Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 brakes on model a spindle problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Compare the pictures here to the ones in your posts. It looks like your spacer is thicker than the ones I normally use and your outer bearing and race does not look to be sitting in the hub properly.

I also tried to show while there is some difference in the thickness dimensions between the early bearings ( B-1201 & B-1216) which are slightly thicker and the later bearings (15118 & 09067), it does not make any real difference in fit; besides, unless you find some NOS bearings, you will probably be using the common later replacements anyways.

I also put a later "thin" nut on to show it won't work without a stack of washers, which is not a good idea anyway.

Sometimes the push-in grease cap will rub on the end of the spindle and you may have to shave a little off.

Attached Files:

2. The "hub behind" style drum assemblies and the "hub outside" style drum assemblies will interchange. They are the same dimensions "fit" wise, just a different design.

Sometimes the "hub outside" style drum assemblies have balance weights that
    will interfere with wire wheels, other than that, I have never come across anything else thats makes a difference.

3. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

The inner bearings and races that came with the hubs are wrong because the inside diameter of the inner bearing is to large for the 31 spindle. I'm gonna order some new inner bearings and races to compare side by side. I put the 31 bearings that I have in the hub but they do not sit in the race properly. even though the bearings dont appear to be right, the drum still slides all the way on but it bottoms out on the backing plate before there is enough room to get the axle nut on properly. the bearings are not keeping the hub from going on you can see that from the first picture that I posted. Rich My outer bearing looks to have the same amount of space as yours does and after looking at your pictures I think the spacers on the inside are that same size but either way you have alot more of the spindle threads coming through and like you said a small amount more on the spacer wouldnt matter. I also already removed the model a grease seal so thats not an issue. thanks for all the help everyone

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I just went and checked and comparing the with Richs photo my outer bearing is sits level with the edge of the hub. Im just gonna hunt for another set of hubs and drums or order some repos.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

back to see what happened. Rich b has you pretty much covered, Ok if you removed the seal and the bearings still dont fit then there is an issue with bearings that you got. The correct Id of the inner bearing sleeve is around 1.175" if your bearing doesn't measure that its the wrong one. No use throwing the hubs away all you need is a b-1201 bearing and a b-1202 race for the inner and a b-1216 and b-1217 for the outer unit.

6. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Im using the 1216 and 1217 bearing and race for the outer.