Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1936 Ford car body mount question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, Jun 25, 2014.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

On the rear most body mount (bumper bracket to inner tailpan cage nut) is there a grommet between the two? If so how thick? Thanks-nate

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There weren't any grommets on my 3w, but after 75+ Years, who knows what's been changed?

Good question to ask on Ford Barn.

3. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

I've just taken delivery of a 36 five window coupe that I got from Chris Swenson on here. There's a rubber grommit/pad of some sort between the bumper bracket and where it bolts through to chassis. The thing about this car is that it's been off road since 1958 and is a great base so I think this rubber is original. I can try to measure it this evening uk time....bob

4. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thanks! Between the chassis and body. 36rokit is there a gap between them?

Attached Files:

5. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I can check my car tonight after work if you don't get an answer today. My car is on the lift and it will be easy to see.

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I can take a look at mine tonight if the question isn't answered definitively before then.

7. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Hi Nate....just been under mine and can't see any rubber at the point you outlined in red.....the area that is grey on the brackets you've shown is where rubber is on mine....hope that makes sense...bob

8. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Alright Nate, my car has a small rubber square in between the body and the mount. It's about 3/16" thick. I don't think the body has ever been off the frame and think it's factory ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403727918.368384.jpg

There is metal shims on the bumper mount side. Hope this helps. If you need anything else, let me know
    -Josh

9. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thank you! Totally makes sense. The ems tailpan when resting on the rear most cross member has a gap between the bumper brackets and pan :( I know it's not my frame or brackets they are both great. Good news though on the pads there is just enough room to fit them . This really does help thank you

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the info !! I'll need that for when (if?) mine ever goes back together........

11. Uptown83

Uptown83

Those are the only two bolts I didnt put back in my car :eek:

12. Joining the party here late! Josh's pic shows the factory setup accurately. The rubber piece would be about 3/16" to fill the gap, and I suppose, could be round as well as square. (Bumper shims metal, of course)
    Thanks for the reminder! I had put my two corner pieces in loosely, after blasting and painting years ago, and may have forgotten the grommet!