your Stude video was the one I watched on YouTube. I have a few questions:
    Did you use the 3M primer on your boards prior to applying the windo-weld?
    What was the purpose in using the torch on the underside of the mats?
    I have done a bit of testing and found that the bond is a lot stronger when using the primer so I am going that route. I was also wondering if you could get an even distribution of adhesive on the board using that spreader? I thought that maybe a very fine tooth trowel would work well

neilswheels likes this.
  24. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

A couple of friends have used the covers, need alot of clamps and planning, but they look great. May need to fill the steel to get a nice shape for the covers.

25. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

If you do this, id be really interested in seeing what you do, its also one of those jobs i've got in my future..
    40 boards aren't as smooth as those, they will need work to get a nice shape for the rubber.

Some good info on how to fit here
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1938-39-40-sloper-custom.1210500/page-23

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024