Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford with 1940 suspension and tranny question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matlack, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Matlack

Matlack

I have 1936 Ford 5 Window project and I bought a rolling 1940 chassis. What would be the problems I would have when I switch out the 36 front and rear suspension and attach the 40 ones? I just want juice brakes. What I have read it seams that the frames are the same so this should work right? I still have the old 36 front and rears also. They are the wide five wheels. Want to go with the 40-48 style wheels as well.

I also need to convert a open transmission to a closed one. I have a 1951 truck tranny and want to attach it to the 40 tube. what kit or parts do I need?

thanks for the advice!
    Matlack in Dallas

2. ahgarageohio

ahgarageohio
    from ohio

I believe a 36 axle is slightly narrower

3. Matlack

Matlack

thanks I will do a little measuring. I guess being wider is better that narrower, as long as it doesn't hit the fender.

4. blucar

blucar

If I understand what you are proposing to do, switch a '40 chassis into a '36, I would not bother. It is very simple to use any '40-42 front axle/brakes with the '36 wish bone. use the '36 pitman arm.. You can use the '36 column steering wheel and/or the '40. You will have to put the light switch on the dash in lieu of through the steering shaft.
    The rear end is also very simple, any '40 and later rear axle/springs will fit under the '36... I prefer the '42-48 axle housing/spring, two inches wider.. if you want an open drive line that can be more difficult, you will have to change the rear springs from the Ford buggy type.
    My '36 Ford cpe has a '41-48 2" dropped front spring with '41-42 spring, 36 wish bone, tube shocks, '40 steering gears with a 40 column..
    Rear axle is a '42-48 Columbia, 42-48 spring, '36 banjo/driveline, '37 radius bars, 47-48 column shift trans.. Rear shocks are tube on stock 48 mounts.. Stock '48 sway bar..
    The brakes are '42-48 with '39 drums, '36-39 wheels..
    Everything is a bolt together installation... The wider axles set the wheels out a little bite, 2" wider than '36-40, which does not present any problems..

5. alchemy

alchemy

Use the '40 spindles/brakes on the stock front axle with a new set of '40 kingpins. Use the '40 brakes on the stock '36 rearend.

The '40 pedals should work with a little carving on the '36's hole in the X member. But you will need to use a throwout arm like the '40 transmission uses, along with the accompanying ball on the frame.

The '40 steering is a better box, but you may need to use the frame mount from the '40 as well.

6. jr9162

jr9162

Was told 35 to 40 (and 41 truck) frames are the same. Nothing wrong in installing a 36 body on a 40 frame, running gear. You get all the advantages in steering, brakes, et. al. It's been done many times.

7. Jackjenks

Jackjenks

I purchased a 1940 front axle to put on my 36 sedan. The 36 control arms of the 36 wont fit on the 40 axle where the perch pins go through. I have found that where the perch pins go through the control arms
    the 40 axle is wider. So does a person grind of the control arms to make the opening wider? The opening on the wishbone is .2-.3 narrower. I am putting the 40 axle on because it is narrower and my wheels will sit in.

8. ...Are you certain that the '40 axle is narrower than the '36?

9. Looks like you are correct. I'm a little surprised.:) Early-Ford-Beam-Axles-2.jpg

10. alchemy

alchemy

33-36 axles and 37-41 axles have different dimensions, so their respective wishbones won't interchange without mods like the newby found out. Sure you can mill the opening a bit to fit the axle in, but then you will find the perch holes are not the same distance apart and you need to pull the 36 wishbone wider. Which messes up the wheelbase, and the spring might not fit properly into the crossmember. And you will need a wider spring too. Whew.

X38 likes this.
  11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have bolted in a 1940 Ford axle and wishbone and currently have a 38 ford axle and wishbone on my 36 ford with no issues.