Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 caddy full mod

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by my47buicksuper, Feb 13, 2019.

1. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Hey guys I started on this caddy and wasn't sure what I wanted! But I have a vision and it's coming along now so this will be a slow going project as I just had a child and I don't get much time in the garage much anymore but I'll get it done !
    So it's a 1938 caddy 4 door .
    The goal is Chevy 305 700r4 ,air ride , stretch the front doors get rid of the rears and a 3 " chop . There's other little things here and there but we will see how we do ! I usally just restore cars this is my first time doing this !
    So I've been cutting and cutting a tac here and there to hold things as I determine if I'm happy or not . So I'll let the pictures show what we have so far . KIMG0424.JPG KIMG0425.JPG KIMG0426.JPG KIMG0427.JPG KIMG0428.JPG KIMG0432.JPG

2. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Scan0005.jpg
    So this is basically what I'm going for with the fender mounted spares.

3. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

KIMG0834_01.JPG KIMG0835_01.JPG KIMG0840.JPG KIMG0844.JPG
    So I started by removing the top of the center post (I'll use it later to patch the roof line) then I removed 7 1/4 " out of the rear door.(again save this piece to add to the front door!) Finally moved the center post back 7 1/4 to accommodate front door once it's done ! I didn't weld rear door section up yet as I'm not done removing metal from it yet .

AChopped1950ford and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

KIMG0851.JPG KIMG0853.JPG KIMG0854.JPG KIMG0856.JPG KIMG0857.JPG KIMG0859.JPG
    Ok so I got the roof marked out for a 3" chop fairly straightforward.... A few cut off wheels later and we have a chop !
    KIMG0858.JPG
    So here we have a slight issue! But easy to fix ! So one way is add metal to roof ! But since I want a two door I wanted to loose a little more length is I chose to cut the needed 3" out of the center of the car and suck it together that way ! I then will get the desired look on the rear door area . Yeah a bit more welding is rewrequi this way but I rather like what I build then not be 100%happy
    KIMG0889.JPG KIMG0890.JPG
    Pulled the roof off so I can shrink the body by 3"
    Found a dagger a my local swap meet I am going to use as my hood ornament KIMG0891.JPG

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. VANDENPLAS

VANDENPLAS

I’m watching, looking good so far.

6. Interesting idea. I'm in.

7. If it were me I would have braced the heck out of the body before ever making a cut. But that's just me I guess.

RDR, Hnstray, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  8. texasred

texasred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Houston

Bracing is your friend

9. Stooge

Stooge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it and will be watching! always love these types of builds and restyling the bodies of these giant land yachts

Yes to bracing the body to keep it squared up before cutting

10. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Figured the frame would keep me square enough not much I can do once I cut the floor it's in the hot rod gods hands at this point ! It's just metal I will get it all back together

56premiere and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. It's probably too late. And this is likely not what you had in mind and I'm not normal anyways. Plus I'd have had trouble cutting up this car to this extent. So more power to you. It should be a beauty when it's done.

So I was thinking something like having a single long door on the driver's side only. Leave two doors on the passenger side for easy access to the back seat area. With the B pillar removed from the window area it would still have the hardtop look. Maybe shave the rear door handle and conceal the hinges to smooth out the side panel. But then cutting 3 inches out of the body length will probably scuttle that plan.

Either way, it will be interesting to see this come together.

