Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Ford Pickup Grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davey_shumard, Apr 6, 2012.

1. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

Does anyone know of a grill that can replace this one on a fenderless truck? I am planning on running an original 1937 truck hood, but cant find a grill anywhere. Just wondering if there were any other options out there for a swap that carried the same contour for the hood....

As always, any and all help is appreciated!!!!!

davey_shumard

2. Davey
    look one year in either direction. I am pretty sure for example that '35 and '36 are the same and I think that '37 and '38 would be the same or real close.

Any and all of them is going to be a little hard to come by, there is no repairing the one you have or you don't have one at all?

OK just did a quick search '37-39 had the same basic grill shell. '35 isn't going to work without some reshaping.

OK looked again maybe I'm wronng maybe '36 will work better

here are some links to the prospective years.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp....,cf.osb&fp=4511e698c622b6ec&biw=1024&bih=547

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...OrOr2AXY4tyPBw&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAg&dur=1937

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp....,cf.osb&fp=a3ac54793b7d7fdf&biw=1024&bih=547

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp....,cf.osb&fp=4511e698c622b6ec&biw=1024&bih=547

I think any of them can be made to work with a little help.

Edit:

I think I have offered to help you before, if you have anything to work with I would still be glad to help you can ship it here or get a relay or come for a weekend. if you come for a weekend better send me some pics so I can figure out what have need and havbe it here.

I guess I could jump a bus and come yourway as well. gas is really high these days but the greyhound is still within reason.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

I actually dont have a grill at the moment. the reason i asked is that i wanted to know, during my search, what years are an option. i have a complete sheet metal set for a 39 ford pickup...I suppose i could see if that would fit, they just look quite a bit different, so i didn't think they would fit.

thanks again p'n'b!!! you are the man! I will let you know if they will line up.

davey

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Beaner, on what planet are these two grills the same??? The '37 grill looks much better than the old barrel nose on a 38 or 39.

38-39 Ford
    [​IMG]

37 Ford

[​IMG]

5. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

I was going to say, no dice on the match up of the 39 grill. does anyone know of an aftermarket repop grill?!?!?!

6. The 35/36 will fit the fenders and hood ,but the side panels are different on the cab side.

7. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

8. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

so a 35 36 grill would work? are they easier to find than a 37? because as far as i can tell, the 37 grill is like finding a needle in a haystack!!!:eek:

and you are saying that my side panels wont work with that particular grill?

9. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Decent '36 truck grills are still relatively easy to find if you look around.

10. I actually said to look one year in either direction then sent him link to pics to compair. I also backed up and regrouped saying that the '36 would probably come closer after looking at the pics. Historically Ford weas in the babit of grouping designs for two or 3 years with the year change being similar, especially during the depression era. Normally if you look on year in either direction of what you own you can find something that will work with little or no modification.

Not that any of that matters in the whole scheme of things. Just thought that maybe it would be prudent to read an entire post before making any judgment.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Adam, you might investigate using a '37, '38 or ,39 Standard passenger car clip. I've seen it done a few times and, in my opinion, they look pretty good. There are some mods needed where the hood beltline meets the cab beltline but it doesn't appear to be very difficult. Passenger stuff seems in greater supply.

Ray

Wurger likes this.
  12. 23Rustrod

23Rustrod
    from Oregon

Don't give up, keep looking. I just scored this 37 grille on e-bay.. they are out there! My buddy has an extra hanging on his wall, but won't part with it yet.

Attached Files:

13. JWW

JWW
    from Wisconsin

I had a 37 some years back. when cleaning out the barn last fall I found a radiator with the shroud and upper hoses with therostat housings.
    its all in pretty good condition/
    any chance you or someone following this thread wold be interested?

Jim

14. FWIW, grilles are the same for pickups and big trucks, so if you can find one from a '35-'36-'37 big truck, it will work. '37 was a one-year cab (split windshield instead of flat like '35-'36), but doors and back part of cab are same as '35-'36, and the cowl area where it meets the hood is the same, so '35 and '36 front sheet metal will fit a '37.

15. WAYNE SMITH

WAYNE SMITH

37 grill is all by itself, 35 and 36 are similar except for thickness. 38 and 39 are the same. As mentioned by other members the cabs are 35-36 w/ flat windshields and 37-39 w/ vee windshields. 35-37 have flat fenders and 38-39 have rounded fenders. I have a 35 pickup w/37 grille but I have no fenders. Does this all make any sense?

16. '38 and '39 grilles will interchange, as the surrounding sheet metal is the same, but they are not the same.