Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Studebaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bartikus, Feb 7, 2017.

1. My thoughts on it are this,
    Ryan's words in the about us section of the Jalopy Journal which owns the HAMB. I do not know how anyone on this site could suggest in good conscience that a restoration on that old Stude is a good idea. The abyss that separates rodders and custom builders from restorers is immense.

I would have to say that after 8 years of sitting the old car deserves to be built and driven. Hotrod or custom, either way just keep it trad or trad styled and drive it like you stole it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I think you have a good plan. Given the condition of the car it would be too hard and kind of pointless to restore it original.

The Mustang II or Pinto front end is a good choice, so is the 8" Ford with a small block engine. You will have a good, easy driving, fun car that does not kill you with expenses. The T5 is a great transmission. If you use the shifter from a pickup truck or van version (instead of the Mustang or Camaro version) the shifter will be right where the stock one was, and will look stock if you use the appropriate shift lever and knob.

All your glass is flat and can be replaced by any glass shop and is not too expensive. If you really want to save money, we used to buy bus windshields at the junkyard and cut them down ourselves. All you need is a glass cutter and a single edge razor blade and a bottle of alcohol.

If you have the time and the ambition you can do a lot yourself at minimal expense. The most costly things are body and paint work, chrome and upholstery. But they come toward the end of the project and there are ways to save money and get a good result there too.

3. 327Eric

327Eric

Just because you do an engine and suspension swap doesnt mean it has to look like a hot rod. It can look stock but be infinately more driveable and still honor your family heritage. But one day, a little stance
    Adjustment, some different rolling stock and you can take the look wherever you want.

koolkemp likes this.
  4. bartikus

bartikus

I keep thinking to myself how am I going to get the car on the road. That has been my deciding factor of what direction to go. It will definitely be HAMB friendly when I'm done with the car. I can't stand the street rod scene. Or big wheels. I really want to put artillery wheels on the car with white walls.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Well no one can be mad at you for artillery wheels or whitewalls. ;)

6. What exactly is wrong with your front axle now as it sets?

7. bartikus

bartikus

The axle itself is fine. One of the rotary shocks is broken (I have been able to locate a replacement), the leaf springs are broken, and brake parts for a 36 Studebaker are pricey. The brakes were locked up when we went to move it. It also needs king pins. I'm not apposed to leaving the factory front axle but it needs a lot of work.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Would you have any pics of one in a 35-40 chassis?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. I wouldn't leave the stock font brakes. I'd adapt something current that works with your new rear axle so you can use a Master cyl that is a full matched system. We do that quite often, no big deal. Just so you have an idea maybe call Oregon Spring at 1-503-234-9611 and see what a new pair of front springs cost. It don't cost anything to ask. I deal with them a lot and they manage to keep me happy. You might just be surprised how little it may cost to keep things simple.
    The Wizzard

10. bartikus

bartikus

Yeah I'll have to do some research, that might be a simpler option.

11. bartikus

bartikus

brigrat likes this.
  12. belair

belair

I don't want to be an ass, and mean no disrespect to you, your desire for the car, or your family's history and sentimental attachment to the car. My family has 2 trucks that have been with us since 1954 and 1958, so I get what you are wanting to do. BUT- you had better LOVE that car, because it is going to consume an unbelievable amount of time, energy, and money. And at the end of the rainbow, all you will have is a 36 Studebaker 4 door. I honestly wish you the best with it, but for your sake, I wish your grandpa and grandma had bought a 34 Ford coupe. Listen to advise these guys give. They will keep you from a lot of mistakes and dead ends.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow...Aside from the Mustang II raves, I'm shocked. Listen:

42 posts, and not ONE suggested a S-10 frame! Amazing...

The HAMB is 'hardening'. Like it has a bone. A HAMB Bone!

brigrat likes this.
  14. bartikus

bartikus

I do understand that in the end I'll still have a 4 door Studebaker. I had always wanted this car from when I was a kid. When the city told my uncle he had to get it out of his yard I was there to scoop it up. My grandparents drove it through the war. I know that I'll have more into the car then it will ever be worth and I'm ok with that. I wish my other grandfather's 39 Plymouth coupe hadn't got destroyed before he went to Korea. That would have been an awesome car. This is the last old car owned by one of my grandparents that's still in the family so yeah it does have a lot of sentimental value. So I'll build what I want and enjoy it. I think that is what matters the most. It's not like I'm building a 1977 4 door Nova.

15. bartikus

bartikus

I haven't posted on here in a while about my studebaker. I've been helping too many other friends with their cars and been dealing with my daily driver that developed a rod bearing knock back in March. So all my extra car money has gone to building a new motor for that car. I got the mustang 2 home from my buddies house on Saturday night. I have decided this is the route I want to go with the car. I know it's not "traditional" but I really don't care. I want this car to be driven, and trying to track down parts for a 36 studebaker is difficult and expensive. I just want this car on the road again and this is the way I can afford to do it. After my daily is fixed we are going to start wrenching on the old girl. I did pick up a set of white wall tires from a neighbor really cheap. They are about two years old and he wanted radials on his car. IMG_20180609_232309949.jpg IMG_20180605_200416228_HDR.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Terrible80 likes this.
  16. philo426

philo426

Yes do it that way.More practical and economical.Parts are much easier to come by too!

17. bartikus

bartikus

That was my thought, plus 4 door 1936 studebakers fully restored are worth about $10,000. So the car doesn't have the value to "restore".

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Your doing it the rite way for all the rite reasons!

Give some thoughts as to an aftermarket cradle for added strength. Cutting the above pictured Mll up to fit your frame will not be safe in my opinion........................................................................................

19. bartikus

bartikus

From the measurements I've taken it is pretty spot on widthwise, I have thrown around the idea of an aftermarket cross member also. I'll see where this takes me.