Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford Convertible Sedan Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Sep 6, 2020.

1. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Wow Sam, a lot of work going on there, that cowl replacement would of had me questioning my sanity! Great job, rather you than me..

loudbang likes this.
  2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Not sure how the final alignment will happen. We have been chasing it around for a few months now. We are close now on the frame (more on how we got there later) but we are planning to move the body to a body dolly soon. So I expect to have to re shim everything when we put the body on the dolly and again when we put it back on the frame.

You got that right ! Takes a very patient team.

Yes a blasted clean body is a must for this kind of project. This one was blasted many years ago. It is a good thing I live in an arid climate.

Thank you, it is a huge project and preparing the posts is time consuming. I enjoy it all though and appreciate you guys following along.

Thank you I hope it inspires some more guys to try challenging projects. Hopefully some of my posts will be helpful to someone trying to build a basket case like this one.

Thank you Tim, that's very much appreciated praise from a talented builder like you. I feel the same when I read your posts. I hope your shoulder is healing so you can get back on your convertible project. I miss your posts.

Thank you! Yes both new sides of the cowl have been have on and off the structure too many times to count. I am hoping to reinstall the right one for the last time in a few minutes. Sane..... I am not so sure I am......

You guys all have a nice day! I appreciate all of your comments!

3. Have to join the chorus, and chime in again. Exceptional work, but damn, what a challenge!
    Refresh our memories again; how long have you had the car, and where did it come from?
    With all that rust repair, could not have been the Yakima area! (A big "tip of the hat" to you
    guys for saving a rare body style. Just don't see many C.S. these days..)

Hope to drive my very long-term project over to a show on the Dry Side, someday soon, and see it!
    Let's get them done while we're able!

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hello ROKIT, it's good to hear from you! I have had the car for about 20 years. I bought it from the PO owner in the Watkins Glen area of New York. Any time you are coming to the Wenatchee area just let me know and I would be happy to show you the project. Thanks for the compliments!
    Sam

chryslerfan55, 36 ROKIT and loudbang like this.
  5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

With the cowl off we decided we better make some modifications to the frame so we would know how to modify the front sections of the floor while they were easy to remove for test fitting and fabrication.At a risk of getting the thread shut down I will show just a few pics of OT pieces of the project. If the moderators don't like this content please just take this post down and no the whole thread.
    IMG_6412R.jpg
    It's pretty easy to remove an engine when there is nothing in the way.
    IMG_6416R copy.jpg
    Out with the old and in wit the new 200.
    IMG_6415R.jpg
    This brake system had to go.
    IMG_6417R.jpg
    The 200 requires some more surgery in order to clear the pan.
    IMG_6418R.jpg
    More surgery required for speedo access.
    IMG_6420R.jpg
    Getting lighter?
    IMG_6421R.jpg
    A new transmission mount was needed.
    IMG_6422R.jpg
    Bracket is for the emergency brake.
    IMG_6424R.jpg
    Tight but adequate room.
    IMG_6497R.jpg

IMG_6425R.jpg
    New mount maintains the same angle as the previous mount.
    IMG_6495R.jpg
    IMG_6426R.jpg
    A genie shifter will go on the transmission. I had to change the shift gate out in this one. IMG_6429R.jpg
    Shift position sending unit purchased long ago for the 350. I had to modify the linkage
    to fit the 200.
    IMG_6428R.jpg
    Yellow arrow points to the new longer linkage. Tricky to make but it works :).

6. Looks great Sam. Just asking...Is there enough room at the crossmember to slide the trans back and remove it from the bottom? It would be a pain to take the front sheet metal off in order to remove the engine and trans from the top in the event of a trans issue.

loudbang likes this.
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

This build is an excellent example of patience and intestinal fortitude. I can’t say anything that’s not already been stated.........amazing execution of problem solving.

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Tim! We did consider how much room would be required to remove the transmission without pulling the engine and hopefully we have added enough room for doing that. We have had to pull the engine out too many times in my coupe to remove the transmission to not consider that likely scenario.

Thank you i.rant good to see you are watching the painfully slow progress.

