Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford Panel Truck Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by livertucky, Nov 21, 2018.

1. livertucky

livertucky

Just rescued this one from storage in northern Ohio and hope to get her running again. Original 24 bolt flathead with 29k miles when parked in garage 30 yrs ago.
    Straight body an minimal rust.
    I've heard only 250-350 produced in 39 but can't confirm. If anyone has production details I would like to know. I'll post pics as I go along.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

nice truck!

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  3. patsurf

patsurf

THAT is NOT a project!!-that is a driver survivor-the grail people always talk of!!

Stogy and livertucky like this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

sweet,love that interior shot from the rear.

5. ...neat truck fer sure, I like those tailites, they gotta be old stored away that long,...any idea what they are from?...maybe 49-50 Stude?

6. livertucky

livertucky

Thanks guys! Yes patsurf you're right. I was in the right place at the right time and jumped on it.
    Yes Rusty old Studebakeer lights. Not sure what I'm going to replace them with yet. Maybe 39 sedans.

7. exterminator

exterminator

Kind of like those tail lights on the truck. Nice to see something different.

Stogy, Kan Kustom and livertucky like this.
  8. ...if it were mine, I'd keep those tailites, they look rite and are bigger than 39 Fords...

9. I wouldn't change a thing cosmetically. Not even the tail lights. Give it s Hot rod rake. Souped up flathead. Done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Great solid truck - do you have the history of how it got so little use?
    Not Studebaker; those had three crossbars. The lights you have are 1951-53 junior series Packard:
    51 packard.jpg
    (Image from curbsideclassics.com)

11. footbrake

footbrake

Wow! that's just perfect like it is

livertucky likes this.
  12. scotts52

scotts52

I've always liked 38/39 trucks from the first time I saw one. She's a real beauty!

livertucky likes this.
  13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice score! What are your plans for it?

livertucky likes this.
  14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I was waiting for a traffic light to turn green when a 39 Ford panel went thru the light in front of me. This was on Highway 65 near the Missouri/Arkansas border and I was driving my 39 Ford pickup so I caught up and waved for him to stop. He told me he bought it in St Louis and was on his way home to Goldonna Louisana. I have driven my 39 daily thru four states for 17 years and that's the only 39 panel I have seen.

kidcampbell71 and livertucky like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The only other '39 panel I ever saw was the black one owned/operated by Navlet's Florist, in San Jose, CA. They also had a '38 3/4 ton panel, with the big 7.00 X 16s on it.
    A friend of mine bought the '38 in '84, then sold it to a former 'buyer' for Harrah's...
    $7500, final price.
    Yours is pristine...Friends of mine used to find '34s up to '40s, in Santa Clara, CA in this condition: no rust, low mileage stockers that had paint that would come back with wash, polish and wax.
    I thought we'd seen the last of them...Great find! Must be a story...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  16. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

It's a beautiful truck for sure. I love it. It has so much potential and its great the way it is.

17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

wow that rear interior floors and wood was not abused at all ..must have hauled marshmallows !

Stogy, brEad and livertucky like this.
  18. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

nice truck. wrong headlights takes away from the looks of the truck. and like the man said packard tail lights. good luck

livertucky likes this.
  19. Looks like they originally came with only one stoplight mounted to the left rear door.
    [​IMG]

20. livertucky

livertucky

Yes, looks like Packard lights for sure. Guy told me they were Studebaker but he also listed it as 38 sedan delivery so obviously didnt know what he had.
    I was heading to Ohio to get parts for my 50 panel and decided to check craigslist in the surrounding areas and saw the post. His dad bought it for him in High School, they had it running then he broke the rear leafspring. Parked the truck in the garage and thete it Sat for 30 yrs. When they moved his dad out he put it in his garage the last 5 yrs and finally moved it to a storage unit and posted it to CL as he put it in to see if any interest. 3 weeks later I was able to see it and make a deal.
    I plan to keep her as original as possible and run that flatty. I did get Posies leafsprings to drop it a little but that's all I want to change.

Sent from my LG-H872 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. livertucky

livertucky

Hey dorf. Thanks. I know its missing the headlight stands but what else is wring with the headlights? Looks like they ran the wires through the old bolt hole so I agree they are not original.

22. The headlights on it now look like '35-'37 Ford truck. The correct headlights for '38-'39 truck are the same as '35 Ford car. You can see what they look like on my '38. I did use '36 car "bug eye" lenses and rings rather than the flatter lens that is correct for '35 car and '35-'39 truck ( the '36 car bucket is the same except for a shorter mounting stud, so the lenses will interchange). The headlight stands are different for the trucks. The correct headlight stands are the same for '38 and '39 trucks. You can also use the headlight stands from '40-'41 big truck and '40-'47 cabover truck that have the little oval parking lights in them. Those little parking lights are the same as '37-'40 car interior lights except with a glass lens rather than plastic. If you want sealed beams that look factory (because they are), '40-'41 big truck and '40-'47 cabover complete headlight assembly will bolt on to the '38-'39 fenders.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    dwollam and livertucky like this.
  23. Latigo

Latigo

WOWZUR! Sweet truck! Love it when they turn up!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    livertucky likes this.
  24. yup, Packard lites, here's Stude's, they curve around on end...
    upload_2018-11-24_8-48-23.jpeg

livertucky likes this.
  25. livertucky

livertucky

So today I replaced the busted rear leafspring and shackles with a Posies unit. Let me tell ya, those original shackles and bushings didn't want to come out, but some heat, drill and air hammer worked just fine! 20181124_155659.jpeg

26. 3340

Lites look like Packers?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Did it lower it any?

28. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Great find,I like the smaller headlights,The body looks damn straight for a delivery,Will be watching,Good luck with it

livertucky likes this.
  29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I had a coworker about 20 years ago, who installed the headlights from a '37 LaSalle on his, on the Ford stands. Nice find, especially coming from Northern Ohio, officially jealous here!