Texas Webb likes this.
  12. anthony myrick

anthony myrick

yee haa
    cut that thing, bracing is ok but it always gets cut loose to move things around anyway
    make it fit, roll it outside and stand back and soak it in before final welding

I kinda wonder how it would look with the top of the door frame reattatched

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I'm thrilled to have you guys on board ! It's been awhile since I've been here I've been on a Mopar site and posted this up and I didn't even get a thumbs up! I guess this is part of being a car guy doing whatever interest you !
    On a side note i bought myself a new welder for this project my Lincoln weld pac wasn't getting the job done ! So I bought a KIMG0866.JPG
    It does mig,Tig and stick! I'm excited to learn Tig welding!

anthony myrick likes this.
  14. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Here's the motor nothing fancy a chevC 305 I bought for $300 60000 miles , went threw it resealed everything few new this , then I grabbed a 700r4 with about 15000 miles on it for $200 so budget is doing good so far ! KIMG0820_01.JPG

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. 'Mo

'Mo

A small tweak that would make a defining difference would be a dip in the belt line.
    themoose used his talents on this image, incorporating '57 Caddy elements.
    (A bit forward might also look good.)
    You might also source the necessary parts from Tri-5 Chevy four door rear doors.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. 'Mo

'Mo

Chip Foose was working on this '39. (Though not as elegant as the above rendering, IMHO. ;))

[​IMG]

Hnstray, scrap metal 48 and mgtstumpy like this.
  17. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I’ve seen Madam X ,several times from start to finish. And I BELEIVE it’s about as elegant as any thing I have seen. Big difference between rendering and real.

18. anthony myrick

anthony myrick

Angle the side glass forward at the qtr and door glass gap

19. My 2c...
    You´re measurements seemed a little off - the car was about 10" shorter rather than 3", so i made the best copy i could, based on your photos.

This is where you´re heading...
    ebay2477721.jpg
    And this is with a few tweaks....
    ebay2477722.jpg

LBCD, King ford, Hnstray and 9 others like this.
  20. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

James d that's sweet thanks I'm not really measuring I'm kinda winging it till it looks cool the first photo chop wasn't done by me I knew it was a bit short . I like your rendering can you add fender skirts to the top pic and possibly do one with and without the b pillar! I would appreciate it I am not a computer savvy guy!

Keep sending the input guys again this is my first mod so I'm open to input !

James D likes this.
  21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

From an aesthetic point of view, a hardtop will look good, however when you decide to shorten the body you'll need to do the same to the frame as well otherwise I envisage you'll run into more problems. I would build an adjustable dolly mimicking the body frame mounting points and drop the body onto it so it can be shortened up squarely and remain true. Brace the body as best as you can and then jig up the frame and shorten it to match the shorter body.

Not sure how you propose to shorten the lower body however I'd suggest staggering the rocker / floor cuts and or fabricate entirely new rockers. Use OEM overlap joints where possible.

Looking at the roof photos above by James D, I think the top rear roof looks 1940ish Lincoln whilst the lower rear roof looks 1940s Olds 98ish (Larger 'C' body) and a lot more swoopy rather than boxy formal roof OEM.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Cool beans. Before I even got as far as seeing the other photoshops posted by 'Mo and James, I grabbed that image and tried a couple tweaks...added skirts to visually balance the car (leaned the B pillar trim too) and tried a carson-topped version.
    [​IMG]

23. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Anyone in FL ? I need a front split bench seat prefer something age appropriate

24. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

cool looking so far,you are brave to do what you are doing,myself i couldnt do it.If you have any extra parts to sell,you should list them on the cadillac lasalle club forum,a lot of restorers are looking for that stuff,dont throw out anything,you will be suprised at what it is worth,your car looks to be a 60 special,it is quite desirable to a lot of people.I have 2 old caddys they are great cars. Harveyb

25. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I msg the club and offered my extra parts up no response , can't hold everything for ever

26. john walker

john walker

A friend needs rear seat armrests.

27. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Keeping mine sorry interior is going to stay mostly stock appearing. I did find a guy doing a 39 maybe he didn't use his! I'll check

28. john walker

john walker

Need some non sidemount fenders too, for my 40 60s. I made a 3 window coupe out of mine. 3" chop, doors lengthened 5", 41 buick coupe donated rear body section and part of the roof. Found a 41 cad coupe seat, a bit too high, but that's fixable. Mated a 51 cad 331 to the original trans.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  29. john walker

john walker