Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford Pickup Custom Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by '54Caddy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Boy, Andy did a nice job on that axle!

2. brady1929

brady1929

3. BEM

BEM

That's just friggin' awesome.

4. mj40's

mj40's

Hey BEM, your 40 is right up there too!

5. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

That's real nice work on the axel!

Cheers

Glenn

6. 56pickup

56pickup
    from Wisconsin

Any more updates on this project? Really dig this build

Tyler

7. 1936dodge

1936dodge

You guys are doing a great job.

8. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Funny you bring this thread up. After taking a little break on this truck, we just got back to working on it. Progress has been a little slow and we got side tracked with the 34 coupe we built for TROG.

We did fix the rear of the cab, cleaned up the firewall and knocked a thousand dents. Sorry I forgot to take pics along the way. After many hours the cab is in primer...and pretty damn straight!

Here's Nick shooting some primer
    Cab.JPG

Cab5.JPG

Cab6.JPG

9. I just found this thread and I'm glad I did. Super nice workmanship. Keep it up:)

10. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Well its been way overdue for an update on this pickup. Life has kinda gotten in the way recently but we are still slowly plugging away on the truck. There has been a lot of bodywork done with the help of my buddy Nick and a ton of lining up panels and gaps. Channeling added a ton of extra work from cab mounts, bed mounts, radiator supports, running board brackets, steering column location, pedal location, fuel filler hole, and more. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at taking pics in the process but here's some progress pics.

Here's a pic with the cab back on the chassis after body work. We wanted to bolt it to the chassis then hang the doors. Also mocked up the rest of the truck to be sure it would all line up.
    999.JPG

Doors hung, had to push it outside to get a look. You can see in the pic, the nose is sagging in the front. We had to pick it up a little more than an inch.
    999-3.JPG

A ton of work went into lining up the door gaps. Hour after hour of shaving, welding, adjusting and swearing went into gaps. The gaps are now better than when it left the factory floor.
    999-1.jpg

After the gaps were looking good, we moved onto the fuel filler and the real fun part, the exhaust.
    999-5.jpg

999-6.jpg

The bed was done and all holes drilled so we pulled it off for final body work....
    999-7.JPG

Rear fenders blocked and primed
    999-10.JPG

Nose was picked up to the right spot, gaps adjusted, and fenders and hood roughed in
    999-8.JPG

999-9.JPG

Still some minor tweaks to make on the nose but real close now. Should be shooting paint soon!