Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford Flathead V8 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Christopher Miller, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Started to assess the right fender some today. Replacing all of the metal related to mounting this fender since most of it is shot and the weight these bolt holes carry is tremendous. Last thing I need is this to give way in the long run. I don’t think I did too bad with this piece so far. Still needs metal cut and welds ground down but intend to attach it to the fender tomorrow.

Also ordered transmission gaskets, drive chain gaskets, and motor mounts today so as soon as those come in I can finish what needs done to the transmission. I can then install the transmission soon. Looking forward to finishing all this because the cab can be mounted back on after I get all that figured out.

The Cab mounts are already made thanks to my dad taking time out to cut new wood mounts the other day.

IMG_2472.JPG FEAFF288-F9FD-4908-B1A1-BF6745B3E7DE.JPG IMG_2468.JPG IMG_2469.JPG IMG_2473.JPG IMG_2474.JPG IMG_2475.JPG IMG_2476.JPG IMG_2477.JPG IMG_2479.JPG IMG_2480.JPG IMG_2483.JPG 782F5ED4-1134-4CE5-843F-B69172ACF1BE.JPG

2. Like I had said I would, it’s mounted

IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG

3. Replacing the whole mounting lip on the right fender and should be finishing that up today

Did this yesterday just forgot to take photos

IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG

I’ll have to make all the pieces uniform and grind down all the welds but just getting the replacement in place right now

What’s left to do

IMG_2531.JPG

4. Finished the inside mounting lip today. I’ll have to do the back lip where the step-up attaches to another day

IMG_2533.JPG IMG_2535.JPG IMG_2536.JPG IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2539.JPG IMG_2541.JPG IMG_2542.JPG

Surfcityrocker and simplestone like this.
  5. Wow, nice fix on that fender!

Christopher Miller likes this.
  6. Thanks!!

7. The paint (primer) is taking a while to get here and with the extra time on my hand I decided to do the door jams and this one is turning out quite well. With only a few spots needing more touch up work I decided to show you all.

IMG_2564.JPG

8. Found these photos of the metal fabrication work my dad had done. I knew I should give him the recognition he deserves so here it is. This seems like forever now. Much still needs done but proud of what’s been done so far

We learned after this that the 18 gauge we were using would be almost impossible to keep using for the rest of the project as it was very hard to bend. We decided 16 would work good for the rest and that’s what I’ve been using but this piece is 18 therefore seeming like it should hold up for a very long time

IMG_4445.JPG IMG_4446.JPG IMG_4447.JPG

9. While I wasn’t planning to do this today I squeezed it in last second. This is starting to fabricate new metal for the step
    Up and ends up being a big portion of it. I have a few questions as well if you wouldn’t mind replying to it below.

Here’s what I started with

IMG_2585.JPG IMG_2586.JPG IMG_2593.JPG IMG_2589.JPG

First I wire brushed it down by hand then secondly with a power drill. The whole top lip I intended to replace so I didn’t bother with brushing it.

IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2598.JPG

I started with the mount pieces below. These were quite hard to make just for the simple fact that my bender is large and these bends were so close to each other

IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2601.JPG

I then drilled the spot welds on one to see what I was really dealing with underneath. I wire brushed it after and it came clean

IMG_2603.JPG

Next I cut the top off

IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG

Next I flattened this piece, of what is left of it, so I could make a template to cut the new one.

IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2612.JPG

Lastly I cut the piece out and started bending and molding it and this is what I ended up with

IMG_2620.JPG IMG_2616.JPG IMG_2614.JPG IMG_2613.JPG

10. So before I plan to weld these mount pieces underneath I’d like to put a paint on the metal to protect it underneath but as I weld the weld will heat the metal and therefore peel the paint. Is there a weld able paint that I can use underneath?

Last question regards this impression in the metal
    IMG_2609.JPG IMG_2623.JPG

I have it marked for the new piece but since I don’t have a roller to put this into the metal is there another way to put it in? No one will see it and I probably won’t bother with it but just as future reference or if I decide to do it how would I?

IMG_2622.JPG

11. New motor mount came in the mail today along with gaskets to seal up the coupling shaft and more. Transmission gaskets somehow missed the order. Got that worked out and they’re on order and should be here Saturday.

IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2583.JPG

12. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Chris, there's something called weld-thru primer that you can use to prep metal before you weld it. Some people like it, others don't, I'm sure some others will chime in on that.

For that bead, you can form it with a hammer form. Somewhere around here I recall a thread where someone formed the beads on their floor panels that way...

