Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1938 ford door lock question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, Aug 23, 2020.

1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

The passenger side door lock mechanism will not engage in my 38 ford. After pulling the lock in and out. I finally realized that the stem for the lock is not going into the square hold on the latch mech. After looking further the hole on the door is not centered with the hole on the latch mechanism. The door opens normal as it should and locks from the inside. Just would like the outside key to be able to work. The key lock cylinder turns freely as well. The stem on the cylinder is not going into the hole on the latch. I know obviously this is the issue. However is the latch hole supposed to be centered with the hole on the door?

2. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Also when the lock is out of the car, I can use a screw driver in the door latch to lock and unlock

3. Are you sure a piece of the square shaft hasn't broken off?

The reason I ask is it happened to me on my '32.

[​IMG]

4. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

It hasn’t worked since getting it from the P.O. Looked the like corners have been rounded. Doesn’t look jagged. HRP does the hole in the door have to be centered with the square on the latch. I did notice on my key lock that the square shaft swivels and has movement.