Register now to get rid of these ads!

1938 chevy 1 piece windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lan240, Nov 25, 2010.

1. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I am looking for a 1 piece windshield for my 38 Chevy. Where is the best place to get them. Any pro's and Con's to the 1 piece V-bent Windshield?

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

You know the grapevine....I heard there is a visual distortion in the bend when you look through it.

3. WDobos

WDobos

I see many companys in the street rod mags selling vbutts. They have been around for some time now. The first were just two pieces of flat glass with a sealer in the middle now there are one piece vbutts which I think would be the way to go.

4. My thought is this. A true V-but is simply two pieces of flat safety glass, a one piece is obviously a single piece of bent glass. Which will be cheaper and easier to replace? If you crack one half of a 2-piece it should cost less than $100 for the fix, I think the one-piece shields would cost a lot more to replace in the event of damage.

5. BigEd

BigEd

The one I had in my '38 coupe had distortion at the v bend. All the ones I saw at various shows also had distortion. I went with a two piece v-butt.

6. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Check out Jefferis Hot Rod Glass.

7. redsdad

redsdad

8. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

In my opinion v-butt it . The one piece ones are distorted and look terrible.

9. maniac

maniac

I checked them out, it was a little over $400, plus like others have said the one's I've seen are all distorted in the center.

I went with a 2 piece V-butt form the local glass place right here in town.

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

My dad had a 38 chevy that was v-butted. It was street roddish and even lightly tinted. Local glass guy did it.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Never saw a one piece 38 Chevy windshield. V butt if anything.

12. I've installed several and not one of them would I drive around the block. gives me a headache just thinking about those distorted suckers
    I don't know why they can't make one. Studebaker did one in 41 that replaced the two piece without changing the body. no distortion. they did it again in 1946, no distortion. Willy's did the same thing in 1954 for there wagons and pickups, no distortion. and Autocar trucks did it in 52, No distortion. the last one has the right bend for my 41-48 ford