Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1936 Chevy Frame...X-Member Help Needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Nov 7, 2008.

1. MBL

MBL

Ok. So here is a semi update to the project. I picked up a 1936 Chevy frame for my 32 Pointiac 5-window Coupe. It has front and rear crossmembers made out of square tubing, but both of these will be coming out in favor of Model A front and rear crossmembers.

The stock 1936 center X-member has been removed unfortunately, so I will be looking into some ideas for this. My first thought was to put in 34-style center member. Anyone have other ideas?

For those who are unfamilliar with the project, I am running a 48 Caddy Flathead, 34 front bones and axle, and a banjo/quick change rear. The body will be chopped 2" and chanelled over the frame.

Show some pics of your X-members if you got. Thanks
    Tim
    MBL

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think that I have already mentioned this, but I have the most pristine 1931 Chevy Chassis if you need it. It would match the contours of the body and you would be ahead of the game. I really don't want to get rid of it but I need room. If I end up keeping it, I would like to start a replica of the Dickie Flippens '32 Chevy. Just thought I would add that before I tell you I am excited about your build.

I am going to run a '40 ford X member in my '31 Chevy or perhaps a Ionia Hot Rod X member that you can order from VAPHEAD.

3. MBL

MBL

You have mentioned the frame to me before...I have seen that Ionia Hot Rod x member..How much do they go for? Are they linked on the HAMB vendors.
    Tim
    MBL

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

33-34 was the first year of the X-member in Ford frames.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

They go for $350 which may seem a but high, but when you figure that the 40 ford frame is pretty useless with out that X member it makes a bit more sense. Sorry for mentioning the frame again. I just want it to go to someone that will appreciate it if I have no use for it yet......yet. I have an idea!

Anyways VAPHEAD may be able to knock the shipping off the price.

[​IMG]

6. MBL

MBL

I have to check my frame profile...and see if these pieces will fit in the frame rails.
    Thanks for the pic...You have any pics of your 31 frame?
    Tim
    MBL

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here is a couple when we took the body off, I know it's not the greatest shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. inspectorcurly

inspectorcurly

Thin wall Extruded Channel and a hole saw will get the look your after and be totally custon as is your rod, just bend to fit with an exhaust pipe bending machine flatbar and an ol 2 x 4 cut to fit to prevent kinks u can usually get your buddie at the local muffler shop to help. the channel steel can be purchased at the local steel yard or steel recycling yard the latter will be cheaper. Remember real hot rodders make their own stuff if possible thats where the real craftsmanship comes into play. Good luck roddin from a purist.:)
    Chuck

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You could always pie cut that X member and stretch it out or bring the sides in to your desired width.

10. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Just so you know,
    Also included in that price on the IHRS x-member from Riley Auto is the upper and lower floating transmission mount. "Put it where it needs to be and cut it where you have to".

All available through Riley Automotive with a Hamb discount!!