Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Ford Steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrod--willys, Sep 1, 2017.

1. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I need some help from you early Ford V8 guys. I need to know how to get the steering wheel off a 1939 Ford DeLux. I don't have any idea!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy

Ford used a special tool that looked like a big C clamp with a end that fit the underside of the wheel, I use a Harbour Freight bearing seperator and a rag for cushion and pull it off with a two jaw puller. Get the big seperator.

Kan Kustom and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Unhook the wiring at the bottom of the box in the tin housing. Then see if there is a quarter turn doohickey to release the hold on the thin tube that runs all the way from the top button to the wiring housing. After that is loose you should be able to pull the switch straight out of the wheel. Some bodies won't allow it to come all the way out when in the car. Might need to take column loose and tilt it down.

Then, when switch is removed, take your special KW puller and slip it around the wheel. No special puller in your toolbox? It is like an overgrown C clamp that straddles the base of the wheel, then pushes on the shaft.

I made one when I needed to remove an old Ford wheel with no tapped holes for a modern day puller.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. I could be wrong but I thought that by 1939 the steering wheel had two tapped holes that would permit the use of a standard auto parts store puller? The KRW puller was needed for the earlier steering wheels, such as on my AVATAR. Some auto parts stores have them to loan. This would be an excellent post for fordbarn.com.

Charlie Stephens

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I think they do, I know my '40 wheel does.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford added the puller holes in 1940.
    This very frequently works and if you are careful you can try it in 10 minutes without risking aesthetic damage:
    Drill suitable holes using drill stop so you don't go through to daylight...if you do screw up, obviously repair is easy.
    The metal is fairly thin, so try to find smallest hole you can start a 5/16 tap in...idea is to thread deep in the steel bit AND the plastic just for a little extra.
    Use a modern puller, BUT drop a bolt into the horn/light hole AND run stock nut up to top so you do not crush any threads. Be careful to save woodruff key, as it is special Ford and not a hardware item.
    There is excellent likelihood it will pop and not just rip out your threads.

ZBoyz3 likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Old pal Johnny Dugan used to loosen nut about 60% up to the end, then plant both feet firmly on the floor board, between the pedals.
    Grasp the wheel even with the spokes, and pull hard...slightly reciprocating right to left, then...POP!
    Never saw a wheel he couldn't 'pull'...that includes my three '46 Fords, '48 Merc, and some later splined versions.
    Couple of years ago, I didn't have a puller for my F100, (loaned to a flake!) So, I 'assumed the position'.
    My wife asked as I got my 'stance': "You don't seriously believe that wheel will come off, do you?" POP! She was surprised...so was I...

46international and VonWegener like this.
  8. Important advice...

9. Andy

Andy

I had a beautiful 40 standard wheel. Someone had pulled it off and broke most of the covering off the spokes from bending them. The rim and hub were still perfect. I don't think trying to pull a 39 wheel off is a good idea unless you have hand for each of the three spokes.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I drilled holes in my 38 standard wheel still attached to the column, tapped them and used a regular puller to get it off...

11. Bruce,

Thanks for the cut off date on the holes. If he is very lucky someone may have drilled and tapped them in his '39.

Charlie Stephens

12. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I believe the 39s "horn button" is the headlight switch. It has a tube that goes all the way down to the steering box. You have to disconnect the tube at the bottom of the steering box to allow you to remove the horn/light switch. Then slide the horn/light switch and tube out, this will allow you to remove the steering wheel with a puller.

Hudson31 likes this.
  13. I have a Snap-On puller I acquired from the salvage yard I worked for. It's based on the C-Clamp and has different sizes for the makes.

14. The 40 Ford style wheel we used on our roadster has those two threaded holes on either side of the center hole.

Found the wheel, column, and part of the box under a tree in the country. Guess it lived out there in the rain for quite some time. Horn button missing and the center nut was rusted/crusted into a mass.

Drug it home, stood it on end with center section facing up and soaked it for about a week or more.
    Once it was cleaned out ya could see the nut and the two "puller" holes. We chased the holes and our cheap puller popped the wheel loose.

15. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

16. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Ok. I think I have the idea to get the horn and switch out. Pulling the wheel is another thing. I have all kinds of different pulling tools. Should not be to hard to figure out. Thank you guys for all your input.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. cretin

cretin

I found this video and made one of these tools to help with classic car steering wheel removals. Works well, may help you or someone else out.

18. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Cool. Just a little ingenuity.'

19. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Sound too crude - but I took off the nut - had my son pull upward - then I gently tapped the aluminum hub where the spokes are mounted with a rubber hammer - the original 1939 banjo steering wheel slid off the key-way - no damage or problem. I was lucky.

20. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

OK. Got the steering wheel off with a little pressure. NOW. for you Ford V8 guys. How can I come up with the original color of this steering wheel? Here is a pic. of the color on this wheel.

Attached Files:

21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have one of the OEM pullers I purchased at an auction never used for 25.00 . 20 mechaniccs picked it up and looked at it , layed it back down asking " what the hell is that used for ?" Stout azz clamp and 3 different arbors for different sized wheels . I just used it to remove a Double B wheel . Mechanic working on the truck was in amazement ! He said he had been a week off and on trying to determine how in Gods creation will the wheel come off with out destroying it. Puller worked as well a pig in poop !

22. Have you checked in the restoration guidelines from the Early Ford V8 club, there might be a color picture in there: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=9&pid=2

Charlie Stephens

23. Any one supply a picture of the special puller for the steering wheel? I know I will be pulling my 38 Deluxe column apart someday, maybe even soon.

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom