Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1936 Lincoln Model K or Edsel Ford's personal Custom?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jakespeed63, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You had me at golf club door.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  2. SR100

SR100

Whether or not it was Edsel's, it is a factory series custom K. Lincoln selected a few styles to put in their catalog. The coachbuilder built short runs of identical bodies 'in the white.' You could customize paint & trim when you ordered. I doubt someone of Edsel's taste would select that color.

X38 likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bandit Billy I hear you on the golf door but I doubt you could get one of todays condo sized golf bags in through it!;)

4. fortynut

fortynut

It's good to see custom factory and coach builder cars on this site. I had the chance to drive one of the post war Lincolns. It ran smooth as silk, but didn't have the kind of power I was expecting. Later on I met an older gentleman who was building a T Rod using one for the power plant. Unfortunately he passed away before completing it.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, but I don't just drive old cars, I also collect old golf bags. Waxed canvas and old cracked leather carry bags, you can almost smell the cigars and whiskey. The tales they could tell...and the lies. Kinda like the HAMB at times.

Texas Webb, GordonC and jakespeed63 like this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bandit Billy I have had a number of vehicles where they wouldn't fit in the trunk or any other place except the passenger seat. Which was ok by me.

7. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

The second generation Lincoln V-12 used in pre-WWII Zephyrs and Continentals was not about brute HP but rather "tractability" in the sense it would idle way down and then pull away in 2nd or 3rd (high) gear without balking or complaining.. When coupled with the Columbia 2 speed rear end or transmission overdrive it could provide very comfortable high cruising speed without buzzing the engine. These cars with also fitted with what Lincoln called "glider ride." The front crossmember (holding the traverse "buggy") speed fits into a second crossmember with a rubber liner that effectively insulates road noise from reaching the cabin. Lincolns have a conventioinal chassis and body shell like similar vintage Fords and Mercuries but the body is riveted/welded to the chassis which eliminates rattles, creaks, squeaks and the like. Anyone who says their vintage Zephyr/Continental has had a "body off" resto doesn't know what they're talking about. For the same reason you can't do a "body off" restoration on a Ford Mustang.
    Lucas