Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 ford antenna delete

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupedupnow, Aug 19, 2013.

1. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

does anyone know if someone makes an antenna delete for the roof ? i have the one for the dash but not sure how to plug the roof. thanks!!

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

A big gob of silly seal !!

3. Stop by a Radio Shack,,they have all kinds of plugs,just measure your size. HRP

4. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

sorry ...i meant to plug the hole in the roof .some type of metal plug

thanks!

5. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

I hope that they do make an antenna plug for the 40 roof. I would like to plug mine too.

6. There was no antenna delete on 40s or, I would imagine, any car. They simply did not drill a hole in the roof on cars without radios.
    No hole..........no delete

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I see that Carpenter has three offerings for the antenna kits. Depending on the type of look you want in your 40 you might find that leaving the stock antenna in the car (even if you don't use it) is a good point of conversation with people that are looking at your car.

http://dennis-carpenter.com/radio-antenna/p/01A-18813-B/

9. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

That's funny my rusty 40 project has the antenna hole,
    with part of the antenna and a broken plastic base.
    I had never thought this was a stock item,
    just figured it was some typical aftermarket thing.

It's definitely an obvious addition like a hood ornament,
    but I kinda like the look of it so was going to keep it on.
    At least it has a sleek angle to it.

Thanks for the info!

TP

Oh yeah if you still have the antenna I'm interested!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. Westlake or Ace hardware sells little chrome plugs that fit a wide array of holes. maybe give them a try.

11. if you're not going to run the one in the roof, I think the only way to make it look decent is to cut a piece of metal, weld it up, and paint it!

12. ^^^^What he said

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that's the way to do it

14. push_rod

push_rod

It would be really tough to try to use a plug. If you don't want to use the stock antenna, you would have to weld up the hole.

I've always thought that the stock antenna looks cool; you can extend it from inside the car. My Coupe had the hole in the roof, but it had been covered with a small metal patch, and leaded over. I melted the lead out when I was building the car, cleaned up the hole, and eventually used the stock antenna from Dennis Carpenter, but I shortened the chromed tube that sticks out of the roof by cutting 4 inches off the bottom end (otherwise it would stick out about 6 inches when in the down position!). I used the stock hardware to attach the bottom of the antenna to the dashboard. I used a second plastic finish nut on the underside of the dash, and attached a short coax pigtail that I bought at Radio Shack to the bottom stub of the antenna, and plugged it into a modern radio (I had to cut away some of the plastic on the female end of that cable in order for it to fit over the end of the antenna.). Dad's Tudor had no hole in the roof, so I used the template supplied in Dennis Carpenter's antenna kit, and completed the installation in the same way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  15. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

thanks guys ....im just gonna leave the antenna ...thanks!