Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1937 Dodge, Ol Bessie Is Coming Home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sharps40, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharps40

Sharps40

Running boards, at least this one, appear to be in miraculous condition. We'll have to check the other but it looks like these will get light repairs and reinstalled.

[​IMG]

Out front the nose and fenders being worked. The fenders will need final shaping to blend out accident damage where it mates to the grill shell and then dipped or blasted to get them ready for paint.

[​IMG]

Replacement drivers fender is mated/matched. Original Passenger fender is nearly completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sharps40

Sharps40

This is the underside of the gull wing/alligator nosed hood.

Fortunately, all straight and I have a complete spare for this one too if ever needed, including all the trim and the elusive RAM hood ornament!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Bits and Bites" all stowed here for sorting and repair and reinstallation later....

[​IMG]

And here in the corner of the shop, (looking at it from the inside view) an entire spare cowl and firewall with lower windshield posts. Most important here is that we kept this whole with the front body mounts and door pillars/hinge points intact if we ever need it....

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad, with Ol Bessy. Smiling and telling me about how Mom got her drivers test and license when she was 16 years old in this car! Pillows under her bottom and back and a wood block on each of the gas, clutch and brake pedals!

[​IMG]

And me, thinkin hard and kickin myself for ever letting this one go. Thank Heaven for Dad's!

[​IMG]

4. Sharps40

Sharps40

A little induction art.

I just need to finish up the air cleaners to complete it.

Needed some aluminum welding and cast iron brazing to put them back into service shape. Not undoable but gave it a lot of thought. It was Dads first hot rod induction. The old 217.8" Flat 6 D5 engine, .030 over, .060 off the head, Dual Carbs, Edmonds Intake and Split Manifold Dual Exhaust and a skilled up hill driver.

First car he regularly broke 100 MPH in. (First car I broke 100 mph in too!) Doesn't sound like much but Dad typically did it up hill and down hill (naturally, easier) on South Mountain Maryland and around Camp Sinoquipe BSA in the same mountains but on the Pennsylvania side of the Mason Dixon Line.

At the time, Dad worked at Camp Sinoquipe and drove their daily, he new the mountain roads with his eyes closed. Many is the bet he won driving Ol Bessy against Straight 8 and V8 motors (late 50s and early 60s) on those mountains. The bet was always first over the top wins. Ol Bessy, with her Twin Ball and Ball carbs pulled and pulled and pulled in third gear, eventually pulling in front of the 8s on the long steep grade stretches where Dad knew he could pass and stay in front over the top.

A plaque is on the way. It will be engraved as follows, with the fourth line being his full name:

100 MPH! 1937 Dodge
    Sinoquipe, South Mountain
    Together We Ate The 8's!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  5. great story. why not ad disk brakes to the factory front suspension and leave the six in it. that is after all part of your family history and the cars history at this point.

BoilermakerDave and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad always wanted it to be an 8. We both want to drive it all over America. Late model suspension and powerpack are the only sensible thing to do. 78 is too old to be on the road and expect repairs. Newer gets us in and out of any garage and all parts over the counter, not 7 days away by rush order.

B Bay Barn likes this.
  7. Mudgy

Mudgy

Hi Sharps,
    Your Dad is a legend for finding and keeping the car.
    Subscribed.

8. Sharps40

Sharps40

Him and the hot rod shop owner.....keepin a secret for 23 years...

Ol Bessy is going to have insurance with a genersl driving clause. We got a lot of time to make up.

9. GREAT STORY! Bruce.

10. Sharps40

Sharps40

Induction art is completed. Got a plaque made and found Mr Gasket air cleaners just like it used to have on it.

Done just in time. Dad will be here this afternoon to hunt deer and he doesn't know his first speed parts have been turned into a display.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. Sharps40

Sharps40

Time for an update. One month later, just got a text from Dad as follows:

"Checked on Dodge Friday. Fenders, hood, rear roll panel all hung. Looks good. I will get photos tomorrow....."

So, naturally I immediatly followed up with an email to the Shop today....

"Mr. Walker,

Howdy from soggy wet NC. Just got a text from Dad. I understand he'll be down to photo the old Gal now that the body is coming together. Looking forward to the photos. First trip in the Dodge will be to South Mountain, MD and Camp Sinoquipe BSA to revisit where Dad first broke 100 mph in that
    car when he worked at the Scout Camp in the late 50s, early 60s.