IMG_6431R.jpg
    The PO of this frame evidently didn't think he needed to have a top on the old Ford X
    member box but I did. So using the holes that were already there I fabricated a new top.
    IMG_6430R.jpg
    Using some 1/8 plate I laid out a plan. What I really wanted was a nice half round
    center section but I had no luck finding any at the local steel vendor and nothing on hand.
    So I decided to try using multiple bends on the metal break. Well that didn't work to well.
    So I settled for two pieces with one bend each welded in the center. Of course the next
    week when I took my drive line in for some work, there on Drive line Dave's shop floor
    was all sorts of varying diameters of steel tubing I could have used for this project.
    Oh well.... This will work.
    IMG_6432R.jpg IMG_6433R.jpg IMG_6497R.jpg
    I guess I didn't take a top side picture of it installed but this picture shows it pretty well.
    It should be stout enough. I like that brace the PO made in the foreground.
    IMG_6415R.jpg
    As I mentioned in an earlier post this single master cylinder and remote power booster
    just wasn't going to beadequate for me so we took it all out.
    IMG_6493R.jpg
    I thought I was going to need a a new pedal assembly since I was switching from power
    brakes to manual. So I ordered a kit from Speedway that included a the corvette MC and
    pedal assembly. Turned out that the pedal assembly I had was the same ratio as the new one.
    We double checked the charts for pedal ratio and decided this old one will work just fine.
    Speedway was nice enough to allow me to return the pedal assembly and keep the master cylinder.

upload_2022-2-23_13-9-12.jpeg
    They say this MC is supposed to work with disc disc applications. I have been very happy with this same
    MC in my 40 coupe So I will give it a try. If I don't like it I will convert to the the disc disc version later.
    IMG_6494R .jpg
    Don is a wizard at brake lines and was able bend up theses tight radius lines in a couple
    of hours. That arrow is pointing to a PVC pipe spacer I installed along with a cardboard
    template of the pedal so I could determine where to make the hole in the toe board.

IMG_6498R.jpg
    upload_2022-2-23_12-59-38.png
    Don also installed these 2 PSI valves in the lines front and back since we have disc brakes on both. This is a nice kit. I remember when building my coupe the adapters were not included with the valves so I had to order and wait for them. They even put the the thread sealant on them! Sorry I didn't get a picture of them installed.

IMG_6457R.jpg

IMG_6458R.jpg
    We installed all of this stuff so that we could finish installing the the front floor boards.
    We will start covering that in the next post.

Attached Files:

b-bop, dwollam, 40FORDPU and 5 others like this.
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Now that the master cylinder and shifter are in place we can figure out where to put the holes for them.
    IMG_6434R.jpg
    I put the floor panel in place and traced around the MC from underneath . Drilled some
    holes in the corners and then cut the hole out.
    IMG_6436R.jpg
    Came out pretty close. When I was done I thought I should have made the hole bigger,
    but I was trying to keep the cover as small as possible because that lump will be under
    my foot. There is plenty of room to get the MC cover keeper off. Then I decided to
    recess the flange in the floor.
    IMG_6439R.jpg
    We used the bead roller to make the recess . The dome was fun to make. I used the sand
    bag, several hammers, planishing hammer and English wheel to shape this thing. Looks
    okay considering it will be under dynamat , insulation and carpet.
    IMG_6437R.jpg
    I chose to tack some 10-24 nuts under the cover to secure it.

Attached Files:

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done Sam; can I say again that I'm so relieved that I sold that convertible. You guys did some masterful work getting the cowl panels and firewall repaired. I really enjoy watching you guys accomplish things; it makes my project problems seem small.

11. Sam, It is looking great. Great post and pictures. Lots of info being shared to help all of us on our projects.

Keith

12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Joel, It seemed like for months we were getting nowhere on this project. It now looks like we have broken through and things are progressing nicely. I am a little behind with my posts but things are looking up. Still a lot of work to do on the doors though but they all finally close and latch!

Thanks Keith!

It's time to modify the transcover before it gets welded in. My previous 40's have all utilized
    the stock transmission cover and wooden toe boards but this time I decided to use the Bitchin
    products kit that is meant to be welded in.

IMG_6441R.jpg
    After installing the Gennie floor shifter It was obvious that we would need access to it
    for adjustments and wiring the neutral safety switch. So I marked out a generous service
    opening.
    IMG_6442R.jpg
    I used my dremel tool to cut the cover so as to get the most accurate cut with a small
    gap.
    I decided to try a different method for securing this cover . I welded a perimeter of 14
    gauge plate around the perimeter.
    IMG_6443R.jpg
    I used the plug weld technique again to secure it.
    IMG_6444R.jpg

IMG_6445R.jpg
    I tapped the flange for a lot of 10/32 screws.
    IMG_6446R.jpg
    It takes a lot of them make the panel stay tight to the original shape of the tunnel.
    IMG_6447R.jpg
    I will put some shorter screws in later or cut these off a little.
    IMG_6460R.jpg
    While we were aligning the floor before welding we discovered we were a little off center.
    After moving the transmission cover over the shift boot hole was no longer in the center.
    That necessitated a little adjustment. I took the the piece I cut out and welded back in to
    make the hole round again.

IMG_6461R.jpg

IMG_6462R.jpg
    A little bit of grinding and sanding later and it's good as new.
    IMG_6463R.jpg
    Boot ring fits now.
    IMG_6511R.jpg
    The result is good access to the shifter assembly. This shifter will probably have to be
    removed if the transmission has to be removed for service.
    IMG_6512R.jpg
    That's it! Another project done.

13. Good work. So often service access is never thought of.

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you! Well sometimes you learn things the hard way. I have learned that when you modify a car to this extent and combine parts from other cars and parts suppliers from over an 80 year period not everything works together right out of the box. So Some pre - planning for repairs,adjustments and corrections is always a good idea. It took the transmission builder several attempts to get this transmission to function correctly on his test mule so I wanted to be ready to pull the transmission out without removing the engine (just in case).....

dwollam, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watching and enjoying! Good coverage and images. I often lose interest without pictu

The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  16. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep up the good work Sam!

The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Well if you like pictures you are watching the right thread.... Thanks for watching! I am enjoying your thread also.

Thanks sshep!
    IMG_6466R.jpg
    We dug the hood out of storage to test it's fit with the cowl.
    IMG_6467R.jpg
    We had to make a couple of adjustments to the cowl but it fits good now. It was nice actually
    see it on the car.
    IMG_6469R.jpg
    The top of this bell housing cover needed some adjustments. We ended up with a gap
    at the firewall that had to be filled.
    IMG_6471R.jpg
    I used some clear plastic to make a template.
    IMG_6472R.jpg
    Lots of spot welds again. Ugly but you can see the blue indicates than thin strip of
    metal was getting hot.
    IMG_6473R.jpg
    Some metal finishing to both sides made it look decent and it's ready to weld on.
    IMG_6470R.jpg

IMG_6376R.jpg
    This yellow arrow shows the stock rocker panel . The floor fit up tight to the cowl. The
    bitchen floor and rocker kit is flat in this area.

IMG_6474R .jpg
    So Don made this piece to fill the gap.
    IMG_6475R.jpg
    The floor is now ready for welding. You can't see all the plug weld holes in this
    picture but most of them were drilled on two inch centers. Hole sizes were around 5/16 inch.
    IMG_6477R.jpg
    The sheet metal screws really work well for this temporary clamping. As Joel said earlier
    you should not weld any of this stuff down until you are sure every thing is lined up correctly.
    This is sage advice. I had to adjust the front flooring a few times before I was happy with
    the alignment. I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier but you need to drill the top
    panel holes a little larger than the screw diameter. To do that you have to drill the screw holes
    and plug weld holes before you put the panels together. If you do not do that the screws will
    force the panels apart instead of clamping them tightly together.

IMG_6503R.jpg
    A lot of plug welding later ... I also added some weld beads in between the plug welds.
    IMG_6504R.jpg

IMG_6505R.jpg
    That's it for tonight. Thanks for watching.

18. Great job Sam (and Don)!

loudbang and The 39 guy like this.
  19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful work ,Sam. It's a shame that when the car is finished, all that work will be hidden. I hope you're saving these digital pics to make photos ; they should be in an album.

loudbang and The 39 guy like this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you Tim! Without Don I probably would have given up on this project. His skill both mental and craft wise are indispensable. Just having him come over to work on it every day gets me off my butt and out to the shop to get something done.

