Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1938 hotrods at the dry lakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TraderJack, Jul 9, 2008.

1. TraderJack

TraderJack

Yeah, there were NO belly tanks at the lakes before the war! Rufi built that little streamliner and it was a beautiful car. Some of the pictures show the modified that were running before the war. The Rajo in the video is what we called a modified in that in was a single passenger car about the size of a race car. There were two in San Diego that I remember Austin Potter had a beatiful one, highly detailed and professional looking, v8 and the first one I had seen with all of the wires neatly arranged.
    The other was Bozzie Willis who had a Ford Ferguson (if I remember correctly) in his , and it was called "Steam Beans".

TraderJack

2. TraderJack

TraderJack

belly tanks , right after the war. Four I can remember, Xydias, V8 60, Fred Lobello, 2 port riley, and John Vesco, 4 port riley. bill Burke, , whoops, another one, Harvey Haller, Desoto.

Vesco ran a body shop right near my home, and to give you an idea of what it cost to have body work done, I dinged the fender of my mother's 41 ford,took it to John's shop, and it cost me $5 to have it banged out, and repainted.

traderjack

3. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Wow, that's some priceless information and photo detail! Thank you very much for posting it.

That also put's an interesting spin on the current price of gas. Even though it was only 15 cents per gallon then, it was even more expensive than what we're paying today.

Thanks again!

Pardon my ignorance, but is Rajo pronounced "Ray-Joe", "Rah-joe" or is it like Spanish with the J making an H sound?

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

GREAT STUFF! That Tommy Lee car is totally restored now, was owned by a fellow in Mass, he had it at Hershey a few years ago. Note the number of Franklin tube front axles on the cars, starting with the first one.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've always pronounced it Rah-Joe. The one in that T roadster looks to be a Model B RAJO, if it had twin plugs (one on either side) it would be a BB. I'm still kicking myself for selling the one I had 30 years ago.

6. OLLIN

OLLIN

wow, this is a cool thread. welcome to the Hamb!

7. plan9

plan9

Trader Jack - excellant explaination on the Ruxstell,,, and i thought my columbia 2spd was gonna be a pain to setup!!

im building up a flathead powered car for El Mirage/Bville, the cost is really high even with me doing most of the drive train..... i dont see how it'd be much different (cost wise) back in your day.

there aint no pricetag on learning & having fun... thanks again for the stories, keep them coming! what about the war years? i know some guys were still running their cars, albeit on a very limited basis.

8. TraderJack

TraderJack

Hey, just look at the old car and think of what the carb, and the enginehead are worth today, not to mention the tube axle.

it is never too late to want to do the old stuff, the only limiting thing is the ability to lift the things and put them on or in the car. Used to able to lift the T engine, but now I can't lift the head!

85 years old, and no longer a strong young fellow that can lean over the car.

Used to do the rods on that car, by lifting the car up and standing it on the side wheels for access to the pan! LOL

traderjack

9. BigWigRaceCars

BigWigRaceCars
    from Austin, TX

Fantastic! Thanks alot for sharing all this!

10. TraderJack

TraderJack

Prices then , and now. first pair of Edelbrock heads, 1946 cost me $74, I was making 65 cents an hour or 113 hours of work. Today that would cost $1.025 and Edellbrock now is selling them for $600. Cheaper now than back in !946.

My full race motor I sold in 1948 for $250 or 162 hours of work, today that would be about $1500. I don't think you can get a complete full race motor for $1,500 today.

My rear tires,7:50 x16 cost me $12.50 retreads, or a days work. today that would be $72, pretty close to what they would be today, retreads.

But they would only last 5,000 miles. LOL

We got Miller regrind cranks for $3.50, 97's for $3.00 rebuilt,set of ring,pins, and pistons, for $12.50, $7.50 for set of bearings for ford. Cam, crank, and rod.

traderJack

11. These "history threads",are wonderful,thank you so much for sharing the memories with us.:D

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

TraderJack needs inducted into the Hamb "hall of fame".....:D

This stuff is GOLD!

Thanks for sharing!

13. TraderJack

TraderJack

How times have changed, or have they. Bought my first car, 1927 chevy in 1936 for $12, You could buy a 27 t for 12-15, and earlier t foe $5-10,

I bought, in 1939, a 32 Ford Phaeton, with a Cadillac Flat Head and transmission in it for $35, towed it home and started it up, and found that someone had but the custom tube intakce manifold gaskets in upside down, turned them over, and the car ran perfectly. Next car was a 34 4door in 1941 for $35, perfect condition, kept that through the war, chopped the top off it and then my brother rolled it with the top off, and that was the end of that one.

Next was a 34 coupe with a 21 stud in it, put on a Jack Henry manifolc a set of filled heads, and a winfield 3/4 race cam, and started to have even more fun. Pulled the engine and put in a Merc with Clay smith cam, and Edelbrock heads, then changed the body to a 34 cabriolet

And then came the downfall, Got married! LOL

Trader Jack

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

TraderJack, this is probably the coolest post I have read in some time if not all time. I really can't tell you how much this means to us to have you aboard and letting us in on your life. I never had grandparents that were into this stuff so it's always nice to hear things first hand when ever I get a chance.

Ryan, Your right these stories are few and far between. This and the Roddick story are one of the main reasons (amongst the million others) I love this place. Thanks.

15. Have to agree with all of the above. This is one of the coolest post that I have read in a while. I love to hear from people who were actually THERE. There is nothing like it. Keep on sharing and thank you.

Best, MRAK

16. autobilly

autobilly

Trader Jack, it's great to have you on the HAMB. You're a precious resource.
    Excellent pics Jimmy B. I hadn't seen them before, as you posted them before I was on the HAMB. Going back now to check 'em out again!

17. McFly

McFly

It's very hard to wrap my mind around the idea that you where actually there! This is too cool. So often I look at these old photos and dream what it was like to be there. And here you are standing in these black & white photos, with memories of it all in living color. 70 years ago...wow! Thank you for sharing.

18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

what is that car at 1:13-1:14? i love it!

19. TraderJack

TraderJack

Aucontraire, I was not in those pictures as those were posted on youtube where I discovered them, and I was so happy at seeing the old days that I had to let the new lads see them.

I was a member of the San Diego Roadster Club at that time!

traderjack

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would have loved to be in his shoes then.

21. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Looks and sounds like good times! Thanks for sharing the stories. Your caddy powered phaeton sounds like a blast. Thanks Jack.

22. Flatman

Flatman

Solid GOLD!!! Keep posting TraderJack, I guarantee these guys will never get tired of reading stories like yours.

Thanks
    Flatman

23. 1938, wow no 39 models on the road yet and look at all the awesome hot rods and race cars at the dry lakes. A geat look into the early days. Thanks Jack!

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

LIVING HISTORY...........................PRICELESS!!!!!

Frank

25. All I can say is WOW!

TraderJack: Thanks for sharing all this history with us ... keep your stories and insights coming!

SUHRsc: Thanks again for posting the Seven Decades Back ..... 1938 thread.

hotrodav8 (on YouTube): Thanks for putting that slideshow video together ... a very well done little production ... dig the music!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  26. Brewton

Brewton

Thanks TraderJack for sharing your memories. It means a lot to us.

27. terrafirma66

terrafirma66
    from tampa fla

fairy tale stuff but real, simply awesome sir. Thank you for sharing.

28. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Trader Jack-- these pictures and stories are some the best reading i can ever recall. Appreciate you sharing history very much.

-scott noteboom

29. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Yup, enjoyed this thread a ton, thanks for sharing the history lesson Jack ... too cool:)
    cheers,
    CAB

30. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un