Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1938 Zephyr 4dr sedan to 2dr kustom convertible conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS, Jan 30, 2018.

1. I will fallow this to the end WOW!!!!

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS likes this.
  2. That rear window looks familiar :)
    Bet I could put tha garnish to some use if you wanted to part with it
    image.png

image.jpeg image.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and mike bowling like this.
  3. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

32SEDAN, dwollam, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  4. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

5. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

my car was missing skirts so instead of spending $1500 on a used set that still needs work i figured id just make my own. I made these using my Sosa helve hammer with radius dies, hand flanged the edge and fine tuned the flange with a special tool i made using a planishing hammer. these still need final clean up 20180201_212019.png 20180201_212057.png

dwollam, ace5043, kiwijeff and 10 others like this.
  6. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

i started cutting down the windshield section for the chop and prep to modify it to resemble the stock convertible pillars 20180129_212937.png 20180201_212415.png 20180129_213015.png

dwollam, kiwijeff, ClarkH and 9 others like this.
  7. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

after i did that work i was actually lucky enough to find a actual 38 zephyr convertible windshield section. Thats definitely not something i thought id ever locate. ill be installing this soon, trying to get the tail end of the car done so i can get into the quarters and doors. 20180201_210909.png

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

9. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

Since i have the catwalk panels shaped out i should start making the facial structure panel that will be facing inside the cab area. The top curvature is the same curve as the panel, the idea is to flange the inside catwalk part and spot weld the flange like it would be stock to this so it doesn't disturb the paint job and the spot weld seam is hidden behind the top Again doing this in 2 pieces due to my bead roller only allowing me to go in 36". once the structure of the car is built and done i can oull out the bracing and set the panel in its place. Good chance i might do something different to look more factory. 20180201_212212.png 20180201_212232.png 20180201_212249.png

dwollam, kiwijeff, ClarkH and 5 others like this.
  10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing attention to detail. Skoty, as has already been mentioned, you could work for any high-end coach builder in the world.

11. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

amazing skills Skoty!

12. BJR

BJR

That's not so impressive, I could have done the same with three 55 gallon drums of Bondo and some cement finishing trowels. :p:D Please keep posting, I will take a chance and speak for us all. Your metal skills are just over the top amazing!

40two and SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS like this.
  13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW great skills Thank you for posting your work .

14. roaddog

roaddog

skoty that is amazing work and you are an inspiration to many builders,i built my 52pontiac and you photoshopped the pics for me which was the drive i needed to finish i still have the photo hanging in the garage today.keep up the great work.

15. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

today i was able to put a little time on the 38 and got the decklid panel opening at the top pinned and tack welded, cut back the fatness on the dr side catwalk panel and gapped the decklid to the catwalk. ill be tack welding this all together soon. IMG_20180202_160954_756.jpg 20180202_144250-01.jpeg 20180202_145029-01.jpeg

Attached Files:

32SEDAN, dwollam, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  16. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

thanks buddy, i dont know about that but i def enjoy metal shaping and metal work. i appreciate the kind words bud

17. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

haha awesome bro, i remember that. that was years ago

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. patterg2003

patterg2003

Enjoying your vision and certainly your great craftsmanship. Appreciate that you are taking the time to share this super project.

19. philo426

philo426

When you finish the back deck will you have an opening trunk and if so how will you fabricate the inner structure to prevent the sheet metal from flexing or deforming when using the trunk lid?

20. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

yes i will have a working deck lid, i will be building a complete inner structure under the sheet metal before i install it permanently.

21. philo426

philo426

22. Outstanding work!, Subscribed

23. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Very cool and well executed project. Your vision for the car is spot on!!

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thanks for showing us your work and inspiring us. I know that when I make parts, its common to get it wrong and I have to rework it. Are you able to get it right the first time or do you have to correct inaccuracies too?

25. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

I make corrections when shaping the panels, the patterns I make are like GPS for me and make it a lot easier and allows me to know how much i need to put in a area and where to put it. Once I get really close to the shape I want I back off on the pressure and start cleaning up the panel, getting all the lows spots out and blending worked areas. That stuff is what takes the most time but I love doing it. I can say I have never really thrown away a panel but say like my skirts I made for this car the flange is off in a few spots and I will need to go back and correct that before I can say there done. Ideally I would have made a hammer form for that edge so it's would be perfect but I have not done so yet but I plan to.

Sent from my SM-N920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  26. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

Really looking foward to getting the details in the catwalk and making this panel all one piece. [​IMG]

27. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

In this photo you can see all the spots I have circled, those are slightly low spots that either need to come up or need to be blended with the rest of the panel[​IMG]

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thank you for the reply. About how much time is in your fender skirt?

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I wish I could move metal around like you do but I do relate. Scribeing wood work is much the same in making it fit a wall, fireplace, stonework ect. so it looks like the wood came first without loosing the whole thing and having to start over.

30. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

I think metal is a lot more forgiving then wood, if you cut wood to short your screwed. If I cut metal to short and I really needed to I can add metal back to it. Wood working is a craft I'd like to learn also

mike bowling and chryslerfan55 like this.