Thank you Joel and yes there will be thousands of pictures before it is finished, all saved in a specific file on the PC. I plan to make a book from the HAMB thread when finished. I made my coupe build into a book ( three ring binder) It was 700 pages after editing and was pretty expensive to print. But I enjoy just looking through it once in a while, I often use it for reference during maintenance on the coupe or when trying to find some information on the build while trying to help someone on the HAMB.
    Cowl sides:

IMG_6355R.jpg
    So as shown before I drilled a lot of holes for plug welds on the pinch flange.
    IMG_6488R.jpg
    I used a lot of small clamps ( not shown) to hold the two panels tightly together while
    welding.
    IMG_6584R.jpg
    Plug welding again. I will sand them down later on. The top arrow shows an area
    that will be behind the hood hinge so the priority was a solid weld ,as in didn't have to
    be pretty.
    IMG_6581R.jpg

IMG_6582R.jpg
    The inside of the pinch flange should look pretty good without much metal finishing
    IMG_6491R.jpg
    So this joint needs some special attention. I took a little too much metal off of this years
    ago.
    IMG_6492R.jpg

IMG_6499R.jpg
    Finished
    IMG_6585R.jpg
    The inside of this part of the pinch flange was challenging to weld. I ended up putting
    some weld metal in that black hole behind the bolt also. The hole with the bolt in it is
    used for the hood hinge.
    IMG_6502R.jpg

IMG_6580R.jpg

IMG_6583R.jpg
    Eventually plug welded all of the holes in the firewall base.

21. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Looks good really nice work

loudbang likes this.
  22. Real progress. You'll have a complete body before you know it!

23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we follow the same philosophy on welding in replacement pieces. Try to replace the factory weld plus extra weld for strength. The factory spot welds are tough and the other visible spots were probably stick welds ( great penetration) .
    I've also been thinking about an album. I lost a bunch of pics of my coupe build but I have all the truck pix of the truck on the computer.
    Great work on the cowl.

loudbang likes this.
  24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank You!
    Thanks, At least now when I grab onto the car and give it a shake the whole car moves as one:).

Agreed, when I can I add few more welds . When I butt weld I like to leave full penetration welds unfinished in areas that they will not be seen I just think they will be a little it stronger. You can always copy pictures off of your coupe build thread back into a file on your computer. I use a digital camera for all of my pictures. I copy all of the pictures to a file on the PC and since I don't trust computers to not fail I keep the SD cards for backup when they get full.

Right front passenger door:

Now that the body is pretty much welded into the shape we hope it will stay in with decent door function it is time to work on the doors again. This may seem a little repetitious to some of you but to me they are all a little different and I want to document the work we do on them.
    IMG_6478R.jpg
    This one had a simple piece of tin braised to the bottom. We could of left it as it was
    and used it but that's not the way we do things here.
    IMG_6479R.jpg

IMG_6480R.jpg
    I am not quite sure why they added all of this bracing but it has to go. I have never seen
    a carriage bolt installed in a door before.
    IMG_6481R.jpg
    Top side of bottom corner Pretty lumpy . This area actually looked pretty good before
    the bondo was blasted away.
    IMG_6482R.jpg
    Peeling away the tin cover.
    IMG_6483R.jpg
    Yep pretty much like the back doors....
    IMG_6486R.jpg

IMG_6487R.jpg
    The trick here is to maintain the shape of the door while replacing all of this stuff.
    IMG_6489R.jpg

IMG_6490R.jpg

IMG_6500R.jpg
    Eventually there wasn't much left. we did manage to save the door skin pinch
    flange .
    IMG_6501R.jpg

IMG_6508R.jpg
    Don spent some time on the shrinker- stretcher and matched the shape of the door skin.
    IMG_6509R.jpg
    The upper piece is a little more complex. The bead roller was used for the step.
    IMG_6513R.jpg
    There was some surface rust on the skin but no holes so we treated it.
    IMG_6514R.jpg
    We used Eastwood Rust Converter. Two coats.
    IMG_6516R.jpg
    The bottom piece was easy to fit but the top was challenging to clamp for welding.
    IMG_6517R.jpg

IMG_6518R.jpg

IMG_6519R.jpg
    Don checking the arc or curve in the drivers door to be sure we hadn't lost the shape
    during the fabrication of the Passenger door.
    IMG_6520R.jpg
    A 2X4 (not shown) was used to help these clamps hold the bottom piece tightly to
    the top section.
    IMG_6521R.jpg
    The bottom seam is welded at the bend to make it look like one piece. Now all I have
    to do is make about 100 more spot welds to join all of this together.

More later:)

Crusty Chevy, b-bop, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

More door stuff

IMG_6529R.jpg
    So now the front section. Shorter but just as many challenges as the longer one.
    IMG_6530R.jpg
    I don't remember why Don wanted to make that last little piece separately.
    IMG_6531R.jpg
    The top edge of the bottom piece was trimmed off with the Dremel tool.
    IMG_6532R.jpg

IMG_6533R.jpg
    The last piece was made out of a little heavier piece of sheet metal.
    IMG_6534R.jpg

IMG_6545R.jpg

IMG_6546R.jpg
    Done with this. The good news is that the drivers door does not need a new bottom so
    we are done with door bottoms.

