Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 chevy steering box. A little help please

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 61stude, Jan 17, 2015.

1. 61stude

61stude

I have a '36 chevy master sedan and I need to rebuild the steering box. It has tons of play. I can't find any kits or replacement parts. I'm trying to figure what to do. The car is using a speedway straight axle and I was planning on using traditional steering.

So does anyone make rebuild kits for these? If I have to go with something else, then what is a good/decently priced box to use?

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

stude, there is a company that advertises in the A.A.C.A. magazine called Lares Corp., www.larescorp.com. All they do is steering components, they might be able to help.

3. 61stude

61stude

Thanks woodie. I sent them a message. Hopefully they can help. Working on oddball stuff leads to problems sometimes.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. ken1939

ken1939

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Hi, I rebuilt a 1938Chevy steering box back in the 80"s and it still was bad. Had a 6" dropped axle on it and you didn't steer it you aimed it. It was really bad when you got in some ruts on the road. On my 1934 Chevy I just built I used Heidts super ride with rack & pinion, expensive but well worth the money.

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you change steering boxes, look into a 55 - 59 Chevy / GMC pickup. It worked well in my 34 Chevy coupe, and rebuild parts are available and it's traditional. In addition, 58 -60 Impala steering wheels bolt right onto them. Yeah.....I'm using a 59 Impala steering wheel in my 34.

7. Joe H

Joe H

Looking at my 1937 Chevrolet Engineering Features Manual, it seems Chevrolet used two different gear boxes for the cars, the Master Deluxe and Master series in 1936. The Master gear box is the simpler of the two and very much like the truck gear boxes inside. Nothing to complicated.

Have you had it apart yet? There are adjustments that do help a lot. You can replace the bushings from a local bearing dealer, they will be a standard size, and make your our gaskets. The rest you hope is in good shape. Here is a GM manual on gear boxes, these are newer then yours, but the adjustments are the same. Yours will be gear on gear, no roller balls or cages.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/booklets/52mts20/5220mts01.htm

The wear points will be on the steering shaft worm gear and sector shaft teeth, both right in the center. If they are bad enough, you will run out of adjustment before getting them tight. This is common on boxes that ran with out gear oil or on really rough roads. I took more then 1/2 a turn of free travel out mine with just adjustments.

Check with this guy for parts, he has helped me out in the past and has a lot more parts then he has listed.
    http://stores.ebay.com/bbsoldautotruckparts/

Your gear box uses a 1/2 ton truck sector shaft from '33-'36, the worm gear and shaft assembly is a different part number for '36 Master only, but I would bet it's the length only and one of the previous years could be made to work if needed.

Parts manual,
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/index.htm
    Shop Manual,
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1934/index.htm

Joe

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

9. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Rock Auto advertises they will rebuild your 36 sector and send it back to you. Mine is worn out and I guess I'll send it to them. They have been good to me.