Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Plymouth Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Dodge Pickup, Jan 29, 2015.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Here's a 37 Plymouth coupe under construction. I like the firewall being recessed from side to side about a third of the way down from the top.

Attached Files:

1947knuck likes this.
  2. Very cool coilover I was thinking about cutting a recess section to clear the distributor but looking at yours with recess I might reconsider That frame is Awesome! Thank you for posting the pics. Have a Great Day! Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  3. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Jim---

Looking good!

lc

4. Thank you!! I still have to figure out the bracing and the final mounting hopefully this weekend I will finalize the layout.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    1947knuck likes this.
  5. Fire wall bracing is installed now the fire wall is rock solid.
    IMG_2275.JPG
    I used two inch angle iron to tie in the top to the bottom of the body sides then I ran two U channels across the opening for the upper and lower studs for the brake booster to bolt into.
    IMG_2281.JPG
    In keeping with my goal of making as many parts as possible for this build the new fire wall is installed and ready for finishing and primmer.

IMG_2278.JPG

1947knuck and 340 Power like this.
  6. OK so as with an project it just keeps getting deeper than what was originally planned I welded in the motor mounts in an earlier post but I just couldn't stop thinking about the strength of the welds because of the difficulty I had in getting into a good position. I didn't want to find out that my welds were not strong enough when I was going down the highway this will also give me an opportunity to thoroughly clean the front end and engine before painting.
    IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

1947knuck likes this.
  7. I really like the tri bar spinner look of the 60's MOPAR hub caps so I decided to make my own version not sure if I am going to go with beauty ring or not after the wheels are painted ,but I do like the hub cap tri bar combination. Jim

IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG

1947knuck and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. The Motor is back in I fabricated new brackets for the motor mounts a little bit of over engineering but it eases my mind, also changed the oil pan gasket motor looks good for a 77 SBC. I also was able to really clean up the cross member and front suspension. Jim
    IMG_2293.JPG

9. Brought my 56 Home from winter storage I'm very excited to have one to drive and one to build feeling really Blessed!! Jim

IMG_20150410_191532 (2).jpg

I just had to include the black and white shot too cool not to IMHO enjoy Jim

IMG_20150410_191532_edit (1).jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  10. That is some nice work my friend and very resourceful!

11. Thank you very much 40 Ford I appreciate your comment Have a Great Day! Jim

12. Its been a long time in between updates I have completed the firewall and installation I have also started sorting out the wiring that was shown in an earlier post thanks for viewing Jim
    IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2310.JPG

13. Coming along nicely

14. Thank you Rocky I appreciate your comments Jim

15. Mudgy

Mudgy

Looking good. What front end cross member is that?

Subscribed.

16. Thank you Mudgy the front clip is from a S-10 pick up it is step welded to the boxed frame just after the firewall. Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  17. Mudgy

Mudgy

18. DaveH_RRTX

DaveH_RRTX

Nice work! Good to see you making progress, gives the rest of us some motivation to get back at it!

19. Hey Mudgy I'm sorry I didn't realize you from down under it is a front clip from a Chevy S 10 pickup I'm not sure if they sold them under that name plate down under but it is a mid sized Chevy pickup

Thanks Dave I should have some updated pics next week stayed tuned Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  20. I started working on some fabrication for my new dash. I found a beat up Model A dash pod in the Old School Round Up at the Syracuse Nationals that I just had to have for five bucks! I really didn't like the flat dash and since that is the part of the car that I will be looking at the most it was time to start cutting.
    Here is a pic of the original dash that I started with
    IMG_2545.JPG

I had to remove the raised sections to get a flat foundation
    IMG_2549.JPG
    Then I welded in the new steel that would be my base
    IMG_2556.JPG

21. Now its onto my new dash and gauge pod using the model A dash as the ends after filling the original gauge holes and cutting it in half
    IMG_2548.JPG
    I laid out the holes for my gauges and welded my new panel to the Model A dash
    IMG_2558.JPG
    Here it is still real rough but you can see where I'm going with this
    IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2562.JPG
    I am thinking about possibly frenching this into the dash or just mounting it the way it sits raised of the dash stay tuned and Thanks for looking Jim

22. Mudgy

Mudgy

Good idea! Can you see all the gauges with the column and wheel thrown back in?
    That glove box is industrial grade!
    Cheers, Mudgy

23. Yes the vision is fine with the column drop I will be adding a spacer to the gauges that will be angled to tilt the gauges towards the driver. Ha Ha yeah that glove box will be getting redone I just haven't started it yet Thank you for your comments . Jim

1947knuck and Mudgy like this.
  24. Mudgy

Mudgy

What are you using for a trunk latch?
    I notice your cars have external hinges.... how far up can you lift the trunk?
    Our Aussie made ones have internal hinges. Which means I'll be on my knees forever, if I want to get something from out of the back of the car.... damn!

25. With the external hinges I can lift the trunk lid all the way open I currently do not have a latch on the truck I believe the previous owner drove it without one relying on the weight of the trunk lid to keep it closed. I will be fabricating a trunk handle and latch stay tuned.

1947knuck likes this.
  26. Mudgy

Mudgy

Sorry to ask all these questions... your steering column - does it have to be swapped for a modern collapsible one?
    Most times down here, that's what's demanded of us. I don't mind doing the swap, I'd prefer not to be speared through the chest if there was an accident.

27. No we are not required to install a modern collapsible steering column although you definitely want to engineer in an angle through the couplings so you are not creating the spear affect. Please feel free to ask any questions I find it really interesting to see the differences in the country s Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  28. 56 Dodge Pickup.....damn brother, you are one handy builder. I like all the homemade stuff. Way to go!

1947knuck likes this.
  29. Wow Thank you! 40 Ford I really appreciate your comment I love doing metal fab work. There will be more to come I've been busy working my regular job. Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  30. I have made some more progress on my custom dash. I made the column drop and the bead rolling ties in with the factory switch panel a nice detail. Then I bolted my new gauge pod to the dash and installed the gauges. I really like the way this is going I will be starting the finish work soon looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Jim

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG