Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 chevy truck 235 t5 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty truck, Jan 31, 2009.

1. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

Broke the driveshaft in the original torque tube rearend. So now I'm updating the entire drivetrain in the truck. 1955 235 with a nicson intake, t-5 transmission and an s-10 rearend. Now I'll be able to go over 30 mph without hearing the bearings being pounded out of the motor. Tell me what you think, but i'll still do what I want.

Attached Files:

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I think I'd like to trade you that 3x1 intake for my Edelbrock 2x1 intake :D

I been looking for a Nicson Chevy 6 intake..

3. rick finch

rick finch

Right on the money! Two thumbs up.................way up!!!!:cool:

4. you are on the rite track!...cool truck.

5. ken1939

ken1939

Post some pics and part numbers (so to speak) of your changeover please!

6. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i think you need the `53 corvette exhaust manifold that`s under my work bench on that truck. nice ride!

7. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Nice truck, I am about to do a similar swap in my 48 Chevy. let me know what all you do, I am still gathering parts?

8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

VERY cool. Please post progress pictures!

9. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

The truck has sweet patina, but is still solid. I want to keep most of the truck as original as possible. An early machine that has been loved. To make the power plant bolt right in without major molesting I searched quite a bit for parts solutions.

The brake and clutch pedal bolt to the bell housing on the commercial truck, a 207 bell housing will not bolt right up to a 235. a 216 housing will but it needs to be a commercial housing. Mine came off a 1939 1 ton chevy truck.

The 55 water pump is too long to fit without moving the radiator or pounding the fire wall. I bought an adapter plate off ebay so i could bolt a 1947 ish water pump.

with the new water pump the 55 stock harmonic is too large and takes a narrow belt. If i ran a narrow belt that would solve one problem but the water pump would be driven too fast and would cavitate. I dug around in my box of parts and found an early harmonic with the right dims. I think it is off a 40 passenger car.

wanted to keep the foot pedal starter so i used the flywheel off of the 39 1 ton truck. It had a lrage 11"+ clutch disk. to match up to the t5 transmission I dropped the clutch off at rochester clutch and brake. Sam rebuilt the clutch and mad a new friction disk with a t5 center. I am extremely pleased with his work.

Waiting on an adapter plate from buffalo enterprises to bolt the t5 up.

My Father bought the intake at Carlisle. I told him that i was interested and he sold it to me. I bought this truck 3 years ago and when I first saw it I knew that it would be the intakes new home. The truck ran great so I've been collecting parts for that inevitable day when it would give up the ghost.

I know that many people have problems with a triple single on a 235. I rebuilt all the carbs and jetted them down. I built a progressive linkage setup that keeps the outboard carbs closed and primarily runs off of the center carb. At 1/4 throttle the outboard carbs engage. I made the linkage adjustable to be able to change carb timing.

That is primarily the engine I'll talk about the transmission and rear end later.

Still need to address the speedometer gear pick up. Do not want to spend 100's.

looking for early t5 s10 tail shaft housing

Attached Files:

10. reverendjim

reverendjim

i m doing the t5 in my 50 bel air although i would use a tri 5 rear end with 3.36 gear betterr rpm ranges.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 57 235/T-5 in my 37 p/u and its alot better then when it had the original trans and rear end,I added a dropped axle with disc brakes and used a 8 inch in the back. I installed a set of reproduction artillery wheels and reatined the original hubcaps so my truck looks basicly stock only lowered about 4 inches,you will like it with the T-5 as mine is fun to drive now and can go down the highway. Jeff

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

Rusty Truck,I live in Onatario NY not too far from Rochester.Was your truck for sale around here about 2 years ago?
    I did the 235-261 water pump adapter on four engines with the end result being better than a shortened stock pump.I have a 89 T-5 from a V-6 S10.It's minus the tail housing,has really nice looking gears,you can have it for free, PM me if you want it.

13. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

No I purchased my truck in lockport and has not been offered 4 sale since. Thanks for the offer on the t5 but all I need is the missing piece on yours. The tailshaft housing.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Best quote of the day! Love those Nicson intakes.

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I think a better trans is THE best upgrade for a stovebolt. I drove the snot out of mine. Any one looking for a t5 swap "kit"? I got one for sale.

16. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

FWIW, perfect.

17. gas pumper

gas pumper

I bought a mech speedo tail housing on the bay last year for 45 bucks. A trans guy from florida. Easier to search the bay than junkyards. At least here where there ain't no more yards.

18. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Hopefully, by the sound of your posts that you will be avoiding the norm around here and will be keeping your fenders and not Z'ing the frame.

BR

19. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I think that this will make a nice setup for you. Are you going to use the stock radiator? Change it over to 12 volt.

20. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

using the stock rad and keeping the six volts. not the best choice, I know the rad has the cooling capacity but using six volts is like playing the lottery whenever she starts (will it? will it ? Yess!!!!!) I just love to gamble.

21. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

oh check this out. Picked it up this weekend

Attached Files:

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Converting to 12 volts is easy,you can use all the originall switches and can get 12 volt bulbs for the original headlights. You can get rid of the generator with the cut out and wire one up with a regulator (3 wires) and 3 of the 4 gauges are mechanical,there is supposively a shunt to use with the amp gauge which I have not done with my 37 yet and you can still use a 6 volt foot stomp starter without damaging it. Jeff

23. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

I must say you have alot in common with me and my son:D My son is running a triple nicson setup on his 58 truck thats the first thing in common. Second the intake you just pickted up well i got one of those 2 lol:D. Also i have a 36 chevy truck just like yours also with the spare mounted on the fender and mine will recieve arttileries. And to top it all off mine will also run a 235/t5 setup. You truck build is looking mighty good actually way better than mine. Its nice to see yours was running too. What kind of rear end are you going to run in it? Looks pretty sweet. Cant wait to see more progress.

24. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

So the truck is here at school in the auto lab. It's a great oppurtunity for the students to be able to tear into a car and put it back together in a short period of time. Well the plan was to pull the old drivetrain and drop in the new one. After they pulled the drivetrain it was discovered that the frame was bent. Well off came the cab, and while we are at it, that cloth covered harness has to go. It's more money then i wanted to spend but the students are doing a pretty good job. They won't tell me but I think they are enjoying it. enjoy the pics. the last one is a petrified rat they found behind the seat. I know how everyone on this board LOVES rats.

Attached Files:

25. right on the money...very cool

26. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

Body went back on today to check clearance issues. One more step closer to being done. now with the suspension under load we were able to set the rear pinion angle and measure up for a drive shaft.

Attached Files:

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

great project. The patina look really works!

28. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

thanks for the compliment, I think it's a complinent. :)

29. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

You will be so happy with the T-5 setup. Best thing I did to my truck, made 600 mile road trips a reality.

30. Baddtrigger64

Baddtrigger64

Way Bitchin'!!!!!Doing the 235, T-5, S-10 rear myself. I wish my truck had as much paint as yours...