Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd M., May 26, 2014.

1. Todd M.

Todd M.

Once the Carson style top is completed and fasten to the roadster body, the only deference to other chopped 1935- 1937 Ford trucks, this one will have a couple of very small lines were the top is removable.

2. Todd M.

Todd M.

Today pulled some dents out of the LH door, cleaned and started body work. Worked on the top, mostly grinding welds and started on the chassis as well.
    [​IMG]

3. Todd M.

Todd M.

I scored a set of 37'-38' wide five wheels and rear end today, after I sell off the hub caps, I will be into all for $50 bucks. I have a set of 40' backing plates that will work.
    Today I worked on finishing up the body work on the LH door ( except the very top). I will prime the door with DP red oxide epoxy, and 285-60 Glasurit 2 k high build primer sealer. The great thing about the 285-60 you can wet sand with 400 grit then 600 grit and be ready for paint. The down side it's about $300. mixable gallon and tuff as nails to sand, but when blocked it will be very strait. Now onto the easy RH door as well as body work to the cab and working the Carson style top.
    [​IMG]

4. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

pic after I sold it .. Lakes pipe disappeared..

Attached Files:

5. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks for the pic. I've decided to go with a later year grill 35-37

6. Todd M.

Todd M.

I got the RH door off yesterday and the door skin is in very good shape, very strait ( just a few little dents) the lower rear edge of the door was split about 10 inches, so I reformed it and welded it up, two little rust spots as well. The truck must have rolled back at some point and time in it's life and snagged the inner door post crunching it back 3". I cut it along the edge of the damage area to relieve stress, straiten the metal out and welded the edge back up, applied a thin layer of rage filler as a skim coat, damage fixed.

[​IMG]
    2nd photo: The black areas an application of Ospho and will sand off before body work.
    [​IMG]
    Carson style top update: I came up with a solution for the dilemma of how to get the glass to work with the top. The upper rear and top door post will be welded to the top with the same door gap as original. The glass will be cut to just come up short to the surrounding door post. I will install a 1/4" weather strip similar to cars with glass that but up against the weather stripping. This will allow the door to be opened and shut with the glass up. The front door post will have 4 style pegs that will recess into 4 notches on the windshield post to easily remove and install to complete the hard top chop/ roadster look. I've' got a little more body work to do to the cab, then more photos of the Carson top being built.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  7. Todd M.

Todd M.

Anyone know where to get a decent '37 truck grill for a fair price?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  8. Todd M.

Todd M.

RH hand door knocked out. I should have it all in primer by the end of next week, fingers crossed.
    [​IMG]

9. Todd M.

Todd M.

Opinions on color combo for the build. Running 16" cream, or black wide five wheels
    1. maroon body, white firewall, 16" whitewall tire
    2. maroon body, maroon firewall, 16" whitewall tire
    3. maroon body, white firewall, 16" Black tire
    4. maroon body, maroon firewall, 16" black tire

10. Todd M.

Todd M.

Hey guys, what do I need to marry 1957 Ford leaf springs to a 1937 Ford banjo rear end? I can make brackets if there is something on the market I could go by, or someone has done this before. Just weighing my options out on using an original single '37 spring or 57 springs that will kill two birds with one stone, lowering and handling.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  11. Todd M.

Todd M.

Cleaning the firewall today
    [​IMG]

12. I've got a set of Posies super slide parallel leaf springs in the classifieds for 35-48 Ford cars and trucks.....and they make a kit that's "universal" that I'll be buying for my truck.

13. Todd M.

Todd M.

Welded up and filled the battery area, filled in all the holes on the firewall and gas filler hole as well. Repaired some pin holes on the RH rocker today. It looks like it will be one more week to get the body in primer.
    Then start the channeling over the rails.
    Are you fellas still interested in this build or am I just posting?

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm still watching.......keep doing what you're doing!

15. I'm still following..HRP

16. Todd M.

Todd M.

As you can see a lot more cleaning and prepping to do.
    [​IMG]

17. I'm still watching too...as I said before I'm liking it more everytime you post! Great work!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. I am still watching and I like it.

19. Todd M.

Todd M.

Still doing body work, then back to more fab work to the top and windshield post.
    Here is a photo of my 1940 to get an idea of how the quality will be on the 1937 build. Since this photo I've added a front bumper and 74cc Edelbrock heads to the 8BA flathead. The grille I was told was ordered with this truck for strength to last on the farm. Who knows? I've only seen the grille on one other '40 I kind of like having a different grill than others.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That grille explains a 'mystery'. The bankrupt Union Paving Company in Santa Clara (CA) had '40 and '41 Ford pickups, all with that heavy mesh grille. All the trucks and machinery was abandoned, inside the high fence.
    We would enter through a hole in the side gate, and inspect the old Mack Bulldogs with their solid rubber tires, and those nice '40 pickups.
    We always thought Union Paving made those heavy grilles!

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I've got to see this thru to the end.................talk about unique. Great work.

22. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks, Unique is a great word to describe this '37.

23. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

I've been gathering parts for a '38 truck/roadster for a few years now, but haven't started the build yet because I'd rather plan everything 20 times than wing it and get wrong. This build went straight into my bookmarks--thanks for figuring out all of the hard stuff so I don't have to.

24. Todd M.

Todd M.

NOPROBLEMO...... my pleasure.

25. Roger53

Roger53

I'M HERE TO KEEP POSTING! Please looks great so far. Roger

26. Todd M.

Todd M.

Just came back from vacation, here is an update on the build. Cleaned the metal and finished up the major body work to the cab. Put two coats of PPG DP red oxide primer and 3 medium coats of 285-60 Glasurit high build primer.
    Now onto finishing up the Truck/roadster windshield post, and more metal fab to the top. Not as far along as I wanted to be, with all my buddy's stopping by the past month to get some repairs done to there rides.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AntiBling likes this.
  27. Todd M.

Todd M.

28. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Coming along swimmingly!

29. You ought to be finished by the end of the week?