Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1936 ford 3 window body to frame placement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by octagasser, Sep 24, 2015.

1. octagasser

octagasser

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg View attachment 3012022 image.jpg I'm mocking up my 1936 ford 3 window mounting the body to the frame to start floor fabrication ---

Noticed there are two sets of holes where the cowl & rear door piller can mount.

Anyone know if the 3 window body is mounted on the further forward hole or the back hole. The holes are about 2.5 " apart .

Looks like there are two sets of holes for radiator placement as well.

On the old frame (that the body came on--assuming it is original frame but who knows). There are signs that the body was mounted to the more forward bolt hole

On the 1940 ford frame that I am now going to use---everything is aligning on the further back hole-

So I'm not sure..!!!??

In the pics---if cowl is mounted on further back hole ----the further forward hole will be visible just in front of where cowl meets the frame--

Someone may be able to check this on their 3 window --

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  2. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

On my '35 (and I'm sure '36 would be the same) it's the rearmost hole that is used for the front body bolt. From the front edge of the frame rail this hole is 35-3/4" back.

My '35 has only one radiator mounting hole - they started with two in 1936. I don't recall for sure, but think that the front hole was used on pickups only. I can verify this if no one else speaks up.

3. Yes...on the '40 frame, the cowl mounts using the rear hole. If you haven't swapped the radiator mounts for '35/36 mounts, you'll need to do that. There are two versions...one with a single hole, one with two holes. Both work, but if you use the two-hole mounts, you'll need to use the rear-most holes (closest to the firewall). The other holes are for trucks.

The only other thing I can think of are the holes for the headlight/fender mounts. On my car, late '35 5-window body (mounts the same as the 3 window), '36 front sheetmetal and rear fenders, on a '39 frame, there was one set of holes for the mounts. I just mounted the running boards and fenders and used the headlight mounts as a guide to drill the second set of holes.

If you don't already have a copy of Wescott's frame dimensions, you can get one here...

http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/Tech/FrameDiagram1935-40.pdf

It's pretty useful.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. octagasser

octagasser

Thanks Lamaion & rusk for the info---it does look like it is aligning with the rear set of holes---even the holes around the rear inner fenders & frame are aligning.

Yes---I have already switched out the radiator support frame brackets with ones from the 1936 frame.

Register now to get rid of these ads!