Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Ford wide 5

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Vin-tin, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

I have a chance to buy what I believe to be a 1939 Ford rear. It has hydraulic brakes, spring hangers on the backing plates, and the wide 5 bolt spacing. It also comes with 4 original wheels.
    Are these rears and wheels desirable?
    Do the later years small bolt spacing drums fit this rear?
    What kind of money would be a good offer for everything?

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yes, yes, & price depends on the local market.

I believe a wide 5 wheel/drum/hub setup is about 1 lb lighter each than a small pattern setup IIRC.

I've bought rears with brakes as low as $125 up my way (and twice that just for loaded brakes/drums) but see them as high as $450 more often.

3. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Out west the market price is not nearly as generous unless there is a need for another ratio such as a 3.54:1 or a 4.11:1 if an overdrive is planned. Later Ford drums through '48 fit the rear. Lincoln Bendix brakes bolt directly also. Wide five wheels and drums are slow sellers as are 3.78:1 ratio rears. Condition of the outer races on the axle bells is also a big consideration. The reason for lower prices may be the weight and large dimension causes caution for the buyers and the swapmeets are so huge that many forget where they saw the thing. Having drums and backing plates is mostly a protection of the outer races and axle stubs. Are you sure it's a '39? Earlier may be 4.11:1. Good Luck: Fred A

4. oj

oj

Are the hubs 2 piece where the hub & drum will seperate? They are the more desirable imo.

5. about 3 years ago I bought a rear with the small lug pattern in PA. for $125 I think it was. I don't know if the wide 5's bring any more money It is just the buyer's preferance. I tell you what, it is easer to find swap meet hubcaps for thr wide 5 wheel,

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I would grab them.. they're great pre-war hot rod parts. Not a big seller's market for them but they're still desirable by some.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

I'm not sure. I'll have to give them a closer inspection before I lay down any cash.
    Thanks for every ones help.