Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 chevy truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorbreath, May 15, 2007.

1. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

anyone got tips on an under the floor master cylinder? never done that but have been thinking about it, probably going to mount it on the inside frame rail, get some residual pressure valves (2lb) to keep it from all bleeding back into the reservior.

2. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

human, i used a 68 mustang master cylinder in mine, mounted under the floor. I have that mounted right next to my clutch master cylinder, with pushrods coming off the bottom of the pedals into the mc's, the mount is for the pedals and the mc's. i dunno if you're running drum/drum or disk/drum or what, but the same setup should work fine for either i would think... don't mind all the crap on there i still have to grind them and clean it up all pretty

[​IMG]

frosty another option would be a c10 frame. i know some people ragged on me when i said i was using a 68 c10 frame but it's got nice strong wide rails, and has a little swoop on the front so you only have to z the back, and the cab fits over the rails with plenty of room to run exhaust between the outside of the frame and the body if you're pressed for room inside the frame like i am. just make new front horns and a crossmember for whatever front end you want to use and it looks sweet, and can get the truck real low (and it's just about the easiest setup i've ever bagged in the back).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

4. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Went to a tiny local swap meet today and scored a windshield frame thats in better condition than mine $25, a pair of M/T valve covers in moderate shape $35 and a strange set of louvers from a boat that will probably end up in my bedsides once i have a bed to have sides on;)

5. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Anyone know a good website to find available options\features of the 1940 Chevy Truck?

6. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

not a whole lot to brag on today, but i did manage to break 4 drill bits and a step bit trying to drill out the clutch head bolts holding the hinges to the doors, and i only got one door done, still got to get the other half of the hinges off both sides of the cab and get the other hinge off the door. im hoping to salvage the stock hinges and use them when i suicide the doors. Got my 3 speed and another 4 speed today, free, but i think the 4 is junk, i shifted it through and it makes a really odd whine\grind noise in first, could just be really low i guess though. I'm probably going with the 3 speed as it should be stronger from what I hear. Going to clean it up and check it out tomorrow, probably mount it. And I got to get some steel for the rear frame rails too............ Anyone want to come help out?

7. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Started the rear frame today, got the extensions for the rusty part of the frame done, got the uprights for the Z done, got to tack it in and make some gussets and side plates for it now, had to come in for a bit to cool off, hot out there......

8. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

The 2x4 tubing slides inside the toyota frame, the toy frame is a bit taller, but its a great fit on the sides, after this pic was taken i put 3 small welds on each side to hold it in place, i'll trim the side plate after the rails are done
    [​IMG]

before anyone questions it, the rear rail doesnt come up as much as it looks in the picture

[​IMG]

9. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Started on the body drop\channeling, 3 inches, will post a picture of some of the cuts in a little while, none of it on the frame unfortunately though, not yet at least

10. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

11. spudshaft

spudshaft

Looks good dude, your welds look like mine though. I hope that means mine willl hold though. Rock on!

12. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Not the best pics, but they show the start of the 90% body drop\10% channeling.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ROSLAN KREEP

ROSLAN KREEP
    from balt. md

14. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Started on the truckarm style rear suspension today, cut the brackets loose from the rearend and got them moving freely, will post some progress pics later on, got some of the frame for the floor done too, kinda just jumping around on it a bit here in the last couple days, little work on this, little on that.......

15. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

A picture showing the front axle I'm going to use....
    [​IMG]
    Set the rear close to where its going to get an idea of how long to make the truckarms...
    [​IMG]
    The start of the truckarm rear suspension
    [​IMG]

You can see the wide five hubs hanging out the side...
    [​IMG]
    Front shot....
    [​IMG]
    Begining of the framwork for the floor, its going to be a tight fit for the clutch brake and gas pedals
    [​IMG]

16. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

It really sucks trying to build an entire suspension by yourself, i've got the rear almost done, but have to cut part of it loose and re-do it. probably would have it done but the rain shut down my "garage" I worked in the rain for a while....

17. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Out of mig wire again, time to take an hour and a half trip for mig wire.....blah.........................................

18. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Nice truck... I know what you mean. I bought a pretty much fully restored '46 and will probably leave it that way. I'd like to build a hot rod but will probably start with something else for the platform.

19. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Hey Big T, any relation to Mr. T ? is that your truck in your avatar? post a pic of it on here id like to see it, looks nice.

20. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I though I had it rough with a dirt floor garage with free railroad gravel from a farmer that had railroad running through his property hand dug and hand laid by me, at least I can work in the rain. Cool build man, you must want it bad! Although, I did stuff under a tall old cottonwood tree in my back yard for years and used chains between two trees as my engine and body hoist, good times. LOL:D

21. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Two pine posts, with some boards tied into the big tree, and a taurpauling laying across it with some boards underneath (long ways) and maybe an Dollar store drop cloth laying over it would keep the rain off.

Or you could build a slanted roofed building with 2 more pine posts cemented in the ground and a bit more lumber with some metal roofing that'd be a bit more sturdy.

Its really worth the money and effort to build a place to keep things dry and level. I could really care less if its hot or cold in a place, as long as its dry. Just a level concrete slab with four posts and a roof on it would be good. If it gets a little too drafty, just grab some $1.00 drop cloths and cover the sides.

This truck is coming along real good, need to get some cover over it though.

I pretty much gave up on my '46 into a fenderless project. I didn't really like the direction it would've went, however, I'm taking the cab off the big truck frame anyway.

Plan on using the F-100 frame under an 34/37 Chevy RPU body that I will eventually get around to building.

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

There seems to be a lot of comments on your welds.... looks like you might need to turn the heat up a bit, so they don't gum up on the seams, but will burn in good. If the heat isn't hot enough, your weld will look like a catipillar.

All that said, This this is gonna be freakin cool! keep bangin away!!

23. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Yeah, the welds are getting better. I only started welding a couple of months ago. I found mapp gas to be my best friend. :)

24. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

still lookin good man, can't wait to see some axles on it and it sitting on the ground!

25. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

I just about have the rear all done, I'll put some pics in soon, hopefully tomorrow i'll have the free airshocks on, there going in temporary till i get a set of bags for the rear, going to leave some options open for mounting them.

26. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

getting closer..... i think...
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i71.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/antihuman81/rat%20truck/2e1450dd.flv"></embed>

27. rab71

rab71

Looks good man, I started with basically the same as you. A cab...;) I went the easy route with the rear suspension, leaf springs. Yeah the bed is longer that way but it was easy to proportion. Keep up the good work!

28. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Heres a couple shots of the exhaust system in progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its not finished, still got to cap the front and make the "muffler insert" for it. i'm hoping to get it quiet enough to keep the bacon at bay but still be able to enjoy the sound of it, probably not going to happen but a guy can dream cant he...?

29. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

almost got the other "header" done, got to cap the fronts of them off, got an interesting idea that serves no purpose at all, but im going to see what it looks like at least

30. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

got a little more done, mounted the slave cyl for the clutch, think i decided to put the master under the dash instead of under the floor. set the cab on it with the rear wheels on and the rear sitting on the ground for a motivational mockup....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]