Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford Cabriolet Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 2tall2beahotrodder, Jul 20, 2014.

1. This winter I was able to score a 37 ford Cabriolet in the hills of Virginia. It took over a month of scheduling problems and a 8 hour drive but sure enough there she was. Laying in a creek for the last 50 years, the weather took a toll.
    I was able to pick it up super cheap and to be honest I didn't know if I was going to build it for quite some time. Luckily I had help from the wanted adds and picked up some clean parts to start with.

Here are a few pictures of the trip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I drove to Maryland and picked up a very clean 40 ford rolling chassis. The original frame was in rough shape. This frame was a gasser back in the day, but isn't too hacked up.
    First mock up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just got the tin back from the blaster. Heres whats really left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What im shooting for.

[​IMG]

Ive bought the tail pan to start the puzzle piece of the back section.
    Sincerely thinking about a minor section too.. Still debating...

Long way to go, but have to start somewhere...
    Steve

Squablow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. williebill

williebill

Rare car, and a really good looking one, too. Looks like you're making major progress. Keep posting, please.

3. Steve: Dude....you have your work cut out for you. I'm sure you can do it. Have you thought about a coupe rear clip and grafting the cabrio top opening to it? Just a thought. Your this far into it sectioning takes on a whole new look. Be awesome if you get the proportions right. Mine is sectioned 5" at the beltline, shortened 5" in the quarters and the winsdhield is chopped 5" I'd say go for it!! Tim (I'll include a pic of what I started with)

4. the pic

Attached Files:

5. Hey Tim,
    Yes ive been on the hunt since the winter to find a good fairly priced back half. Its hard.
    I wouldn't call myself a metalshaper but im not scared to try to build a trunk lid or the panel below it.

Im stuck right now on a section job. If I were to do this, It should happen now before I start to tackle the back section. If I were to section it, I wouldn't go more than 3 inches. The main reason is the ass of this car is tall and ugly compaired to the other years. 2 inches would bring the rear fenders up and give it more of a sleak look when its lowered.
    Im not exactly sure if I should make the cuts in the center of the car at the widest part or take it out from the bottom.
    Anyone take a couple inches out from these years?

6. Looking forward to progress. I'm in two minds about the section. For an early, early custom look I'd be inclined to say no. It is one of those domino decisions.

7. Steve: Take some pics of the car from the side and print them on 8x10 paper or larger. Cut it up (to scale) in various ways to you get an idea of what is best for you. I've done it for chopping tops. it will give you a pretty real pic of what happens when you slice it up. Have fun and keep us posted. Tim

8. butch27

butch27

WOW- Great save.It's going to be nice. What is that little car next to it??

9. This is going to be awesome! I love you're inspiration. I want to build an early style kustom so bad.

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great project!

11. Thanks tim, I already did a photoshop version and I like the backend lowered. But it is a domino effect..

Little car was my latest build. 70s' inspired altered. Waiting on the painter.. Might be too radical for the hamb but so be it. [​IMG]

12. Maineac 1

Maineac 1

You are doing great ! I will send a couple pictures of the back of mine which hopefully will give you a better idea of what it needs to look like .I think sectioning one of these is tricky due to the lines but you do what makes you happy and if you have the confidence to pull it off, go for it !!

13. Look's like you're off to a good start. I look forward to seeing where this goes!

14. 35cab

35cab

Looks great, I like your pans for it, looking forward to seeing this progress.

15. Bart78

Bart78

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406499916.142364.jpg wish I would have picked this up. Sat at the place forever. Then gone one day.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Wow you have a lot of work ahead of you but I really am looking forward to this one progressing. Your end goal is very cool!

17. Eric H

Eric H

It has come a very long way already. The look you are shooting for is right up my alley.

18. Day Late a dollar short!
    Started the section last week. Still working on the doors. Ill have Progress pictures this week

19. tinmann

tinmann

I must confess, I'm not feeling the "section" idea with an oober rare '37 cabrio, but I've been wrong before. Must be time for update pictures. Waiting patiently................... tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap........

20. Hey guys, its been about 10 days since I posted anything. Thanks for your comments, hope to continue with decent pictures and progress.

Took a few days to lay out the section. I lost a little sleep the night before the cuts, but when was the last 40's style full custom that was built? To hell with it, its rough enough to warrant cutting a rare car in half.
    Tried to find decent pictures on someone sectioning a 30s car, which I came up with nothing. So I hope this can be a reference for someone else. This is how I did it.

I measured 1/4 inch above the wheel well and made multiple marks. From there another 2 inches for the cut. I Zed the cut to not affect the door latch or striker. The Cut was 5 3/8 inches below the belt line.
    I blued everything and scribed it to get a close cut and so you guys can see it better in pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cowl was also 5 3/8 below the belt line but I am unsure on the hood curve. It was easier to slice down and get the only 2 inches that were semi-flat on the cowl.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I didn't get a shot of the fire wall. I cut above the reinforcements that bolts the frame. 2 inches and you can keep the battery box. I lost the x beads but the firewall was toast anyway...

Now for the doors. I suppose its common to take the inches out of the jams, peal the skin and bend it back. I got these doors in Deleware from Gary (40fords) Someone tried to install hidden hinges and cover up their mistakes with a ton of bondo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the edge was rolled I cut what was needed for the cross reinforcement.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow Ill get a fresh start with bolting the nose back together and Trim the grill.
    [​IMG]

catdad49, Squablow and Pinstriper40 like this.
  21. Bart78

Bart78

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406861496.515410.jpg here's a 40 that's pretty cool

22. Bart78

Bart78

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406861661.240269.jpg this one looks sectioned to.

catdad49, Squablow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Awesome! In my opinion there aren't enough sectioned 40's style customs nowadays... I'm glad someone has the guts

24. Bart78

Bart78

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406866146.544725.jpg if I had the know how. I would like to chop and section this. I have a couple of 37 sedans to rob parts off of. To make it a 37 and not the 38 standard.

catdad49 likes this.
  25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

This is an interesting project,i will be watching this one.Keep it up!

Eric H likes this.
  26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you should have a car at all, you clearly should not be left near real old steel if the only thing you want to do when left with a great car to yourself is convert a 38 standard into a fucking.........ewww......I don't even want to type it........a.......a........ewww.......37!
    For GODS sake someone stop this loony!!

Doc.

27. Bart78

Bart78

I will do what ever I want to the car. And you think that's a great car? Finding 38 standard parts is not that easy. Because they are so ugly. They were used up for race cars.this is how great of a car it is. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406889410.062305.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jesus! Someone find him a sense of humour too! My 38 Standard coupe Hot Rod is DAMN ugly and you want rare parts? Try finding some 38 parts in Australia!

Doc.

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Doc,
    A winking smilie at the end of your first post would have helped avoid the misunderstanding. :)

catdad49 likes this.
  30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, just being on the HAMB should do that!!

Doc.
    (And the fact that I'm an absolute bastard!)

Pinstriper40 and Peanut 1959 like this.