Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Coupe Hood Hinge placement

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CharlieLed, Oct 22, 2017.

1. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

PO installed a recessed firewall and did not transfer the hinge mounting holes. Can someone give me a point of reference and a measurement for the two mounting holes that go through the weld flange? Here are a couple of pics showing where I am at right now...thanks in advance. Hood Hinge 1.jpg Hood Hinge 2.jpg

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Measurements no, but I have some pictures that might help you with hinge placement. I remember having to drill out the original holes and move the hinges around a lot before we finally got the hood to fit. Once I had figured out where the holes actually needed to be I filled in the large holes I had made to get the hood to fit.

40 Coupe UndercoaterR.jpg 100_0998R.jpg

47ragtop and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. 40 fenders and hoods are awful to fit, I do the hood first off the cowl then the fenders, bring them up to fit the hood sides, start with everything including the front "V" fender support finger tight and the fender bolts thru the cowl and the running board to fender bolts. this is really tough to do especially if the parts are from different cars and haven't been fitted as a set before. JW

4. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Thanks for the pics, that gets me closer. If I could get another dimension then I can use the hinge itself to get the final hole placement. Using the hood bumper hole as a point of reference I get 7-1/4 inches to the rear bolt hole. If I can get one of the other two hole placements I'll be good. 40 Cowl.jpg

5. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Went out & measured mine It was 6 1/8 I also filed the hinge holes to move the hood to get a better fit Hope this helps Ron

Attached Files:

i.rant likes this.
  6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Thanks Ron...this dimension matches the 8-3/8 inches that another member sent me for the top bolt hole. Time to drill, thanks again for the help. 40 Hood Hinge.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Thank you okiedokie for the heads-up on the hinge pads, saved me a lot of time and effort fabricating custom pads.