Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 Ford Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot LZ, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Hot LZ

Hot LZ

Need help. I’m reassembling the brakes on a ‘39 Ford after I replaced the wheel cylinders. One question referring to the brake shoes. According Mac’s Antique Auto Parts catalog, page 16, quote: “Remember that the metal brake shoes are usually faced with brake lining of different length. The shoe with the longer lining goes on the rear side of your brakes, toward your tail lights.” I talked to one of there tech. and he informed me that is correct.
    Now according to the Big Green Book I see a diagram of the opposite, with the longer brake lining facing toward the front of the car.
    Who’s correct ?
    I would be thankful for any help, Hot LZ

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Longer lining to the front on Lockhead style non self engerising brakes ie early Ford. Bendix style as long lining to rear.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Macs is WRONG! Long lining on front , same reason the bigger bore of the wheel cylinder faces forward.

4. Hot LZ

Hot LZ

Thanks guy's.___Hot LZ

5. Southfork

Southfork

What does the brake backing plate look like on a '39 Ford? Can someone post a pic of one? Is it a one-year only deal??? Or is does it look the same as the 40 and later backing plate?

6. the backing plates all look the same from 39' on.. theres some slight difference on the shoe locating pins,39' brakes aren't the greatest to use constant adjustment,tend to lock up from time to time,have to fiddle with grinding the shoes to fit the drums,high pedal effort blah blah blah..what you need is F100 floating brakes,they use intertia and foward motion to stop the vehicle,kind of like twisting,less pedal effort...

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The early backing plates, 39-41, are the same with a heel adjustment eccentric and locknut at the bottom of each shoe and a gross adjustment up top. The shoes have a round hole in them at the heel end into which go the brass eccentrics. The shoe retainer clips are a small spring steel insert which goes into a stamped "box" on the plate front and rear.

The later backing plates, 42-48 Pass and 42-47 Pickup, are the same with fixed heels of the shoes mounted on studs and a gross adjustment up top. The shoes have a larger than 39-41 hole in them that is flat on two sides. A brass or steel insert fills the hole and slips over the studs when installed. The shoe retainer springs are the usual heavy spring steel style you see today and clip into slots in the backing plates front and rear.

Other than heel holes the shoes are identical in size, shape, and lining thickness etc.

Rear backing plates can be used up front and vice versa, just knock out the e-brake cable tubes.

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's the early style 39-41 with the adjustment nuts at the bottom. The pic with all the extra holes.
    The later style, 42-48, with the fixed heels. The one with the scoop.

Attached Files: