Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Chevy Coupe Front Axle Swap question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike1937, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Mike1937

Mike1937

Hi Everyone,

I'm replacing my knee-action front end on a 1937 Chevy Coupe with a straight axle. I found a 1956 Chevy/GMC front axle assembly (axle, steering arm, brakes, leafs) for $50.00. However I'm not sure it will fit. From what I learned, a 1937 Chevy car kingpin to kingpin distance is 50.5 inches, and 24 3/4 inches spring center to spring center. The 1956 Chevy Truck axle I'm considering buying is 55 inches (kingpin to kingpin) and 32 inches leaf spring center to center. (I believe these specs are for the 3/4 ton Chevy?)

Question: Whatever year axle assembly I go with, do these two specs have to match in order for it to fit?
    Question: Can anyone provide a range of years of make/model of straight axle assemblies that will fit in a 1937 Chevy Coupe?

Thanks so much!

Mike

2. alchemy

alchemy

So, right off the bat the axle is 5 inches wider, and the springs will sit 8 inches farther apart. Doesn't sound like that's the axle for you. I would bet if you had a little patience and asked around you could find a street rodder removing the axle and springs from his 37-38 Chevy to install a Mustang II IFS. You could probably get the frame bracketry too if he knew you needed it and didn't use a torch.

Hnstray and dana barlow like this.
  3. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

First of all, where are you from? I could find you several axles in fairly short order, but it does you no good if you're 1000 miles away.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Mike1937

Mike1937

Thanks so much for the quick response! I've messed around with cars, but still fairly new at all this...so thanks for confirming my assumption this wouldn't fit.

I'm in Arlington Washington, just North of Seattle...

Again, thanks!
    Mike

dana barlow likes this.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Don’t do the truck axle trade ! I had a friend that bought a 37 that had a truck axles swap . It was a butchered up mess x 10 . They just do no work correctly . Steering box had to be relocated and just about anything you could possible think of . The 37 - 38 car frames taper to the front . The correct spring hangers stick out from the front of the frame and correct this taper , they really need to be located and used , I have never had any luck using , springs that did not run parallel . The axle is not an issue , you can purchase a tube axle and attach , pads where ever you like . 50-54 brakes with 63 -68 hubs will give you nice old style brakes or there are tons of disc swaps out there .

6. Mike1937

Mike1937

7. I take my 38 Chevy Coupe to the Arlington car show every Sep. Maybe I'll see you there.

8. Joe H

Joe H

9. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

If you didn't like the knee action, Your not going to like the straight axle. I had the original axle on my 38 coupe years ago and everything was rebuilt and it still was hard to drive. There are better ideas out there

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I was thinking a lot of people used Econoline or Van axles ?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Mike1937 I have what you need....PM sent

Ray

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I used a econoline in my 37 but I narrowed it quite a bit I got it cheap and had good brakes, the econo only has about 2” of drop which I liked better also