Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford Convertible Sedan Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Sep 6, 2020.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

This weeks project has been the right side trunk corner.
    IMG_5472R.jpg
    It may not look like much of a problem to solve but it was a challenge.
    IMG_5476R.jpg
    After a lot of thought I decided to use the old sedan tail pan we had removed from the car
    to supply us with the new corners.
    IMG_5477R.jpg
    Sorry about some of the fuzzy pictures. Cut out the corner of the new tail pan.
    IMG_5478R.jpg
    Several test fits were required with little tweaks of the donor metal required.
    IMG_5479R.jpg
    piece number two fabbed from sheet stock.
    IMG_5480R.jpg
    close.

IMG_5482R.jpg
    Tacked while on the car.
    IMG_5483R.jpg
    I decided to weld this piece on the bench. this allowed me weld both sides which allowed
    me to contour the rounded edge of the reveal.Forgot to take pictures of the weld.

IMG_5486R.jpg
    Well I did take a picture of the finished weld but this time it is really fuzzy.
    IMG_5488R.jpg
    corner welded in and drilled for plug welds for the back section.
    IMG_5490R.jpg
    Another element ready for welding.The corner was built from four separate pieces. I missed
    a lot of opportunities for pictures of this corner building process. I will try to catch some on
    left side.
    IMG_5489R.jpg
    Okay the corner is in so it's time to modify this brace and get it installed. Since we raised
    the tool box floor an inch we had to reshape things a little. This end piece was pretty
    messed up so it was cut off.
    IMG_5491R.jpg
    Test fits.
    IMG_5492R.jpg IMG_5493R.jpg
    Painted the bottom side before final installation.
    IMG_5494R.jpg IMG_5495R.jpg
    Repaired some cracks and welded the unit in.
    IMG_5496R.jpg
    Parting shots
    IMG_5497R.jpg
    Took about a week for this repair/modification. Should work pretty good when finished.
    Merry Christmas to you all!

Attached Files:

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

39 Ford Bed CartoonR.jpg
    Credit to Mr Ashworth from a October 1999 Street Rodder Magazine. Just could not resist posting it.

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I do read n look carefully at what you n others post. Not everyday, but it's well worth my time to learn from you guys. Wish I could learn in person. This is next best. Thanks for the effort posting pics n comments.
    Marcus...

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you Marcus, it's always good to hear from those that watching. It makes me feel better about investing the time to post.

5. I like that you're making your corner mods look factory.

The 39 guy likes this.
  6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Some factory parts involved..... started the left side today. Hope it turns out as well as the right. I have to do a lathe project for Don's Jeep this week and will be busy with family during the Christmas week so progress will be slow on this corner. Did you say you were going to round off your trunk corners?

7. Yes I am. The opening was done some time ago and now I am working on the shortened lid. I cut the inner bracing out years ago to get access to the panel to fill handle and license plate bracket holes and re do old repairs...but I'm wondering why I cut it out in so many pieces.:rolleyes: All good, the jigsaw is back together and am back to the lower skin and inner area for the latch.

chryslerfan55 and The 39 guy like this.
  8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

No progress this week. Spent the early part of the week machining some brake baking plates for Don. Had a fun Christmas Holiday with some of the family.

Atticus in Shop Christmas 2020.jpg
    I had a blast with my Grandson Atticus! We built some weird stuff before he decided he needed his own work bench. Look how tidy/organized his tools are. Of course the bench wasn't big (typical garage guy) enough so he had to add some wings on the sides. Atticus is the youngest of seven grandsons and newly acquired in a second marriage of one of my sons. He is a great kid and the most promising of all of them (including my sons) as far as mechanical interest. I feel blessed. Merry Christmas !

9. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

As usual you make it look easy! Great work so far! I am looking forward to more progress in the near future.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you daleeric! I see you are from Omak Washington. Have we met before. If not maybe this year.

Well it's been awhile since the last post. We have been busy but progress is very slow. I will try to start catching up with the progress we have made though.

IMG_5504R.jpg
    DS lower edge drilled for spot welds.
    IMG_5506R.jpg
    Weather strip backside was formed on the shrinker stretcher.
    IMG_5507R.jpg
    Clamped for welding
    IMG_5509R.jpg
    After finishing the backside weld a flat piece was bent to fit and welded onto the backside.
    IMG_5510R.jpg
    It's time to modify and repair the trunk support.
    IMG_5511R.jpg
    Some relief cuts to help with reshaping this section.
    IMG_5513R.jpg
    Fixed. I left some brass in this piece but the remaining brass is in non stress areas and
    Paint adhesion should no be a problem here.
    IMG_5512R.jpg
    I had to make a new end for the bracket and shorten it a little to fit the new trunk pan.

