Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1936 Ford Pickup steering column removal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edwardlloyd, Dec 4, 2019.

1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've not done this before so I'd like a little advice from some folks who have.

The catch 22 is as follows.

To remove the steering wheel, you need to withdraw the light switch rod. However it's too long and hits the roof before it comes out.

So what do I do? Drop the entire column/box down a bit before removing, or is it possible to remove the entire assembly with the steering wheel in place?

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Well I worked it out. You have to drop the box, tilt the column slightly and then withdraw the light switch up out of the doorway.

3. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Thanks for the update.

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Has anyone got any special tips to make replacing the worm easy, or at least possible? I've done it before and it was a nightmare.

I was thinking of cutting the old worm off carefully. Then heating the new one in a household electric oven for half an hour then fitting it. Would that work? 20191205_133118.jpeg

5. alchemy

alchemy

Might work. Last one I did I cut through the old worm, then used a brass hammer to pound on the new one. It was a nightmare.

I've seen guys press them on, and also seen them bend the shaft while pressing. If you try to press make sure to carefully protect the threaded end, and clamp some heavy angle to the shaft to keep it straight.

And make sure to show us pics of your successes (or failures).

6. I wo .uld think you would freeze the shaft in a large freezer. Heating the gear will make it expand in all directions so therefore shrinking the bore on the gear

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Yes I found it did. So I removed it and then I lightly hand sanded the shaft to reduce the diameter by a thou or so, then hammered the worm on cold. It took heavy blows towards the end but it ended up flush again and tight.

ABONES likes this.
  8. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Indeed. Pressing is no good. You need the shock blows of a hammer.