Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1937 Dodge, Ol Bessie Is Coming Home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sharps40, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welcome back Sharps 40 ! Treasure your time with your Dad I hope this car comes together quickly for the both of you. I am hopping to have my 37 Plymouth ready for primer by spring check out my build thread below Hobo Jim

2. Sharps40

Sharps40

Researching and made some calls. the johnnie law suspension was rejected for being mostly off shore. Contacted Fatman down the road here in Mint Hill, they have a direct weld in Mustang II kit for the 37 38 dodge/Plymouth/Desoto that accommodates the narrow and humped front frame rails. its not a universal, so no cutting or reshaping the cross member or hats will be required....just position it, weld it and then hang the suspension and sheet metal.;;;. I shoulda called there first. In addition, I don't have to suffer with low and lower spindles do to installing an MII Suspension. They have 2" raised spindles that will set my front end just about one inch lower than it sat on the factory semielliptic front springs. Good deal since I'm using a gm rear on the factory style rear springs and don't want a strong rake or even a frame dragging fad look. Slight forward rake and factory ride height will be perfect. Left a message with the builder to call me and lets continue our discussion on the final costs, pick up date and get the fatman suspension on the way. Wish me luck.

B Bay Barn likes this.
  3. Sounds like a good decision stay away from the Hoffman group at all cost! I have heard good things about Fatman and I believe they are made in the USA. Good luck and keep us posted. Hobo Jim

4. Sharps40

Sharps40

We will see. Called thur and Fri to the shop that has the car....no one will talk to me or return calls. Chatted with Dad tonight. He's going over next week. We will see.

5. Sharps40

Sharps40

Ol Bessy the 1937 Dodge has a modern independent suspension with power steering and power disc brakes....FatMan installed!!!!

Blue One and abe lugo like this.
  6. Sharps40

Sharps40

Damn. Felt good to type that.

Blue One likes this.
  7. That’s Great Congrats that’s a really good choice I am sure you will be happy with this product! Hobo Jim

8. Sharps40

Sharps40

Wheels and tires on all 4 corners and estimates and timeLine being worked up. Soon we should know if we can go forward......e.g. If Dad can afford his half!!!!

9. Sharps40

Sharps40

Not the best video but Dad did good with his cell phone.

Now.....Dad doesn't know what the spark block or the fuel injection box is.....neither do I.....suppose I'll call the shop and find out what the jist of his conversation really was. In the meantime we confirmed LS3 is in the house (if Dad got the numbers right, I don't think he did cause that's too big.) along with the 4l60E. Also confirmed the use of FatMan 2" raised spindles for a ride height very close to original 1937 Dodge specs.....it'll allow for the use of 600x16 Wide Whites on Chrome Steelies with Baby Moons per my and Dads theme for the car.......a look commensurate with what an 18 year old on a tight budget might do in 1957......wheels, paint and motor.....i.e. it won't look like a hot rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUZU...ature=youtu.be

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  10. Sharps40

Sharps40

Ok....just off the phone with the shop. We are on the floor and working.

Notes: Fatman kit is good. But, its not a direct fit as you might think given its advertised to fit the humped front rails of the 37/38 Dodge/Plymouth/Desoto frames. Seems it does require some hand trimming and fitting to mate up to the underside of the hump. Assessment is its a good kit, probably the only one really available for these models and the customer service has been quite fine during the trimming, welding and build up.

Its not an LS3. Dad was confused. 5.3L vortec truck motor.

Spark blocks and fuel injection boxes are actually the wiring harnesses......so, that bit of confusion resolved.

Confirmed plans now in the log book include 2015 HellCat B5 pearl blue, AC, woodgrain dash and interior trim, Walker or Brass Works radiator, 2" raised spindles, 12 bolt rear with 308 gear, power brakes under floor, battery in factory floor hole under drivers seat, Lokar shifter and ebrake on the floor, tilt wheel, ford banjo steering wheel, 15" chrome steelies with baby moons running a 235 series wide white tire tucked nicely in the fender wells, power rack steering, coil and shock front suspension, factory semielliptic rear suspension, quiet mufflers on true dual exhaust, all new glass and rubber, all new wiring harness, and the list go's on.....but now to finish up the front suspension and get the motor/trans set.

11. Hey Sharps 40 be careful posting the modern drive train on the HAMB I would hate to see your thread deleted. I want to see how this comes out , just some friendly advice. Hobo Jim

12. Sharps40

Sharps40

Well if they delete it. I guess it's a loss but not for me. I'll be happy with the car even if the board fires me.

13. Sharps40

Sharps40

It's looking like Dad and I have some initial plans for Old Bessy. If she's ready in time 2019 we'll ride to Devils Tower. Last we had her there was about 1969. Then if we can in 2020 off to Utah and try to run it in the annual trials on the Salt Flats. We'd be wanting to get Dad his 100+ MPH license.

14. Sharps40

Sharps40

Lets see.....64 years after he buys the car, he gets it on the salt.

The car would be 83 years old.

Dad would be getting his first license at 81 year old.

Perfect.

Lets not tell the insurance company just yet.

15. Hey Sharps40 any fall updates? Hobo Jim

B Bay Barn likes this.
  16. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad just advised last week. Fatman suspension is on and finalized (evidently the direct fit mopar kit is about as much cut and try work as your average universal kit due to the humped front frame arms). Engine mounts, trans mount, floor tunnel modified for the 4l60E trans and firewall mods (removed, cut out space for engine and boxed/reinstalled) are all completed. 2" higher spindles for factory original like ride height installed. Brakes, etc are in place but not yet plumbed. Engine required frame and cross member mods (notching and plates welded back in) as neither is a good clearance for the 5.3L motor. 12 bolt Pontiac rear is final fit. First coat of B5 Pearl Blue is on the firewall and cowl and all the bolt on parts (fenders, running boards, hood, etc). Going back over to the maintenance shop to set the driveline for the final time this week and then start the wiring and plumbing to fire the motor for the first time.

17. Sharps40

Sharps40

Believe it or not, he forgot to take photos!

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Keep in mind this is a traditional hot rod and custom forum. Modern EFI LS engines and Mustang 2 Ifs suspensions are strictly off topic here

Stogy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.