IMG_5515R.jpg
    Installed support
    IMG_5622R.jpg
    Top corner was repaired with the same methods as the passenger side.
    IMG_5625R.jpg

IMG_5623R.jpg
    Finally moving on to the next fun repair

Attached Files:

11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It's time to gap the trunk lid. We spent considerable time deciding where the optimum location in the hole was for the lid before starting the gaping process .
    IMG_5517R.jpg
    Well you might not be able to throw a cat through this gap but any mouse worth his
    cheese could have fit through it.
    IMG_5531R.jpg

IMG_5532R.jpg
    My weapon of choice here was some 1/8" welding rod. It bent around the corner
    very easily. I just tacked it on about 1 inch apart and then started spot welding it
    on to the trunk filling in the gaps. plenty of time was allowed between welds to allow
    cool to the touch between passes.
    IMG_5533R.jpg

IMG_5534R.jpg
    I kept welding until all of the spots were connected.
    IMG_5535R.jpg
    This process went on until three pieces of rod ( in some places) were welded on. The
    trunk lid was then flipped over and the welding process repeated on the bottom side.
    IMG_5541R.jpg
    Ready for finishing
    IMG_5547R.jpg
    Metal finished welds
    IMG_5548R.jpg
    IMG_5536R.jpg
    I had to grind so much of the passenger side skin's edge to get a gap that matched the body
    that it separated from the from the skin.

IMG_5537R.jpg

IMG_5538R.jpg
    So I cut it off and cleaned up the the surface.
    IMG_5539R.jpg
    Made a paper contour gauge for reference so I could return the edge to contour after
    welding the edge back on.
    IMG_5542R.jpg
    Plug welds were applied to secure the metal strip before welding the edge.
    IMG_5540R.jpg
    The corners were missing so new pieces were made for them.
    IMG_5549R.jpg
    The edge was then spot welded on before metal finishing to contour. I guess I missed
    getting a picture of the welded edge.

IMG_5543R.jpg

IMG_5544R.jpg

IMG_5545R.jpg
    A second layer of corner metal was added after this to make the corner appear stock.

IMG_5550R.jpg
    After grinding the drivers side corner to contour some weld repair was required.
    IMG_5636R.jpg
    Corner repaired.
    IMG_5626R.jpg
    Top drivers side corner finished
    IMG_5627R.jpg
    Passenger side corner contoured.

This project required a lot of patience and time. I took me a few weeks and I still need to
    do a little more touch up before the body work phase.

12. Man that's a ton of work, but has to be satisfying. Good job.

Glad your pics includes the prop rod bracket and spring. Reminds me I don't have that. Hunk of wood has been serving duty.

Also interesting are the variances in internal bracing between body styles.

(Just be grateful your top corners were rounded to begin with;))

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and The 39 guy like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Throwing cats through things, thanks for the flashback to working with my Dad, gone since 1983, miss him every day. Bob

Atwater Mike and The 39 guy like this.
  14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It was a lot of work as you well know. ( Thanks for the PM) Each one of these sub projects when completed is celebrated with some high 5's around here. It is satisfying. That stock prop rod works very well. Hope you can source one for your Sloper.

15. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Glad to see you’re getting around to this one Sam. Don’t you already have a complete chassis for it?

Making me jealous about not having a shop any more. I even sold my nice Lincoln mig welder to Mike. Guess I will just keep buying them done and miss out on the real fun.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Gee John it only sat in that trailer for 15 years or so....... I do have the full chassis for the car. The body is sitting on it now, I just have not caught up with that in the thread yet. It seems like you are having a lot of fun driving your Hot Rods. Nothing wrong with buying them done especially when you drive them as much as you do. Not building them also could make it easier to sell one to buy another one to enjoy for awhile. I tend to grow to attached to them after all of the effort it takes to build them and just can't bring myself to part with them. Hope to see you this summer!

17. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

I know about attachment. I owned the first 32 sedan for 20 years and although it was a complete car when I bought it I wanted it different so tore it completely apart and built it back with the blower motor. Lots of work although no body work like you are doing.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Same.

19. Coming along nicely..appreciate your updates.

20. Great work on a finicky project!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

What other cars have you built and held on to?

23. I still have the deuce roadster I built in the 90's. It's been on the road 22 years now. I sold my 39 coupe half way into the roadster build and always regretted it but, the funds helped and 'where do you keep them all?'
    With civilian cars, once I have one I tend to drive it forever. I'm not into renewing every few years.

24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I saw a picture of your roadster on Facebook the other day. Definitely a keeper! I fortunately have enough room to keep the three I have and maybe one more.....

A few weeks ago we made the decision to move the body to the frame it will be living on. It's a real mood lifter.Even though it's not, it feels like a giant leap forward in progress seeing the body on this nice frame.

