Register now to get rid of these ads!

1938 Dodge Screen Side Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scoop531, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Scoop531

Scoop531

Hello all, I have a 1938 Dodge Screen side pickup. I have been searching all over the net for info, facts pictures, etc of other 38 screen sides. Does anyone on here know of any good places to look. Or know of anyone with a late 30's Screen side Dodge?

Here is a picture of mine

Attached Files:

2. mj40's

mj40's

I remember a 1916 Dodge screenside out of Roy Utah in the late 70's. It had a slant six in it and a very cool car.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I just did a search here and came up with very little. do an advanced search by title screenside. advanced is the only one that ever works for me.

4. 33mopower

33mopower

They were actually referred to as a commercial canopy and the screensides were a security option. I have a 33 and it looks like the 38 was practically the same. Because they were mostly wood very few have survived. I have not seen another 33(1/2) ton.
    You might check the dodge brothers club or Walter P Chrysler club for other owners.

5. Scoop531

Scoop531

I will check with both those clubs. We have had this truck for a few years now and every once in awhile I search for info on one. Cant ever find much. Im amazed how there are some great forums for Ford and Chevy trucks with forums and tech info for all years. But Dodge seems to be lacking here on the net. Searching for info on these trucks has been quite annoying. Im glad to see alteast another 1/2 ton exists Do you have any pics of yours?

6. noboD

noboD

Scoop, I'm seeing about 8 '38 DB trucks in the DBC roster, none listed as screen sides. That doesn't mean there are none. What information are you loking for? I might be able to help or put you in touch with someone that can. I'd like to see some more pics of the truck, too.

7. Scoop531

Scoop531

Id like to find another one for photos of the split between the cab and bed as I this one was changed at some point. production #'s really anything i can get my hand on this one was in the barn for 30 plus years last registration before I found it was in late 70's in cape cod. The market that is advertised on the side has changed hands many times and today is still in business but the owners are now foreign and don't know what im talking about.

Here is a few more pics I have more some where. The 1927 Model T is ours as well and is currently for sale

Attached Files:

8. noboD

noboD

Thanks. The Dodge Story says they were aftermarket bodies by then for the screenside. There could be a body manufacture tag somewhere, or maybe just screwholes where it once was. Let me see what i can find out. I'm near Hershey, not too far away. 31Dodger may find this thread, he knows his stuff.

9. noboD

noboD

Scoop, I just went through the AACA library's online catelog. They have some pics and literature on '38 DB trucks, but nothing specific about screensides. There's a brochure and manual if you don't have those. They can be copied and mailed with a credit card.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Weren't beds like this use for selling produce, fruits, etc. on the street. Gary

11. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Looks like a 38 DB pick up with a "coach built" canopy/screen sides to me. If they are that rare and there is no history available it would seem to me that it is probably not production. If it was there should be pics of them rolling off the assembly line.

12. I believe that they were a semi-production model, special ordered. The screenside was being phased out, but there were still a few outfits that felt they needed a screenside, so custom body builders would produce them. Dodge Brothers did not always show every model available in their brochures....especially the models that were being less ordered or custom built.

13. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I have a 37 canopy express, real bad shape. The roof on the cab was cloth not metal like yours looks to be, and there was nothing between the cab and bed. I don't have the pictures on my computer anymore but will see if the wife does if inteested.

14. Scoop531

Scoop531

Sorry for the long absence my roof is actually a rubber type cloth covering wood not metal I'd love to see pics of yours or even in person as we both are in eastern pa

15. Frank L. hughes

Frank L. hughes

Try p15 - d24 website, they might have information. A lot of older gents on there.
    Frank

16. noboD

noboD

Scoop, PM me your email. I have a good pic of a '37 screenside that may help you. I can't post it for some reason.