Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 Ford Transmission question...78 and 48 case numbers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The LZ's do pop up still, and become more likely on altered transmissions, which generally means HOTROD.
    Last time I got a set, I found a "rebuilt trans that was the spare for my '40 Ford" for sale by someone. The trans was cheap and had an "H" at the beginning of the serial...and the 26 toothers in there turned out to be entirely unmarked, suggesting that the thing had a brand new set! That was $75...

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Plenty of good stuff in this thread on top-loaders.. Bookmarking this one.

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

sorry guys, I've been out in the shop...I'll go back out and check synchros for LZ...and I gotta count some teeth...where's my beer?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Is this the half moon cutout you guys are talking about?

Attached Files:

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

This gear has 15 teeth...

Attached Files:

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

This gear has 24 teeth...

Attached Files:

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

oh well, I'm still happy cause this thing looks nice inside and should work fine behind a 283. Thanks for all your help. I hate being stupid about simple Ford shit. :)

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Check those caged bearings out really well too, modern replacements are garbage.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Thank you...will do.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I ran a 36 trans without the syncronizer rings behind my 283 with no problems. I'm not a tire squealer or speed shifter. If you want to dump the clutch and burn some rubber, you might want to rethink your trans choice. Other than that either one will hold up. They won't take a lot of abuse but they are not made of peanut butter either.

There is a lot of room between a trans that won't take abuse and a serviceable trans behind a 283. Mine worked fine for many years.

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Thanks Tommy...this 283 won't be a tire squealer, it's for a driver. I've driven a friends '29 hiboy with a stout flathead (180hp) that had a '39 trans, and I drove it hard at times and it held up great...I figure a stock 283 will have the same HP as that hopped up flatty.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm bettin' you won't be running monster tires on it. I've squealed tires a few times but my 700 16s don't have a big tire patch to create a lot of pressure. The weakest link in my chain is the skinny tires that break loose before the trans gets loaded a whole lot.

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Shim it up nice and tight when you put it together, especially the cluster gear. If it can't walk when loaded, the trans will hold up better. Also, grab Van Pelt's book too, LOTS of great info and tips on building one of these to last.

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Thanks...my birthday is coming up soon...:)

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You also need it tight in middle of top shaft where input, synchro, and output shaft come together. If case is loose, you can eliminate end play at each end and have a gap in the middle leaving you with both sloppiness and poor engagement of synchro teeth.
    (and as suggested save good bearings from within cluster..repros I have seen are garbage)

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I just bought a motor and tranny package from a guy (same guy I got my 409 from)

Supposedly the motor is a 59A-B and the tranny is "a '39 Ford with Lincoln Zephyr gears" So I'm stoked about that, but at this point it is all hearsay. "The guy I got it from ran it in his '40, and thought of me when he went to an automatic"

Anyways, can some one post a pic of this "half moon" you guys were talking about on the Zephyr gears? I'm getting a little ahead of myself, I can't pick this all up until Sunday at the earliest. He is going to Hershey.

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, another good point. Also check your brass synchro rings to make sure they're within spec, my pal Charlie clued me in to this nugget: some repros are actually too large and cause the shynchros to drag all the time, wearing them prematurely.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

All of this info is making me think I should pull the trans out of my '35 and have it serviced this winter. It's getting stuck in 3rd.

19. vanpelt mentioned in his website that the 78 case with the full length rib was rumored to be alittle stronger, any input on this from you guys who have blew through some of these?

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The half moon...on MOST of the 25 and 26 toothers...looks like someone ran a holesaw to cut away some of the synchro teeth on the back of the input gear.
    No need for it...count the teeth on the input, 44 minus that count is tooth count for cluster on all the common possibilities.
    A 59 has 59 in big letters at top of bellhousing, the part of bellhousing that is cast integral with block.

21. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks for the pic, thats nothing like I was picturing in my head. Really cleared that up.

Another stupid newbie question, what is the benefit to having the 3" fork?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It fits the late type synchro.

Mac VanPelt above is really moving...he is starting to manufacture parts that had become entirely unavailable or available only in non-functional defective repro...
    His book is excellent.

24. NORSON

NORSON

Is the 3 inch fork available? where ? Thanks. Norm

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The late double brass ring synchros need the 3" fork, the earlier units have a different synchro assembly that accepts a smaller fork. It's not really that the fork is any better, it just means you likely have the better synchro in there.

26. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

27. fatkoop

fatkoop

The trans will hold up well behind a mild 283..... IF you take it easy. I have many, many thousands of miles on mine and it still shifts smooth and doesn't make any weird noises. Get yourself a drip pan though, 'cuz they tend to leak a bit.

28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The numbers stamped on the bell part of the scse was the VIN for trucks; According to the "Green Book", Ford put the truck VIN on the top of the bellhousing, visible thru the oval shaped hole, just ahead of the shifter; I have seen a few 40, and 41 trucks with a VIN stamped on the left frame rail, between firewall and radiator.
    4TTRUK

29. can you case harden the gears to prevent them from chipping a tooth? curious how to strengthen the trans to take a little more abuse...

30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There is an article from Competition Engineering on this that I have reported on somewhat here, dragster trans missions circa 1960 running early Ford with hemi's, etc.
    It is just like getting 9 inch Ford to live nowadays...the gears are SOFTENED and re-heat treated to specs in article.
    The lose high mileage wearabiluity, gain impact plasticity.
    And the end play and fit at center is ESSENTIAL because these are spiral cut gears and on rapid clutch engagement the endplay is SLAMMED down to nothing as the spirals are loaded by the engine, enough to blow end out of transmissions...
    This is the same malsdy that plagued others, like those running '55-62 Chev 3 speeds at the drags, with similar cures,,,