Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd M., May 26, 2014.

1. Todd M.

Todd M.

Today I will start metal fabrication on the cab edges and making reinforcement brackets as well. Start rolling some metal to create a reinforced edge around the rear of the cab. I plan on making a knuckle style roll, male for main cab then female for the soon to be roadster 3" chopped top. This will allow the chopped top to sit flush at the seam and keep out water when it rains. I'm sure photos will be needed to get the idea. When the top is completed, when fasten it will look just like a stock top that has been chopped 3". Now for the fun stuff!

2. Todd M.

Todd M.

1937 Ford parts wish list Hot Rod Roadster build. Willing to do some horse trading or cash for parts.
    Running a 1949 Flathead, 49” 3 spd, 1937 chassis, 40’ juice brakes
    NEED:
    • 1935- 1941 banjo rear end complete w/drive shaft FOUND
    • 1936- 1940 font end complete Found
    • 1937 brake drums all 4 NEED FRONT WIDE FIVE, HAVE REAR
    • I-beam 4”drop axle for 1940 suspension set up w/35’-40’ frame Found
    • Bias ply wide white walls tires 8.60/ 15 or so rear and smaller fronts size? Found
    • Bench seat MAKING ONE INSTEAD
    • Bomber seat belts
    • Cool headlight buckets pr. Found
    • Spare tire covers (metal) 2- 4 not sure yet
    • 8ba flathead duel intake Found
    • 1936-1937 grill shell and radiator Found
    • 1940’s-1950’s set of steelies Ford pattern FOUND WIDE FIVE
    • 16” set of 4 trim rings
    • 1937 taillights Found
    • 1935-1937 complete bed Found
    • 1935- 1941 steering column Found
    • 1940 steering wheel and horn Found
    Stainless radiator support rods Found

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. dart165

dart165

Just a thought, but my 2 cents: Putting a deuce shell on it would look like putting a deuce shell on a 34... looks outta place. I know they are quintessential hot rod grills for Model A's but something about putting an earlier grill on a later body has a weird look to me... almost too blunt. I would look at other years/brands to rob a grill/shell from that will compliment the lines of the cab more.

Otherwise, cool stuff, good luck!

4. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks, I would like to find something as you said to complement the lines of the cab.

5. Todd M.

Todd M.

Maybe someone could answer this and a possible link or photo please. I have a 1949 8BA flathead with car motor mount water pumps. Is there a conversion bracket to fit onto a 1935-1940 stock chassis, or do I need to fab something rather than purchase new water pumps with correct mounting?

6. Todd M.

Todd M.

Shaping and forming the rear panel roadster deck. It's coming out real nice, photos coming soon.
    I think a color has been chosen 1946 Ford Dynamic Maroon 50041 PPG lacquer. I'm also leaning towards motorcycle or spare tire housing (continental kit) to form half fenders. Just like the look and with no hood maybe a sling shot duel carb setup sticking up from the flathead would do just the trick. suggestions always appreciated.

7. I'll wait to see the final results before I praise or bash...

8. Todd M.

Todd M.

What would be some good top latches to use to fasten the soon to be 3"chopped hard top? I was thinging of 1955 T-bird latches. Anyone have some sugestions?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  9. Todd M.

Todd M.

Cut the door post off today, now I will fab and roll some metal to reanforce the top of the doors. I will evetualy come up with an idea to attach the top door post to the doors to look correct when fasten. Maybe create a pin to slide through the inside of the doors to lock down the upper door post, when the chop top is on. Working window regulators is the plan when the chopped top is fasten down. I may get into the chopping of the top later this week, and do a mock up to show the split personality chopped hardtop/roadster. Pics will be forthcoming.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. Todd M.

Todd M.

11. I'm liking it so far. Keep up the good work.

12. rust&patina

rust&patina

13. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks guys, having fun building it, isnt that's what it all about.

14. Todd M.

Todd M.

