Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1938 chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by original mick, Jun 9, 2016.

1. original mick

original mick
    from england

just got my 38 chevy from michigan here in the UK it only has a locking handle on the passenger door i believe this was how it was back in the day do you guys have the reason for this
    i would like to put a locking handle on the driver side also but am struggling to find a supplier the filling station and chevs of the forties list but dont have them in stock do you guys know any stockists
    thanks
    mick

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Most American cars were that way up into the 60s.

You were supposed to enter and exit on the sidewalk side of the vehicle.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

I wonder if an Australian 38 Chevy has the lock on the opposite side?

You could post an ad in the classifieds.

Rich

4. Aussies drive on the left,so passenger side would be curbside also.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

L & R probably interchange, as some GM trucks using same style handle fit either side.

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Handles will fit and work either side , they aren't smart enough to know which side they are placed on

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

But wouldn't the key be right side up on one side but upside down on the other . Or would that be the opposite in, at least in Oz.

8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Try I&I reproductions they might have one. Back in the late 80's I did a 38 Chevy coupe. The door handles would interchange from side to side. Trunk handle was totally different. 37 will fit but is a different design on the outside.

9. The handles from the left and right are interchangeable.1939 Chevy handles are exactly the same as 1938 for the doors and trunk. 1937 Chevy handles will fit and bolt in but look slightly different. I have a trunk handle from I&I on my coupe and it works great. I've owned my 38 Chevy coupe for 38 years. If you cant find one send me a PM and I see if I cant find one for you.

10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i got a lock on ebay,no key butgot one cut no bother.original keys available