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Door Skin and door corner support :
    I have to admit I have been very nervous about this part of this project. Welding a
    new or donor skin onto this door won't be easy...... I have to master or at least gain
    enough skill to hammer weld the new patch in without too much warpage. The plan
    is to have me mig weld a spot weld and then have Don give the weld a few light
    smacks with hammer and dolly. Allowing for cooling between welds means this patch
    will probably take a whole afternoon. But there is plenty to do before we get to welding.
    It's kind of like painting, if you don't prep things right it will not turn out well. So let's
    get started.

IMG_6553R.jpg
    More brass to cut out.
    IMG_6560R.jpg

IMG_6547R.jpg
    So we decided to make our cut with a large radius. Rounded corners are supposed to be
    better than 90 degree corners when welding patches. Less puckering of the metal I am
    told.
    IMG_6554R.jpg
    Cut out with a Dremel tool.

IMG_6555R.jpg

IMG_6556R copy.jpg
    This door stop and support had been worked over before and we decided to replace it.
    IMG_6557R.jpg

IMG_6558R.jpg
    The whole bottom of the support was missing. This was also an area of the door that had
    been replaced many years ago by the PO.
    IMG_6559R.jpg
    This corner of the door jamb had been replaced. We deemed it ugly but usable.

IMG_6561R.jpg
    We cut out a piece of 20 gauge and laid out a 2 inch grid to help with keeping on
    track with the english wheel. We were surprised at how easily the metal moved to the
    shape we needed to math the door. We haven't decided for sure but we think we are going
    to use the donor panel. So we may come back to this piece later if the donor does not work
    out.
    IMG_6548R.jpg
    The donor door given to us by a good friend.
    IMG_6562R.jpg
    After some clean up it looks pretty good. Except for this spot by the bottom hinge.
    It seems like a lot of Fords suffered this same fate.

IMG_6563R.jpg
    Ford didn't put very many welds along the edge but they must be carefully ground out.
    I laid the piece I cut off of the convertible door on top of the donor door and marked
    the donor door 3/8" larger and cut it out.
    IMG_6564R.jpg
    We will get back to the skin later. This donor door had a better looking door stop support
    so we will try to salvage it.
    IMG_6565R.jpg
    We cut the whole corner out sand blasted it and started the salvage work. Just 4 spot
    welds hold the top section in.
    IMG_6566R.jpg

IMG_6567R.jpg

IMG_6569R.jpg
    Meanwhile I continued prepping the CS door for the new donor parts. The arrow points
    to another weld area that I needed to metal finish so the new corner would fit.
    IMG_6570R.jpg
    Not much left of the old door stop brace.....
    IMG_6571R.jpg
    This donor piece looks pretty good after clean up but it is missing it's bottom corner.
    IMG_6572R.jpg
    I had to cut the some metal out here to make this piece fir the modified CS door.
    You will see this in photos below.
    IMG_6573R.jpg
    We eventually removed this bottom piece from the donor but we could not use it.

IMG_6575R.jpg
    The bottom hinge is now a bolt on item. I had one threaded bracket for this left over
    from a Bob Drake hinge kit I bought for my coupe. The only problem was it was for the
    passenger door . Since the bracket has to span or bridge over the support I had to make
    some spacer bushings to make it work on the passenger door. The lower arrow points
    to the notches I had to cut out to fit the modified door.
    IMG_6574R.jpg
    Of course I made a trip to the hardware store looking for a 3/8 spacer. That drawer was
    empty so I figured out a way to cut them from longer bushings. Just another time consuming
    challenge....

IMG_6576R.jpg
    I tacked the the bushings on to the bracket since they were hard to get in place and
    keep them there.
    IMG_6577R.jpg
    IMG_6578R.jpg

IMG_6587R.jpg
    The test fit on the car showed the door fit was still good.
    This is a project that just keeps breeding more sub projects. So we will have to spread it
    out over a few more posts.

Attached Files:

27. Ha ha! I know that song... and am tired of singing it!

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

:) We should know it by heart by now!

loudbang likes this.
  29. All 738 verses.:eek::D

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

These simple panel clamps are great for that type of work provided you can access the rear of the worked area.
    panel clamps.JPG

loudbang likes this.