Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1939-40 Mercury Kustoms. Pics !

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Feb 15, 2005.

1. Here's a pic of my buddy's 39 Merc. Kinda crappy picture angle to see much details.
    [​IMG]

Ranchero59 likes this.
  2. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Wow ! I know that Don Telen car, but didn't know it was the same. Sounds
    cool to rebuild it the way it was, even though it was real nice when you had
    it too.

40LUV
    He doesn't have a soft spot for them, he's FANATIC, ha ha...
    I'll show these pics for Wolf and he'll fall off his chair. [​IMG]

Lloyd
    Thanks ! The wheels I'm using now are 15". 1950 Mercury in rear and some
    Ford wheels in front with a bit more offset. The Sombreros has welded on
    trim rings. Bought it in Neptune Beach, outside of Jacksonville.

Keep them pics coming ! [​IMG]

Here's a pic of mine first year, when I had cut the top off to make it a
    convertible. Only drove it for two months like this before I started with the
    top. Unnecessary, yes.... I just wanted it to come out in the streets and
    there was no chance to make a proper chopjob and still get it out for
    summer. Slightly earlier style with 16" wheels (Ford Script tires) and no "50"
    tag on the -47 plate.

[​IMG]

EVL401, Toyjunky and Ranchero59 like this.
  3. Lloyd

Lloyd

J.B. -Thanks for the info. Could you explain a little more about how you welded the trim rings to the Sombreros? Did you use Tig, Mig, etc.? And did you get any shrinkage on the face of the hubcap? Did you have to rechrome them?

4. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Just wanted to add these pics of John D's Matranga clone Stardust.J.B.,you told me you gonna chrome your dash too and so I thought the pics would fit here.Looks very impressive.I also really dig the chromed window frames and these are a must on any tasteful Kustom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a nice interior this would be with a simple tuck 'n' roll job.Scanned the pics out of a mag hence the poor quality.
    By the way,anybody has some recent pics of Kevan Sledge's '39 Merc ?

5. Janne

Janne

Drawing I did last year. Stardust without spotlights:

[​IMG]

6. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

There seems to be an inordinant number of metalmasters up there in Scandinavia - what's up, Do they teach you all how to shape metal and gas weld in grade school or what?

Beautiful car J.B.!

7. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Hey, that's funny....here's my version:

8. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

9. 38pickup

38pickup

I thought I would just link in some pic I showed in a nuther post I did... Maybe soon I will have a pic of the windows done and in....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. japchris

japchris
    from England

11. Janne

Janne

I did my version based on magazine article in British Custom Car Magazine. Background is my own design.

-

12. Rikster

Rikster

Dave Linday took this photo of the Matranga clone

[​IMG]

Ron Martinez's 40 mercury... georgious

[​IMG]

The Harry Bradley designed, Donn Lowe built '40 Mercury Afterglow is breathtaking

[​IMG]

Perfection from any angle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ranchero59 likes this.
  13. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Good to see J.B.'s thread again ! Here's one more of the Martinez Merc.Picture was taken at the 50th Grand National Roadster Show.Great car !

[​IMG]

Hard to believe that somebody had the guts to paint the car with a music note-style paintjob.GOOD to see it restored again...Scott Guildner once more showed his inmpressive skills and the work on the '48 Merc bumpers alone is just awesome.So many subtle mods,spread on the whole car...

14. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Rik,I was surprised to see one more pic of Kevan Sledge's Merc posted by you today.I already requested for more pics of this great Merc earlier in this thread and it was cool to see another one.Thanks !!! I meanwhile found some other pics.Well,somehow it's bad one of the Shifters/Sledge himself(?) stands on the running board but on the other side it makes you appreciate the lines, proportions and stance of the car as you have "something" to refer to,scalewise.Those '39/'40 Mercs are REALLY beautiful cars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic is scanned out of the last issue of CK Deluxe and shows the car painted at VLV.The pic is pumped up hence the poor quality.Sorry.

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

That car played a crucial role in me building my custom.

I had just bought and brought mine home (as a pile of junk parts) and after really having a long look at what a twisted/rusted pile of worthless crap it was, I realized I was in way over my head and had mostly decided to bail on the project.

A couple days later I went to that show and saw that car and it got me all wiggy again about building a fat fender custom so I went home and got started on it.

16. Rathbone

Rathbone

I just bought a '40 Mercury off Ebay. I don't have it yet. I threw a bunch of money at it so I hope it's as good and the seller says. It has already been chopped, and hopefully it was done well. Otherwise I'll have to chop it some more. I have a lead on a Ford FE 390 for it.

17. MERCJERK

MERCJERK
    from SAN DIEGO

Heres mine , I need a good set of rear fenders though . I dont feel like fixing mine unless I have to .

18. Rathbone

Rathbone

How did you lower it? I want to be able to drive mine long distances reliably, but of course be really low.

19. MERCJERK

MERCJERK
    from SAN DIEGO

Air bags , The rear in the pic will still fall another inch and a half , I need to cut the wells out , All the way up it looks like it might be a little tough for really bad driveways . Bags are great , They sure can ride nice if done right , My guy does them right ;) You dont have to go all the way down to be really low.

20. Rathbone

Rathbone

So to use bags on the car did you have to change the leaf springs out of the stock suspension? I don't have my car yet but I understand it has leaf springs in the front and rear...

21. MERCJERK

MERCJERK
    from SAN DIEGO

Yea the leafs are wayyyy gone , This this is the current seup . Im also running mustang two up front .

22. Rathbone

Rathbone

I finally took a photo of mine. I haven't started on it yet, I'm still accumulating parts. It was chopped when I bought it, but I'll have to improve the work that was done - eventually. I'll take out the B pillar, and add Air Ride. I have a 390 from a '58 Thunderbird I'll put into it. I still need to locate the finned valve covers and air cleaner for that.

23. Rathbone

Rathbone

I lightened the photo of the bare steel car:

24. Route 66 Fun Run

25. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Oddjob2,congratulations again ! Your new Merc is really fine ! Remember me ? I was watching the Merc too and thought the missing engine and tranny would make the shipping complicated...I didn't realize the car's potential.Too bad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually like the version with the B-pillar,kinda Martinez-esque(now that's a word) and if you gonna bag it,I only would bag the rear at all for that taildraggin' stance.I rather would lower it the old fashioned way.Just my two cents.

26. Rathbone

Rathbone

Yeah, I remember you. I debated for a while about how to lower it. I should have gone the old fashioned way- that would have put me on the road a lot sooner. But I've already bought the Heidt's IFS, 4 bar rear, and Air Ride system. I went this way so I could get it low and not bottom out much. Well, this way I'll have the '40 parts for another project later on. I'll take out the B pillar because the work done around the windows is not real good and I think that will make it easier to clean up.

27. Rathbone

Rathbone

JB do a search for this. We've done it to death. I honestly think I've seen EVERY cool 39/40 Merc right here on the HAMB in the past...

Might try searching for Westergard as well..[/QUOTE]

Here's another one of mine ... just keeping this post alive!

I may keep the B pillars now that I've seen that Photoshop image. My chop may not be super low like some others.

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

How about the Andy Southard car!

29. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Here's one that was over here - not sure if it still is or not as I've not seen it. I think it was one of Pete Tyas' cars...

I know most aren't crazy about visors, but it worked on this car - it was sinister looking!:cool: