Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Dodge pickup hood problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, May 5, 2018.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

20180210_105008.jpg 20180210_105049.jpg 20180228_163800.jpg 20170812_185427.jpg Working on getting my 37 on the road for the year, and fighting with the hood again and still from last year. When I put it on the truck I can open it from the passenger side with no problem, but if I open it from the drivers side it slides over then don't shut without picking it up and centering it. I am sure I am missing parts, so if anyone can point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it and I will follow up with the solution.

2. KJSR

KJSR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Shouldn't the brackets look the same on each side?? Seems like the drivers side is broken.......

3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

KJSR, I thought the same, so one is original, and one I made, it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm not sure if I am supposed to have one on each end or how it goes. If anyone has a picture of how it is supposed to look please post it.
    Tony

4. KJSR

KJSR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Swap the originals from side to side?? I hate the two piece hoods but damn they look cool. I will look at my 37 P4 and see what they look like. I'm sure they were about the same.

5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Carefully inspect the hood hinge at the exact point it engages the brackets. Those points are high wear areas and could be warn to the extent that there is disengagement between the hood and bracket one or both when the hood is in a certain position.
    I have a 37 in my shop now.
    Made a crank hole cover for the grill.

6. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have one, but sure looks like both sides of the bracket should have "the curl". Can you show the hinge of the hood?

7. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

I only have one original hood piece and not sure if i should have 2 of them or if they are different.

Got the grill and crank cover for a steel about a month ago couldnt believe it. Down side is it was a 20 hour round trip drive. 20180505_095121.jpg 20180505_095017.jpg 20180505_095026.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

One curl on each bracket is correct. They must both face the same side of the truck. The shop made curl may need to be opened up a bit to match the factory curl. One side only of the hood panels engages the curl. Carefully study the hood halves at the end of the hinge and you will see how it functions. Every detail has to be just right. The hinge is entirely sheet metal and can easily be damaged.

9. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thing there are more knowledgeable people than me! Hope you get it sorted, cool truck.

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The hood pic is the radiator end. You should be able to fab a lower horizontal piece for the grill. Good score on the cover for sure. 102_2670.JPG new crank hole cover.JPG

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

Thanks for the replies, Does anyone have a place or have the angled pieces laying around. Are the parts the same for ford and chevy hoods. I wont be working on this for a week or two, just trying to get everything set up for when I'm ready.
    Tony

12. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I'm virtually certain Ford and GM hoods/parts won't work.
    It is delicate work but it's all just sheet metal. Try to repair it.