IMG_5557R.jpg IMG_5558R.jpg IMG_5559R.jpg IMG_5575R.jpg IMG_5576R.jpg
    I built this tube frame for the car years before knowing that it would soon be a pile of parts.
    The frame works like an assembly jig. I can't say it has worked perfectly as we have had
    some problems getting the doors to fit. We spent the better part of a week trying to get the
    door gaps right. We are still not satisfied with the fit but we will get there as we progress through
    the project.
    IMG_5577R.jpg IMG_5578R.jpg IMG_5579R.jpg

IMG_5647R.jpg
    I didn't always like the 39 Ford trunk latch assembly but over the years I have come to like
    the art decco element of it. So I have gone to considerable time and expense to piece together
    this one. For years I thought I had a latch for it but found out I didn't so I figured I would just
    buy one.......
    IMG_5648R.jpg
    Turns out no one is making them and I was having difficulty finding and original. After
    some searching I ended up talking to Karl Wescott. Karl said that the 35-36 Ford would
    work with a small modification. All I did was drill an access hole in the bottom corner
    of the latch and it fit right in and works great.
    IMG_5649R.jpg
    IMG_5651R.jpg
    Well that's all for now. We have been making good but slow progress and I have a lot of
    pictures stacked up . I just need to set aside more time for posting this stuff.

Attached Files:

25. Wow, that's a lot of steel for the assembly jig/body framing! Looking good. It's always feels like progress when the body goes back on the chassis (even if it's only for a short time knowing full well that there will be seven more on and off cycles before the project is done!).

The 39 guy likes this.
  26. That's because there is no floor in the car to tie it together is my guess. JW

The 39 guy likes this.
  27. Just read through the entire thread and I'm exhausted. (in a good way) Kudos to you for doing the good work to save such a cool car. I did the tool tray and trunk on my 40 sedan and it was not as nice as what you're doing. Subscribed!

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

So true. It is a mood lifter but it certainly will be as you said. At least seven.....

That's right John, She now has 1/3 of her floor. It's nice to not have the rear of the car flopping or waging it's tail anymore.

Thanks Dan , hope you didn't break a sweat reading the thread.... I remember enjoying your build thread on the 40 Sedan . Hope you get another 40 project someday and share it's build with us. The tool box was one of those things I thought would take a few days. As it turned out I just finished the last details of it this week after months of fiddling with it and all of the other parts it connects to.

29. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Nice work, I do like those radiused corners, and nice use of the coupe tail pan for the bumper slots, great idea.

Atwater Mike and The 39 guy like this.
  30. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It's time to work on the trunk and rear seat pan area now that the body is on it's new frame.
    IMG_5586R.jpg
    This piece had to be cut off to accommodate the wheel tubs.
    IMG_5588R.jpg

IMG_5589R.jpg
    IMG_5590R.jpg
    This nice piece had to be reconfigured to accommodate the pan hard bar.
    IMG_5606R.jpg
    You can see the pan hard bar in this photo. The frame has been C notched and we were
    concerned that the pan hard bar would be hitting the floor on occasion. After considerable
    measuring for max travel of the suspension we thought we needed about 4 inches of room
    for travel. I noticed well after making lots of room for travel that the shocks only have 2 1/2"
    of travel so I would say we now have plenty of room ( unless I change the coil overs out.

IMG_5594R.jpg
    We ended up cutting the left edge off and bending this piece a couple of times to make room
    for the pan hard bar. We tried in the stock rear seat bottom spring set to see if it would still
    fit after this modification. We think the spring set can be modified to fit. Worse case scenario
    is it may have to be replaced by a foam cushion.
    IMG_5638R.jpg
    We recently acquired this 6 foot break and have used it several times already. Works
    great and didn't cost much thanks to my Uncle Mike.
    IMG_5596R.jpg
    First bending project on the new tool. This piece replaces the lip we had to cut off
    of the seat pan.
    IMG_5599R.jpg

IMG_5601R.jpg
    These pieces needed some modifications to fit the modified seat pan.
    IMG_5602R.jpg

IMG_5603R.jpg
    Self drilling screws were used to hold the panels together for welding.
    IMG_5605R.jpg
    IMG_5606R.jpg

IMG_5607R.jpg
    Pre drilled some holes for plug welds.

IMG_5656R.jpg
    Marked for pre drilling of the rear end cover.
    IMG_5657R.jpg
    Drilled some holes for the C pillar support mounts.
    IMG_5661R.jpg
    We had borrowed this fancy spot welder to weld these panels in. If it had worked correctly
    it would have been great. But try as we might we could not get enough weld penetration.
    I ended up having to go back and drill all of the spot welds out and plug weld them.... IMG_5662R.jpg
    Yes looked good but would not hold.
    IMG_5666R.jpg
    Welded, could have left them like that but chose to finish them. You can see the rocker
    welded in here .I will cover that piece in the next post.
    IMG_5671R.jpg
    So far I think this Bitchin Products floor stuff is pretty good quality and fits well over all.
    IMG_5680R.jpg
    Plug welds sanded .

Attached Files: