Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 chevy plated glove box door?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badvolvo, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. badvolvo

badvolvo

My 40 coupe had no windshield for many years, the dash has rust holes through it. No problem, I bought a parts car. My coupe had independent front, but no chrome trim on the sides. Not sure of the model, as it looked like the cheap car, but has the ifs.
    However, I was salvaging any parts I could off the rusty old dash, all I got was some of the chrome trim, and the glove box door.
    I put the glove box door in some rust remover to clean it up, as I pulled it from the tank, it looks fantastic! The door is nickle plated.
    Looking online and at my other car, I can't find any others that were plated.
    Anyone seen this before? I am thrilled with the look of it, nickle is not perfect, but damn it's going to look good.

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Awkward story. I plated the glove box door on my 37 Fordor. If your door is similar (flat) you might have a problem, as mine acted like a mirror and my first lady passenger told me she hated it, as she could see up her own dress in the glove box door! Gary

badvolvo and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. It was a common custom touch. Sometimes they would pull the dash and chrome the entire thing. Chrome used to be pretty cheap before the EPA got into other peoples business.

She probably wasn't the only one, you sly old dawg you.:D

Truckdoctor Andy and badvolvo like this.
  4. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Special Deluxe (top of the line) had independent front suspension, and stainless trim down the sides and around windows. Master Deluxe is probably what your car is, independent suspension, but no trim on sides or windows, but moulded trim in door and body along beltline. Master 85 (econo-model) had dual leaf springs with I-beam axle.
    Yes, the story from the 50's/60's, as stated by gnichols and porknbeaner, chromed dash parts doubled as a mirror.
    Sly Dawgs for sure!!!! ;)

badvolvo and olscrounger like this.

5. badvolvo

badvolvo

This old coupe was pretty rough, and had b

6. badvolvo

badvolvo

I hate the touch pad on this Dell, cant shut it off.
    The old coupe was pretty rough, but the body was decent. It had been someones toy years ago, looks like it was rebuilt a couple of times. Yes, it has the embossed trim down the sides, still had most of the IFS when I got it.
    One other note, it may have been an old police car? was black with white doors at some time and had a stamped hole in the roof, along with a couple others, looks like it had a single light in the center. dont know about the back seat, all gone when i got it. photo (9).jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Sounds like a cop car or fire chief's car to me.

badvolvo likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They ought to make a chrome laptop computer for us old guys, with pin striping, pearl keys, a screen with rounded corners and a left turn signal that doesn't cancel. Here's your solution to the dell dilemma.

Click the Dell Touchpad tab. Click on the picture of the touchpad. Click Device Select. Click to check the box to the left of Disable Touchpad / Pointing Stick when external USB mouse is present to disable the touchpad

badvolvo likes this.
  9. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Location of stock gas tank?
    If gas filler exits behind passenger door in quarter panel, gas tank behind front seat = business coupe, no rear seat.
    If gas filler is in rear passenger fender, gas tank below trunk floor = 5 passenger coupe.

badvolvo likes this.
  10. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Nice looking start to your project, and like you might be building it to run 1/4 mile at a time. What are your plans?

11. badvolvo

badvolvo

Since you asked, I had a 37 in high school, never got it done so now I have this 40. I was planning on building a period correct gasser, but after reviewing all the rule books from the 60's, I decided I wanted to build it with no rules what so ever. So I am calling it an early 70's street freak. I sold my pro street style P1800 volvo, this is the replacement. She's got a 9" rear, PG with brake, 6-71 blown 377" sbc roller motor, will be set up for street & strip. Air conditioning as I am getting old and I am in the air conditioning business anyway. I hope it will be done around 3000 lbs, hope to put it in the high 9's in race prep. I am using a mix of old & new, just something I like to do. Anything I build has to have parts that I have a connection to. Front axle is out of a 53 chevy truck I had for years, gauges are NOS SW (from my daughter and son in law), seats from a 64 tbird, hood scoop (starting on it tonight) is from another 40 parts car I have, using the front part of the hood. New parts you can see include stuff like ladder bars, wilwood power disc brakes, roll cage, wheels. Frame paint heavy metallic gold, body heavy metallic blue pearl. Long ways from what I normally build, I just wanted to do something different this time. Summer's coming and I have other toys, and a shitload of mowing, so work will slow way down, and I have to spend at least 2 -3 weeks in Salida, CO. Hope to have it done a year from now.
    And yes, it has the fuel filler in the fender, tank was under the car. I was shocked to see they actually made two versions of this body, embossed trim vs the chrome trim.