Assuming your crew is getting close to the next move and that that move is suspension, I've been thinking over your recommendations and concur with what I remember of our discussion at the end of August.

- Heidts Mustang front suspension with power rack, power disc front and sprung for a GM V8 with Auto Overdrive.

- Semi Elliptic rear suspension with a differential geared for an Auto Overdrive, disc or drum rear is fine. (Note, rear springs/shackles/bushings were NOS/1000 miles of use 23 years ago. They ride great, I'd be happy to grease and retain or replace, as you see fit. If the front is lowered
    significantly by the Mustang II, perhaps a set of lowering blocks can even up the rear for a slight forward rake??)

- Body mounts as we discussed/as needed.

- Standing by here with Visa Card and/or check as needed on your end.

- Special thanks to the build team for their work so far, I'm excited to see the photos and am sure I'll be happy with their work!

V.R."

So, now all I need is some new photographs!

12. Mudgy

Mudgy

Going well... looking forward to seeing the progress.
    I know I said it before, but your dear ol' Dad is a legend mate. Give him an "Attaboy" for me!

13. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This is a cool story! I miss my 38 coupe.

14. Sharps40

Sharps40

Sure will. Goin up to visit soon. Might have to take photos myself. He's been a bit under the weather but the cardio docs seem to have it in hand. Meantime, I keeps tappin my toes and sippin beers and waitin till its time to take Ol Bessy on her first ride as a hot rod. Already decided, Dad's bustin her cherry, its always been his car and he's gonna be the one to turn the key and mash the go pedal first!

15. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cool story, i had a 38 plymouth,that i bought for $40.00 when i was 15, help my dad rebuild brakes ,and stuff, stated it every day ,b4 school, then one day it wouldnt start, think my dad had it hauled away..

good luck..

16. Sharps40

Sharps40

Visiting with Dad and Mom. A trip to the shop.....body work nearly finished and we finalized the suspension iders......Heidts power rack front, GM disc/drum/hubs front to back. Selecting a 5.3/Auto OD from a truck/suburban for the powertrain, computer, pulleys, harness, ports, AC, PS, etc. and measuring now, a 20K mile Pontiac LeMans rear end for fitment out back. Body is nearing completion and in a week or two ready to go to prime and then we can start cutting off all the items under the fame more than 2 weeks old for transplant.

For now.....a run around the body to see where we are at. The craftsmen are excited....no straight lines on this one.....all compound curves and graceful swoops.....a real chore to fit and finish!

23 years since I've seen fenders on it.

[​IMG]

Deck lid and roll pan and trunk fitted and 95% finished....

[​IMG]

Dad with his car, a few days post heart surgery......both lookin great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the DS rear quarter....the most destroyed in the accident as the truck overroad the front fender and drove down the DS running board into this section.....dozens of creases and dents, pulled out, hammered and straightened.....along with the NC Doors and NC Fenders and NC Door Post acquired in the purchase of a clean dry Raleigh 4 Door 23 years ago, has the left side looking great.

[​IMG]

DS Firewall and cowl completed. All old factory holes welded shut for a clean look and the 2" of wrinkles at 3 oclock were beaten straight and flat!

[​IMG]

A tremendous amount of hand straightening with hammer and dolly to bring the original PS front fender and nose back into alignment with each other.

[​IMG]

Wicked mean looking out front....long, pointed and wide.

[​IMG]

Trunk and roll pan nearly done. Mostly hand work. Solid as a concrete floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. Sharps40

Sharps40

Fender and trunk lines/gaps are good at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ol Bessy is a Beast of a Big Car!

[​IMG]

Dad is not a bit unhappy to see her nearly ready for prime and suspension/drive line....

[​IMG]

Neither am I!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more adjustments to make on the upper cowl to grill supports and the lines will be perfect here too...

[​IMG]

18. Sharps40

Sharps40

One more fender to fit. NC Born and Raised fender for the DS of this MD born and raised car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New NC frond and rear doors and center door post for the DS side that was crushed, post welded in and the doors hung and they open and close perfect.

[​IMG]

And here on this side, all original MD!

[​IMG]

Soon, very soon, the all new NC Drivers side will be completed and looking grand with the original MD Passenger side!!

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good.Don`t you JUST love surprises?:rolleyes:
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Sharps40

Sharps40

Best suprise I ever got!!!!!!

21. Sharps40

Sharps40

This old gal never had more than 80 odd horses. She'll be 320 soon!

