Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1936 Stainless Steel Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Oct 5, 2008.

1. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Here are a few shots of a 1936 Ford Tudor Sedan built for and owned by Allegheny Ludlum Steel. It was featured in a local parade with over 100 of our salaried, hourly and retired employees walking alongside. This is 1 of only 4 in existence and is the only one currently in running & in road worthy condition. The car is in exceptional condition, with the interior and even the frame looking great. All 4 cars each had over 200,000 miles on them before they removed them from service.

These cars were built for Allegheny as promotional and marketing projects. The top salesmen each year were given the honor of being able to drive them for one year. The v-8 engine (max 85 hp) ran like a sewing machine and WA S surprisingly smooth and quite. I thought this was a much better looking automobile than the Ford Thunderbird that visited us last year. FYI, the car was insured (we were told) for the trip to Louisville via covered trailer for 1.5 million dollars.

People were told that the dies were ruined by stamping the stainless car parts, making these the last of these cars ever produced.

More information of the history on these automobiles can be found at Allegheny Ludlum's website .. www.alleghenyludlum.com/pages/companyinfo/stainlesscars.asp

Attached Files:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! I've always wondered if they stamped them or custom built the bodywork. If you go the a stainless steel fab shop today you'll see how hard it is to fab flat counter tops, curved stuff must be next to impossable.

3. ratman

ratman

Very cool post thanks.

4. belair

belair

I had heard there were 3, and that as you said, stamping them ruined the dies. Cool pics, thanks.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Back in,..... I think it was 1975 or 76 , I remember seeing all three models the Lincoln, the Thunderbird and the 36 at the Ford Mercury restorers Show/Swap Meet, at Ford field in Dearborn.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool... wonder why they didn't do a roadster or pheaton instead.

7. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

wow...thats cool

8. skwurl

skwurl

Thats is something else.

9. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

Whenever I look through one of the metalshaping sites like metalmeet and see guys who've fabbed an entire body from scratch I wonder what it look like if done in stainless. I like it! No Bondo on that car!

10. It sure would change the hobby if all cars had been done in stainless. The only thing to worry about would be dents and tears. Of course our metal-men would have to really, really be good to do it without bondo.

11. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for the post.
    As a metal stamper that specializes in draw work I can really appreciate the work that went into this. I don't think the draw tools would have been destroied but I can sure as hell see how the trim tools would have been seriously damaged!!!!!

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

wow, just wow....

14. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

15. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

make mine a 3 window

16. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

these stainless fords were just brought up the other day here. crazy! : http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298519
    I took a few pictures of the '36 sedan, and the other two cars, a '60 tbird and a 67 lincoln, at the Crawford auto museum here in Cleveland. should be the last post on there. They are really awesome cars if anyone gets the chance to see them. the '36 especially is just plain awesome.

17. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

As rare and beautiful as it may be, someone here would still chop it and paint it flat black.........:eek:

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So, where is the flux-capacitor? Gary

19. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Thanks for sharing this bit of history. WOW!!!

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

6 of the 36's, two of the t-birds and two of the lincolns... hows that for massive cool.

21. Joe G

Joe G
    from Minnesota

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

I'll take the Lincoln, thank you.

22. 067chevy

067chevy

That is a beauty.

23. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Ford experimented with alternate metals as early as the 20s. I've seen pictures of a couple of shiny Model Ts that were formed of (I think) aluminum. As with the stainless cars, there were only a few.

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

......and then Ford's bean counters realized what a "bad" idea making cars that don't ever rust was - 'Naa, I don't think so. Let's just keep making them out of just the plain old steel'.

25. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

26. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

a tripple holly shit!!!!!!!!!!!

27. I volunteer at the Crawford Auto-Aviation museum. These are in the Crawford Collection.

<TABLE width=424 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=336>
    [​IMG]
    1936 Ford Model 68 Tudor Deluxe Sedan (stainless steel)
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG]
    1960 Ford Thunderbird(stainless steel)
    [​IMG]
    1966 Lincoln Continental 86 Convertible (stainless steel)

28. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

A local collector just found one of these 36s this summer about two miles from my house.A real barn find hes been chasing for years. Being restored now.Can only imagine what he paid for it.

29. Growing up a gearhead, in Cleveland, I too remember seeing these cars at the Crawford Museum. My elderly aunt just sent me an e-mail with this info and I just knew there would be a thread on the HAMB about these cars. There is a cool vintage stainless airplane, at the PEMA? airplane museum, near Phoenix, Arizona.
    JT

30. pipe u

pipe u

do you know how 1936 SS ford is coming along?