Decided to get into chopping the Carson style top 3" today. Looking at all the contours on the 37' from side, top, and it became clear to me this was the best way to go about cutting.
    [​IMG]
    I have some rust repair to do at the top of the rear window. I'm thinking of going with a 6"- 6 1/2" rear window. Tomorrow I will cut out the front top post area and weld the windshield post. I'm thinking of deleting the drip rail for a cleaner look, not sure yet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  15. Todd M.

Todd M.

here is a pic of the back of the cab. I will do the same to the bottom of the top so it can fit flush with the roadster body.
    [​IMG]

16. willymakeit

willymakeit

I'm following this. Keep at it.

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I like the idea, I'll be following this too

18. Never mind the naysayers here, but if you ask for opinions you'll get plenty.
    I think it will be cool, and the 32 shell can work but ill bet that you will like it better with a hood. The cab is wider and the taper will dictate the shell placement out further to keep the flow. It's all in the details and pulling off something that hasn't been done yet is my favorite part of this traditional hot rodding stuff. Especially when/since what ever you are using has been walked by for 80 years or so.

19. Todd M.

Todd M.

I sure would like to see a pick of a 37' with a hood married to a 32' grill. I bet it would look trick.

20. Todd M.

Todd M.

Here is a pick of the top RH door before smoothing the welds. I will start cutting the front of the top today for the windsheild post. Need to come up with an idea for the windsheild frame to still work with the hinges. I'm sure the hing will need to be shorten to get the look I'm after.
    [​IMG]

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If we all built the same thing it would be a very boring hobby........and it IS a hobby. :)

When I was a teen there was a local guy who built a fenderless hot rod out of a Jeep pickup with the roof cut off to make a roadster pickup. It actually looked pretty good and he had a cool little roadster.

Good luck with your build.

Don

Quintin likes this.
  22. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Strictly my opinion. Not trying to sway anybody here...
    Purists suck. Just because you haven't seen a yellowed pic of it don't mean it never was. Back in the day guys worked with whatever they could in their quests to go faster and/or customize.

Quintin likes this.
  23. AntiBling

AntiBling

You're doing something I've thought about doing for awhile now. Looks like a good start.

sko_ford likes this.
  24. I will certainly be following.

It certainly doesn't seem off the mark so far.

25. Todd M.

Todd M.

Here is a pick of the lower Carson style top. Still need to cut out at the tape line.
    [​IMG]

Next we have the inner support that I will be able to use as part of the bottom of the roadster top.
    [​IMG]

Still linning up very well.
    [​IMG]

It would be nice to have measurments for the top edge of the windshield post of a 1937 roadster to go by.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  26. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

What about using 1937 Ford Car Grill and fenders? I have seen one truck with car fenders and grill on it and it looked great.

27. Todd M.

Todd M.

It would look great, just not the look I'm going for on this one. Thanks for your idea.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

My concern would be, how to brace it so that the door jamb area doesn't spread when you shut the door.

29. fortynut

fortynut

Your honor. My first thought was 'if he's going to take off the top, why is he keeping the cramped quarters of a pickup when he can make it a little longer and stretch his legs', and then I realized that as radical as we think our stuff is, it's still inside the box God gave us to live in. No one escapes thinking inside the box because we're conditioned to be that way. A roadster pickup has already been done by Henry Ford, who certainly made them perfect. And, trying to do Henry one better is impossible, if only because you can't think like a man who took a clock apart as a child and put it back together so it ran. Your clock is still not ticking, nor would mine or anyone else who tries, unless they're bonafide clock nuts, or clock makers. And Bomber seats were made so you sat on your parachute, in most cases. A Bomber bench seat implies bombers sitting on a bench. I think just a bench seat would sound better. The image of three bombers side by side is unsettling. A lot of what you're doing is unsettling, unless you prove beyond a reasonable doubt you're not guilty of rodent thinking, which is implied with some of your choices. Your witness. Carl

ChefMike likes this.
  30. Todd M.

Todd M.

I will make a support bracket from the inner rocker up 3-4" at the rear door post for stregth, and weld the upper back panel to the back of the doorpost with a couple of brackets.