Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Tapered Hollow Banjo Driveshaft in question AV8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by telecustom, Jul 1, 2013.

1. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

So what will it take to cut out about 16'' for an AV8? Why I want to go this route, well the banjo I have came from a well cared for car that was last registered in 1951 then stored in a barn to be restored from the original owner that pasted in the 1970's. The car was taken apart but never back together. The 10 spine banjo is in great shape, tight no leak and still full of fluid. The wheel baring races have no marks no pitting. I really don't want to pull it apart just to put in a worn out 6 spine and ring gear. Also is this banjo and only year with 10 spine or could I find a 33-34 driveshaft with 10 spine?

2. Is the 6 to 10 spline coupler not available any longer???

3. Andy

Andy

A 33-34 shaft would work fine and save the 35-36 shaft.

4. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Good options, Thanks.

5. walter

walter

I did it the hard way. I cut the center section with the bearing out of the tube. I then cut equal amounts out of each end of the tube and rewelded the bearing section back. The same machine shop was able to cut the shaft and respline it. When all done it is just like Henry made it.
    Walter