22. Sharps40

Sharps40

Got up this morning and bypassed the leaking heater core in Dads 47 Chevy truck. Charger next and we'll see if the old 305 will fire. Naturally, if it does I gotta take Dad for a spin and leak check. Been about a year since he ran it. Wish us luck, spark and fresh gas!

23. Sharps40

Sharps40

The old heater core on the 47 popped....drained mosta the motors coolant on the floor in the cab.....so, for now and to get it to the shop for heater, oil/filter, state inspection....and to see if we can get a ride today or tomorrow.......maybe after the RedSkins play today.....

Looping the water pump to the intake for now and capping off the heater core so no more sauce drains down the inside of the fender well and firewall.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of old hose over the clamps on the heater core stub out to keep them from marring up the paint under the hood for now.

[​IMG]

She's on the charger now. Cranked slow but just not enough to pump gas up to the carb and work the plugs....so, waitin for some stronger fire from the battery.

Got most of the stuff outta the way, if she fires, she's goin for a ride,,,,,,after we air up the tires!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  24. Cool.............good to see the 37 Dodge coming together....I came home from the hospital in '48 in my grandparent's 37 dodge..

25. Sharps40

Sharps40

That is cool!

26. Sharps40

Sharps40

Got it fired. And, enough brake for a ride.....rear is drums and I bet they need pulled up. We'll see....but for now....after charging and priming twice, (been run once in 2 years!) it smoothed out and the trans even pumped up and started moving oil back up to the torque convertor!!!!!! Runs great!

Just finishing up putting air in the tires while it idles along at 165 degrees and with the slightest cam induced vibration.....

[​IMG]

Somebody's been putting stuff in the bed again......hmmm, wonder who that coulda been?....Dad?

[​IMG]

I still ain't got no long pants but its almost warm enough for shorts in Northern Virginia today!

[​IMG]

Mom came out to drive to town in her car for groceries.....we sneeked out in the truck while she was gone!

[​IMG]

The view from the Drivers seat.....

[​IMG]

We was having fun, getting some gears, found all three in that good old TCI StreetFighter TH350 right quick too!

[​IMG]

Back home, resting comfortable till next drive. Oh yeah, no leaks!!!

[​IMG]

27. Ghost28

Ghost28

Interesting build. One of my first builds was a 1937 dodge D5 4 door sedan. By the time I got it finished I had chopped it 5 inches and everything was shaved clean. Even with the little windshield, 6 people could ride in it easily.

28. Sharps40

Sharps40

There is one body bigger that year. Ive only seen photos of one for sale. The 7 passenger limo. 4 doors and 2 jump seats.

29. Sharps40

Sharps40

Gettin Dads 47 Chevy truck back up for some driving now hes feelin better...cant do much in a single weekend visit but....

Pulled the rear wheels today. One weepy cylinder and shoes too far from the trucks drums. Put it back as is....Dad wanted it to the shop for inspection anyway and it needed a heater core, so......fired it up.

No gears. Nothing. Checked linkage, perfect.

Looked at the inspection sticker.....expired 9/2013.......Dad recalled som red oil on the floor. Old trucks been sittin still way too long.

Hmmm....pulled the dipstick....nothin.....

4 quarts of dex/merc later we are rollin hot to the shop with a punch list for Eddy including new tires.

We'll have back on the road soon and ready to cruise side be side with Ol Bessy in no time!!!

30. Sharps40

Sharps40

Been looking at paint colors on a lot of vehicles. I decided the Ford Deep Impact Blue was going to be too dark, too much for such a big car. Found a color blue that is close to what has been on the car for years. Charger B5 Blue Pearl. Also used on Challenger, Trucks and known as Surf Blue on the Jeep Wranglers and JK's.

[​IMG]

Left front fender is on and Dad chose the fender welting. We don't have the Drivers side running board or mounting brackets as they were destroyed in the accident and the Raleigh Parts car boards were totally rusted. So, will have to buy new made ones, fortunately, they are being manufactured in steel and from reviews, it appears the fit is good.

Last bit of body work is being done on the smashed left rear quarter. Smoothing and shaping mostly.

Dad is heading down to the shop soon to help go through the parts pile and sort out the stainless trim making up a box for left side and one for right side. Christmas I'll go to visit and bring down the grill and other large parts that are spares from the parts car and currently stored at Dads house.

Progress. With luck, by the time I get there at Christmas I hope to see some suspension and perhaps a driveline going into place!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.