Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 Chevrolet Pepsi Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the metalsurgeon, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I guarantee somebody's gonna tell the FNG to do an intro...:D:D

Great project, and thanks for your involvement in making it happen. Nice that we can come along and watch! Do you have a picture / rendering of the whole truck with the delivery body? Or is it a flat bed?

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes I feel that I do pretty good metalwork. Then I see a post like this. That's when I realize I'm a schlub. Damn!

3. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Attached Files:

4. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Attached Files:

5. I'm really enjoying your pictures of the metal restoration. Keep em' coming!

6. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Attached Files:

7. You certainly earned you screen name. Awesome work.

8. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Attached Files:

9. Nice work. It is funny that it seems like every Chevy truck has the exact same problems. I remember fixing the same stuff on my '37. I have been contemplating taking the drip rails off of mine and I like the way you did it so you may have made up my mind for me.

10. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Attached Files:

11. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

MR.the metalsurgeon, your quality of work is flawless! I have a few questions for you,..about your prosess. Can you relay your steps toward the 'finished metal'? Im assuming its something like this...butt weld, grind down, hammer/dolly,... then what? How do you get that super smooth finish?? and what type of abrasive are you using? Please enlighten me, thank you.

12. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

thank you! as you say butt weld,but leaving a hairs gap as the material pulls together so eliminating a 'peak effect'.tack,tig weld and zip the top of weld off with 3/16 cut off wheel.Then planish the weld with a hammer and dolly.Following this using a file,run across the welded area highlighting the 'highs' and 'lows'.Planishing up the 'lows' and taking down the 'highs' whilsh maintaining the correct shape.I use a spoon and a varied selection of dollies depending on shape.Repeat the file process each time followed by planishing until your panel feels good.I use an 8" grinder lightly to remove file marks and gives the polished effect.

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

LIFESTYLZ likes this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work.

"Pepsi-Cola hits the spot. 12 full ounces, that's a lot."...:)

14. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

thank you metal surgeon,......i need to make some planishing tools and purchase a quality file. i've been checking out your blog and i must say i am impressed. your history is interesting also, you definitly have a lot of experience and youre certainly at the top of your game.

15. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Thank you for checking out the site.Any further info i can help you with i will gladly provide.I will post pics of the chassis for the other subscriber on this thread.Thanks again.

16. What did you use to push out the lower portion of where the drip rail sat to get it flush with the top section? The lip around the inside has me wondering the best way to push it out due to difficulty of access if I decide to go that route.

17. Mark68

Mark68

Your talent is amazing. I am in awe. I have a question,when you install a patch panel in and you do the tack,planish,file process you described do you do any finishing to the back side of the panel. If you were to do any in the backside would it weaken the repair. I am new to this and just trying to learn/ understand. I ask this because in this instance you are currently repairing a fender that the back side is exposed to the elements and any rough surfaces are going to collect moisture and corrode faster.thank you

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  18. rally43

rally43

Thanks for the heads up.. FNG just did an intro....

We are installing a Pros Pick bed with custom stamped pepsi lettering on the tailgate....

Tim

19. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

LH rear corner of cab damage,metal finished.Last pic show the split cab line Tig welded up so cab becomes one.

Attached Files:

20. Arnolds custom garage

Arnolds custom garage

I wish i could do that with metal.
    Man you have great skills.
    Nice truck also, i am working on a model 39 chevy truck.

21. Yours looks way nicer than the job somebody did on the back of my COE.

How many hours will you have into this job?

Seriously nice work !

Attached Files:

22. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Here are pics showing the conversion from a 2 piece hood to a one piece.Patterns taken from the radiator shell and temporary brace was made to dimensions correct. After tacking together the hood is shown ready for Tig welding after inner brace is made.

Attached Files:

23. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

I knocked out the lower lip with a chasing tool (shown on my web site under the custom dashboard blog) you could make a simple one out out of wood or nylon.
    Once pushed out planished and tacked the 2 sections together.

24. Thanks!! Love the stuff on your website.

25. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Thank you!. I will post the up to date pics here in the next day or 2 and time taken to date.As im working away from home ive worked a lot of hours in a short space of time to give the project a good chance of being completed by July 4th

26. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

hey TMS what can i say this is top off very inpressive

27. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Attached Files:

28. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

Are you coming down to GNRS..I am a metal shaping friends of Lee, he said you might be coming down.We are planning to go on sunday, you in?

29. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

I was planning on going and meeting up with Lee,then this project came up with the delicate time line.Im planning for the LA roadster show instead now,so i'll be in then for sure!

30. Boy oh boy! Nice. Do you charge by the hour and how much?