Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1936 Cord customized in 1944

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by daddio, Apr 20, 2014.

1. daddio

daddio

Trying to find out if anyone knows of this car. It was made into a 2 door roadster in May of 1944. Looks like a sectioned 40 Ford hood and grill.
    Thinking about picking it up.

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Pictures would help.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't even reply to posts without pictures.:rolleyes:

4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

5. daddio

daddio

Thought I had attached it sorry. Forgot the upload.

Attached Files:

6. elgringo71

elgringo71

This looks a lot like a car in another thread. I think it might be the same car, it was a made to look like a Cord but isn't one. Look for the thread can you help me find this car last seen in Texas. Maybe some one can help me create a link to the other thread. It tells the history of the car and that it was built by Martin S. Papazian.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. ahgarageohio

ahgarageohio
    from ohio

8. daddio

daddio

Second in line to buy it. I found out it was made in Cali by Spohn customs in the 40's and there were six of them made. Each a little different. One is in Texas and I'll try to track it down.

Attached Files:

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't believe any part of that car is actually Cord. MAYBE...and this is still doubtful, it's Graham Hollywood or Hupp Skylark derived as both of those have Cord body shell lineage.

Both the Graham and Hupp used flathead 6 cylinder engines, as the ad says it has. Also, this car appears rear drive, which Graham & Hupp were, but Cord was front drive.

Regardless of it's derivation, IMO, it's ugly.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that body is built from a 39 Chrysler. probably a sedan, and the old top is the new trunk area....

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Spohn was a German coachbuilder. I doubt they had anything to do with that car.

12. Drop StillOutThere a PM if your serious about purchasing this car . He is the most knowledgeable Spohn person here in the states . If this is a Spohn car it was modified in Germany in the post WWII era .
    A HAMB search for Spohn

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81344&highlight=spohn

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=10509439

While Spohn built cars are unique in their styling the workmanship is supposed to be excellent . Should be interesting to see what the future holds for this car .

13. A closer look at the pics makes me believe that this is not a Spohn built car . More than likely it is a garage built custom that was here in the US. The bumpers appear to be late 30's Briz style . Spohn would have custom made the bumper from scratch and the metal work around the windshield and upper rear body would have been done to a higher level.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree. I noticed that too but chose to address what it isn't, rather than
    what it is....but I think you nailed it. Also fits with the "flathead 6 cylinder".

The bumpers appear to be '49 Plymouth. "Briz" are styled in the manner of '37 Desoto 5 rib bumpers.

15. verde742

verde742

Hurts my eyes..

16. There's at least five things that car is not.
    Cord
    Graham
    Hupp
    Spohn
    Attractive

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think it is kind of cool. just needs a few "adjustments". I bet it is all Chrysler underneath... that would be fun.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

he must have had one of these when he was a kid.

Attached Files:

19. OLLIN

OLLIN

Yup. I dig it a lot. The only thing I would change is the dip in the doors. But cool car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Ole don

Ole don

Put your mind back to when it was new. It is different. It is a roadster. It is low. It attracts attention. Restore it, and all the above will still be true.

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You read my mind, almost word for word

22. Hmmm, if Spohn really built this in '44, they would have to be dodging bullets and bombs...

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I for one am very glad to find out that NOBODY did that to a real Cord.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so if it is worth $6,000.00 as a Cord, how much is it worth now that it is a Chrysler?

25. Clearly the car was a 1939 Chrysler.

26. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

The dip in the door, although exaggerated is called a "sweetheart" dip and appeared in England on pre-ear MGs and other sports cars. It showed up in the US on Dutch Darrin's prewar Packard convertibles and occasionally on post war customs and seems to be a typical styling trait of "sports customs" made after WWII and into the mid fifties. A more subtle form is seen on 1953 GM high-end convertibles like the Cadillac Eldorado, Buick Skylark and Oldsmobile Fiesta. It returned on English sports cars of the 1950s like the Triumph and Singer.

27. Thanks PalosFV. As has already been said, it is not Spohn, nor is it Cord. The Spohn Carosserie in Ravensburg, Germany had some war time project contracts but none of them were cars. The earliest custom car that Spohn built after the war was in 1950.