Christopher Miller likes this.
  13. I haven’t posted recently due to heavy amounts of school work and chores to do around the house and found myself having plenty of time and while I didn’t get done neirly what I intended to I cleaned up the bell housing and a lot of surfaces to make clean for the gaskets I ordered. Also assessed many bolts to order new. The old bolts are useable but it never hurts to get new that aren’t rusty when they’re cheap, plus it adds a better look. Details, details, details. Hoping to paint the transmission, last bit of the frame, and many other little parts so I can be one more step to mounting the cab again.

IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2732.JPG IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2735.JPG IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2743.JPG

14. Today was mostly spent doing some final cleaning and prep to parts before paint. While it may not seem like it, a ton of time was spent taping and masking off the parts for paint.

[​IMG] IMG_2771.JPG IMG_2773.JPG IMG_2776.JPG IMG_2770.JPG

After everything was prepped for paint I put one layer on everything and will apply more to the transmission when the paint cures.

It’s good to see the transformation of this transmission and how much cleaning has paid off. It wasn’t perfect but still very improved

IMG_2788.JPG IMG_2786.JPG IMG_2789.JPG IMG_2790.JPG IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2792.JPG IMG_2793.JPG ]

Attached Files:

15. Next step is to drain the radiator to got get repaired and I can start to clean up this engine. Enter engine is cleaned and painted the drive chain can be put back together [​IMG]

16. The engine is mostly disassembled and I’ll start cleaning it and preparing it next. A lot needs done to make this ready for paint.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  17. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

What's your plan with those brakes?

18. Planning to keep it original unless we find something detrimentally wrong with them. I’ve gone through the front and back-right. We’re for sure going to replace the shoes when we find them online somewhere. My dad just got laid off this week so chances are we’ll be buying less. Hopefully project can continue and finish up well in time.

19. Started to clean the engine today. First I enclosed the area for some sand blasting and taped off all the engine ports.

Here’s how it looked before

[​IMG]
    IMG_2852.JPG IMG_2853.JPG IMG_2854.JPG IMG_2855.JPG
    IMG_2858.JPG

This is starting to be after. I need to degrease the oil pan and other areas but it’s a start. Didn’t fully get to right side. I’ll continue more later.

IMG_2859.JPG IMG_2860.JPG IMG_2862.JPG IMG_2866.JPG IMG_2865.JPG

Also wondering if there’s a way to get this pulley off without the engine turning or only with the transmission installed?

IMG_2864.JPG

20. Started to clean some of the axel components as before I really messed up and just painted over grime. Big mistake, now I know to clean them well before to get a good finish. Here’s how this turned out

IMG_2883.JPG IMG_2884.JPG IMG_2885.JPG IMG_2886.JPG

Before

IMG_2877.JPG IMG_2878.JPG IMG_2876.JPG
    IMG_2879.JPG IMG_2881.JPG

21. Another gasket I’ll be replacing. Gross IMG_2887.JPG

22. Got the transmission bolted up so I could get the hoist off the engine. Today was going to be my paint day but somehow forgot all about the area under the hoist. I degreased it today and got it relatively clean and I’ll sand blast again tomorrow, last time before painting
    IMG_2899.JPG

23. Sprayed some vinegar on it and then set up my makeshift sandblasting booth to keep sand from going all over the barn. Also taped off the transmission to protect it as I just painted it a few days ago. IMG_2909.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG

simplestone likes this.
  24. Sandblasted it this morning and then cleaned it. Taped it off and it’s ready for paint IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2915.JPG IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2917.JPG IMG_2919.JPG IMG_2920.JPG IMG_2921.JPG

25. Got the starter cleaned up and back installed

[​IMG] IMG_2953.JPG IMG_2954.JPG

26. Isn’t it crazy what a little bit of cleaning can do???

Here’s the pedal assembly before. I will probably rebuild this mechanism as it has some play but still “playing” around with the idea . I crack myself up...

IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2943.JPG

This is after I used a putty knife to get all the gunk chunks off

IMG_2945.JPG IMG_2946.JPG

Crazy how much came off!

IMG_2944.JPG

Here’s after some degreaser and a wire wheel

IMG_2947.JPG IMG_2948.JPG

Thinking of shinning this all up, polishing it, and clear coating it. Paint it or go for a chrome type look?

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  27. A lot of nuts, bolts, and washers came in for the drive train and cab mounting.

That’s “nuts”!

IMG_2971.JPG

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  28. This is gonna look good
    IMG_2972.JPG