Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Chevy truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skippycraig, Dec 26, 2011.

1. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Went over to my dads house tonight and found a old Dixco tach. Looks like early 60s and should look good on the column.

Attached Files:

2. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Now the fun part, frame is coming together.

Attached Files:

3. I thought you were going to install a pancake motor so you would have room for the generator under the hood?

With that engine it will never fit without a BIG scoop...

Nice progress dude...

4. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

Looking good!

5. pukejohnson

pukejohnson
    from BREMERTON

Get those chrome wheels mounted.

6. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Scott still trying to find brackets for generator. Puke still haven't found the right tires for front.

Todays progress started by reading Flathead Ernies post on t5 transmissions, one of the best threads on the hamb. After reading as much about t5 as i can handle the plan is to take an Fbody T5 with correct gear ratio and other goodies and put a s10 t5 tailshaft on for perfect shifter location. I guess I'm about halfway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  7. I had to extend the splines on my input shaft to allow the clutch disk to slide back far enough to disengage... just a heads up.

8. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Thanks Mike! well it's back together and I even made a new shifter to bolt my hurst stick to.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Build looks great. Can you post a pic with the cab on and bench seat in so I can see the difference with the new tail shaft. I am also building a 36' and want to see if running a T5 leaves the bench practical to use. I have twin 7 year old boys. Thanks

10. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

The s10 tailshaft was the only one I could make work, camaro tail put shifter right under the middle of the bench. I'll look for a picture with camaro tailshaft.

11. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Made progress today, modified the core support to clear the rack. I cut about 3 inches from the bottom and boxed from side to side. The ramhorns had a ton of casting marks, numbers, and bumps so I smoothed everything and painted them with some por15 manifold paint.

Attached Files:

12. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

I think you misunderstood me. I was wanting to see a pic with the new s10 tail shaft, after you put the cab back on. Thanks.

13. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

I'm an idiot! Did not realize the pic with your seat shows the s10 tail housing. Kind of assumed it was chronological. Thanks

14. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Bolted the wheels on and rolled it outside to clean the floor before I take on brake and fuel lines. I'll have more pictures and updates soon.

Attached Files:

15. Great progress!

Do you think it will be a driver for summer?

16. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Hopefully be on the road in time for Haven Lake rod run in july. Kenny G and I are starting body work next week and it's gonna be shinny

17. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

You guys are killing me here. My dad built a 36 low cab in the earlie 80s. I located it awhile back but its in disaray and the guy wants alot more than ita worth. I may try to work a deal when I finish my recent project.

18. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Stick with the guy never know when he might need some cash. Would be a blast to get your dads truck back on the road. Good luck

19. pukejohnson

pukejohnson
    from BREMERTON

Looking good Cuz!!!

20. HungThrottlePodcast

HungThrottlePodcast
    from Wisconsin

Thank you for posting the thread.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  21. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Ok have brakes with good pedal feel and no leaks. I figured out the most important part while making the brakelines is not to bottom out flare on double flare and use a drop of oil on the die.

Attached Files:

22. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Now I have the third pedal that make driving so much fun. Novak adaptors hydraulic clutch slave cylinder bracket for sbc bell and wilwood master cylinder. BW T-5, Sig Erson cam, and straight pipes.

Attached Files:

23. CGkidd

CGkidd

Looks damn nice. I need to get some more done on mine.

24. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Alan Grove components sells this trick little alt bracket for about $80, they work smooth if you wanna run a hood. Sorry generator police I bought this one wire GM alternator at a fleet supply house for $45.

Attached Files:

25. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Thanks CGkidd! Hoping to have it driving by this summer and be in your neck of the woods. Craig

26. John68rs

John68rs

Love your build! Thanks for the thread. My Dad drove a '36 low cab daily for years. I hope to get it back one day. If not, I'm hoping to find and build my own. Thanks again!

27. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Bought a gas tank from Yogis, fits nice and you can't see daylight inside like the old tank.

Attached Files:

28. out plowing

out plowing

How does that seat work for taller people. I am working on a 37 and was going to use a Glide seat, but being 6'3" it makes a tight fit with stock seats.. I would like to get it down and back a bit

~adam

29. raymay

raymay

I agree. When I did my 37 pickup which has the same cab as a 36, I was able to move the front floor pan about 3" and gained some nice leg room. I am about 5'7". I also made mine a kingcab which allowed me some nice travel with my seats. Another trick was to angle my dash and then I added to the bottom to accommidate the heat/AC.
    Your truck is looking cool. Good luck and have fun.

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      360.5 KB
      Views:
    • 37.JPG
      37.JPG
      File size:
      117.5 KB
      Views:
    • 42.jpg