Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 caddy full mod

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by my47buicksuper, Feb 13, 2019.

1. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

So I have to take 3" out of frame should I a try and just cut it off the front tip and move all the body mounts back 3 " or cut frame and weld back together?

If I cut frame is there any input on how to keep it strong after the fact I trust my welding but extra reinforcement couldn't hurt !
    I've seen guys cut a zig zag they say it's stronger then a line.

Any input
    I'm a bit away from this point but I like to do my homework

2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_9693.JPG Have you thought about front X member off 73 and later Chevy pickup.
    The crossmember unbolt and they are 5 on 5 bolt pattern disc brakes and you could use the whole brake assembly master cylinder and proportional valve.
    You will have to check the width to see if it will work. I have been following the build from down under. 39 Cad 60/S have been my all time favorite car. I can't remember how much room the x member takes up under the car and how much room for the transmission will be left if you slide the vowel mounts back and shorten the front. A shortened frame is not that hard to do if properly welded and reinforced.
    Think twice before you cut. Hope this have been helpful . Frank

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I'll look into it what type of susp do they us ? I'm wanting to keep coils up front to make air ride easy install!

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a lot of aftermarket parts for those front ends, brakes, rotors, air ride, dropped spindles etc.

5. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

10-4 thanks I'll check it out