Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1937 Hudson Coupe Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jun 20, 2014.

1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I've been missing for some time due to a busy life filled with too many hobbies... guess it's better to be busy than bored!

With that being said, figured I'd come to show everyone the new purchase from an estate sale. 1937 hudson terraplane coupe. It is original and complete. NO rust. It is dented quite a bit (mostly fenders) but going to make an attempt at fixing it. It is extremely solid. No real plan for it other than get it driving. Don't even know it's worth. Just fell in love with it and were lucky enough to bid! Thoughts on this denty gem?

Attached Files:

2. gatz

gatz

That's a great car for drivin' around.
    Good lines on that coupe....may be just fine in stock/original condition,
    or maybe an engine/xmsn implant for cruisin'
    good find

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  3. I'd make it road worthy and drive.Nice coupe,congrats.

4. Babyearl

Babyearl

Looks great,, would be nice as a surviver,, maybe an update on brakes and powertrain. Nothing hot,, just dependable. Nice score.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

Neat coupe!! And a pretty rare model!

Lots of information on Hudson including info on the H-E-T (Hudson Essex Terraplane) Club here:

forum.hetclub.org

And, they do have a discussion area for modified HET autos!

6. George G

George G

more pics please

7. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

I know a guy who will want the steering box.....

8. Those are Parking lot dings

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Fix the brakes, looks like somebody was using the fenders to stop with.:D
    Looks like a solid car, I love the odd orphans like that. People will always be asking what it is.

farmergal and welded78 like this.
  10. flamed34

flamed34

Nice. We had a '36 years ago. Never got around to building it and sold it when we moved from south of Buffalo to NC. Kicked ourselves ever since....
    Good luck. Looking forward to seeing progress on here

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

That is one cool ride!

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

It runs!

hendelec likes this.
  13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I am having issues uploading additional photos. Will get pictures to share on monday. It looks to have been a Massachussets car it's entire life. It was last registered in 1973 the best we can tell. Bought it from the estate sale of a collector so not sure what the cars entire story is. Looks like it might be taken a ride off the road which caused the damage. Put it on a lift tonight and it is as solid as a rock underneath

14. gatz

gatz

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

As requested;

Here are more photos. Dent repair has already begun.

Attached Files:

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

hudson10.jpg hudson11.jpg

Attached Files:

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

hudson3.jpg hudson4.jpg

Attached Files:

18. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

hudson7.jpg hudson8.jpg

Attached Files:

19. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

The hardest part of this is coming to the realization that we need to sell something if we are going to keep this car. Either the 1950 Plymouth or the Model A Coupe is likely going to have to find a new home. I'm slightly heartbroken :(

20. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hey, put a tape measure on that box in the trunk, that could be the rare "Trundle Bed" option! ;)

Neat car, Kinky6.

21. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thank you, yes it is pretty neat. it slides right out on a track when you pull two levers. It is solid steel so it is quite heavy to pull out of the trunk. I must say the trunk on this thing is pretty damn big in comparison to the 36 ford we had.

If anyone knows where to get parts for it; we need a source. It needs a fuel pump diaphragm before it will run anymore. Also needs taillights. Also might be interested in fenders and a grill if anyone has anything in decent shape (pending price). Will post more photos in the coming days. I took some photos of the underneath while it was on lift

22. bobwop

bobwop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good for you!

I happen to have a 37 Hudson Eight Business Coupe. a big cousin to yours.

it is good to have something a bit odd.

it is good to be something a bit odd.

23. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Truth to that! I actually like the car better than the 36 ford. From the side and rear profile it just looks so good. The grill is really neat too. See a half dozen 40 fords and 36 Ford coupes at every show. Gaurantee there won't be another of these around!

tb33anda3rd and bobwop like this.
  24. choptop40

choptop40

Sweet , keep that one original....even the dents , get her running and driving....best wishes

25. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

@ Farmergal: One of the last Hudson dealers in the country was in Mendon MA. If you want I can probably track down his address, he may know of the car.

26. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Very nice find! I'm envious a 37 Hudson is on my wish list!

27. lahti35

lahti35

Nice '37 Terraplane!

There was alot of redesign for '37, they look alot like '36's but most parts don't fit. The 37's are alot wider, had a bigger engine and a new grill.

These old girls have cork clutches and if yours in not free you may have to dump some lacquer thinner/atf ( let it sit for awhile and then rotate the engine) to get the disk unstuck from the plate. Do a search for "Doug Wildrick" online and you'll find a guy that sells alot of the rubber and clutch parts. There are other parts dealers... best to join up over at the HET online forum. I did when I got my '36 and the folks are great, lots of help.

28. I had identical car to this used to run it around with Plymouth 14 inch chrome reverse wheels on it ,mine I believe ended up in Florida but if I didn't know I would swear this was same car ,when I sold it the fellow who bought it lived in or around Norwich or Oneonta New York great car ,they have a few problems with camshaft tapets noisy and the cork clutch as said before if doesn't work run thinner refill with hudsonite or equivalent lube or it will not work ,ATF is not the same

29. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Good morning! I would love that. There last registration sticker is in the windshield. any ideas if the serial numbers on that could be tracked?

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

We got it running again last night after Gerry rigging the fuel pump. Put some fresh gas in it but it had 45 year old gas in the tank and boy did it smoke out the neighborhood for a good 5 minutes. The nice thing about it is it is very roomy inside and the windshield is so small it actually looks chopped. It has an oil change sticker in the door from a Mobil station in Ayer, Mass. I'm pretty sure that our Model A coupe also spent its life in Ayer, Mass (it had a similar sticker in the door). It's a very solid car the only issue is it's hammered on every corner. Joey likes fixing dents vs rust so that's good.

We want to get it running and driving before it is decided on what to do. There is a one car garage and a car trailer. the Model A is in the garage and the Plymouth is in the car trailer. The Hudson is at the shop until it can move under its own power in a safe manner (but it cant stay there full time). If it is decided to sell the Model A then we could use one of the Nailhead engines in the Hudson to make it a little more reliable and fun for daily driving (but keep the rest of the car original in appearance)

The Plymouth, while it might not be desirable to some, was the first ever car we restored together and it gets attention wherever it goes. It just might be very hard to part with.

The Hudson is a bit rare and not something commonly seen so that aspect is very neat.

I do not think this car ever came from New York. It was part of an estate of a collector in Mass who bought it from (I think) one of the original owners in Mass. It has a very neat license plate key chain for the keys. It is a 1960 mass plate and the last registration sticker for Mass was from the 70s. I am guessing the car ran off the road during that time and then was put away and never touched.

Whoever owned it liked gardening because I found lettuce seeds from 1940 in their original packet behind the seat. :)